Class warfare?

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 11:50:08 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Well kind of...
There exists in American society a class of "working poor" and a class of "lazy poor." It seems obvious that the "lazy poor" strips opportunities from the working poor by siphoning off much needed aid either through government or private charities.

My question to DDO is this: Do you think the "lazy poor" exists in significant numbers to the point where real harm is done to the "working poor" and real harm is done to the economy? Or is this an overblown sentiment?
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 1:29:55 PM
I don't really think there is any difference. If a good hard-working honest "working poor" person gets laid off ( at no fault of his own because rich bankers fvcked the economy) he becomes lazy poor because he needs food stamps to feed his family.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 4:14:03 PM
At 3/13/2013 11:50:08 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
Well kind of...
There exists in American society a class of "working poor" and a class of "lazy poor." It seems obvious that the "lazy poor" strips opportunities from the working poor by siphoning off much needed aid either through government or private charities.

My question to DDO is this: Do you think the "lazy poor" exists in significant numbers to the point where real harm is done to the "working poor" and real harm is done to the economy? Or is this an overblown sentiment?

Mm-hmm, divide and conquer, i.e. divide the poor into two categories, the "working" and the "lazy" poor, and divert the energies that they should be constructively devoting to the struggle for economic justice into the internecine animus that you thereby foster between them. At any rate, keep focusing all blame and criticism on the poor and the little guy, lest we ever assign any to the rich and powerful, i.e. the heroes of your pro-capitalist ideology. Btw, they, your capitalist heroes, very much appreciate the way that your ideology rationalizes and protects the plutocratic status quo and would like you to keep up the good work of misdirecting public anger about the state of the economy.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 4:16:14 PM
At 3/13/2013 4:14:03 PM, charleslb wrote:
Well kind of...

Mm-hmm, divide and conquer, i.e. divide the poor into two categories, the "working" and the "lazy" poor, and divert the energies that they should be constructively devoting to the struggle for economic justice into the internecine animus that you thereby foster between them. At any rate, keep focusing all blame and criticism on the poor and the little guy, lest we ever assign any to the rich and powerful, i.e. the heroes of your pro-capitalist ideology. Btw, they, your capitalist heroes, very much appreciate the way that your ideology rationalizes and protects the plutocratic status quo and would like you to keep up the good work of misdirecting public anger about the state of the economy.

So do you think there is no problem with some lazy people sucking the life out of the working poor?
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 4:16:16 PM
Also, http://www.debate.org... , sixth post from the bottom

http://www.debate.org... , several posts on this page, including the twelfth from the bottom and the tenth from the top
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 4:17:56 PM
At 3/13/2013 4:16:14 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Well kind of...

So do you think there is no problem with some lazy people sucking the life out of the working poor?

Would any of those lazy people include members of the capitalist leisure and exploitative class?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 4:20:12 PM
At 3/13/2013 4:17:56 PM, charleslb wrote:

Would any of those lazy people include members of the capitalist leisure and exploitative class?

If they are stealing charity and government aid from hard working poor families, then yes of course.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 4:22:16 PM
Well kind of...

Mm-hmm, if we're going to have anything approaching a good faith discussion of the lazy people sucking the life out of the working poor we have to stop looking down upon the poor and raise our critical gaze up in the direction of the folks at the top of the capitalist food chain!
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 4:24:05 PM
At 3/13/2013 1:29:55 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
I don't really think there is any difference. If a good hard-working honest "working poor" person gets laid off ( at no fault of his own because rich bankers fvcked the economy) he becomes lazy poor because he needs food stamps to feed his family.

Not at all, some people work and still can't make enough money to get by so the foodstamps and such are necessary. Then there are the chronically lazy, It's the guy who names his kids after video game characters, get's handouts from the government, can't be bothered to get a job and lets his family live in a filthy trailer with no heat or electricity. The lady who's too fat to move without a chair and can't be bothered to get any sort of job, let's the state cover her costs through disability and lets 4 window AC units run all day while keeping all the windows open.
These are all anecdotal examples, but their stories don't come out in any statistic. There are dozens of examples just like these in every community. By all accounts terrible human beings, bringing up kids who are destined to fall in their footsteps through no fault of their own.
On top of that some people just honest to god like being poor. Offer the guy that goes around collect cans a job and he says he likes what he does.
There is most definitely a divide in the welfare community.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 4:33:32 PM
At 3/13/2013 4:20:12 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

If they are stealing charity and government aid from hard working poor families, then yes of course.

What about the fact that their MO stagnates, i.e. steals a decent wage from working poor folk; and, moreover, the fact that their malfeasant MO has caused a recession that's robbing millions of innocent working-class victims of well-being and the middle-class future that they were looking forward to; and the fact that they're engaged in gypping our whole society by not paying anything approaching their fair share of taxes; and the fact that they unethically wield a massive amount of political clout in a fashion that benefits them at the expense of John & Jane Q. Proletarian and Consumer? Etc.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 4:47:12 PM
The biggest drain on the system are the big fish who use it to support themselves. The likes Goldman Sachs and GE. But everyone is fixated on the poor people forced into horrible living conditions by what is oftentimes no fault of their own and tossed a pittance on which to survive. I suppose that works out to the government's and their corpulent corporate symbionts' best interest. Such is to be expected when they control the education system, especially of the poor, and have the mainstream media whipped into ovine submission.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 4:50:36 PM
At 3/13/2013 4:47:12 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
The biggest drain on the system are the big fish who use it to support themselves. The likes Goldman Sachs and GE. But everyone is fixated on the poor people forced into horrible living conditions by what is oftentimes no fault of their own and tossed a pittance on which to survive. I suppose that works out to the government's and their corpulent corporate symbionts' best interest. Such is to be expected when they control the education system, especially of the poor, and have the mainstream media whipped into ovine submission.

It's like blaming teacher tenure for the few bad teachers out there, as if teachers are what's wrong with the education system.

Basically, you can't burn anything if effigy unless you first create the effigy, and we know these people have a long history of enjoying effigy burnings.

They simply quit being so literal about it.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 5:01:35 PM

So things like ethanol subsidies are a much larger drain on the working poor than the lazy poor.... okay.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 5:08:22 PM
Speaking of ethanol subsidies... it kinda ticked me off that I went to fuel up yesterday and I noticed a sticker claiming "Enriched with 10% ethanol"... what now... is "enriched" a euphemism for "spiked with?"
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 5:09:22 PM
At 3/13/2013 5:01:35 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

So things like ethanol subsidies are a much larger drain on the working poor than the lazy poor.... okay.

No, but the bailout, the recession caused by Goldman's repackaging of toxic mortgages, which they then essentially took out bets against as they released them into the market (this was blatant instance of fraud for which they were never punished), the oil speculation bubble spearheaded by them, and the laddering of IPOs during the NASDAQ bubble have caused much more irreparable harm to the working poor than welfare queens ever have.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 7:44:45 PM
Well kind of...

Mm-hmm, divide and conquer, i.e. divide the poor into two categories, the "working" and the "lazy" poor, and divert the energies that they should be constructively devoting to the struggle for economic justice into the internecine animus that you thereby foster between them.

The message you are sending: "Don't get a job kids, just try to overthrow your gov't so it's communist".

At any rate, keep focusing all blame and criticism on the poor and the little guy, lest we ever assign any to the rich and powerful, i.e. the heroes of your pro-capitalist ideology.

Yes, it's easy to become rich. I can just snap my fingers and the money will come in wads of 100 dollar bills. You need work ethic to become wealthy, something your parents apparently never taught you

Btw, they, your capitalist heroes, very much appreciate the way that your ideology rationalizes and protects the plutocratic status quo and would like you to keep up the good work of misdirecting public anger about the state of the economy.

So you are saying the problem isn't our massive gov't spending, it's that we are not spending enough? Typical leftist, don't try to solve a problem by stopping the roots of it, expand the roots of it!
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 7:48:34 PM

The difference is, businesses usually give more to the economy than they take. People on welfare do not. I know, it's cruel to be logical and efficient.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 8:29:19 PM
At 3/13/2013 7:48:34 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:

The difference is, businesses usually give more to the economy than they take. People on welfare do not. I know, it's cruel to be logical and efficient.

What has Goldman Sachs given to the economy, aside from blatant fraud, two stock market crashes, inflated oil prices and a curt demand for a tidy bailout? Businesses don't buy government patronage and protection for the hell of it, they do it to drain taxpayer dollars while gaining the unfair competitive advantage necessary to crush more innovative and efficient competitors.
- Hilaire Belloc -
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 8:33:01 PM

Not at all, some people work and still can't make enough money to get by so the foodstamps and such are necessary. Then there are the chronically lazy, It's the guy who names his kids after video game characters, get's handouts from the government, can't be bothered to get a job and lets his family live in a filthy trailer with no heat or electricity. The lady who's too fat to move without a chair and can't be bothered to get any sort of job, let's the state cover her costs through disability and lets 4 window AC units run all day while keeping all the windows open.
These are all anecdotal examples, but their stories don't come out in any statistic. There are dozens of examples just like these in every community. By all accounts terrible human beings, bringing up kids who are destined to fall in their footsteps through no fault of their own.
On top of that some people just honest to god like being poor. Offer the guy that goes around collect cans a job and he says he likes what he does.

For every poor person that is "lazy" there are more who use social programs to improve themselves and hence the USA economy. This can be seen as countries with more social programs have higher economic mobility.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 9:15:29 PM
At 3/13/2013 8:33:01 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

For every poor person that is "lazy" there are more who use social programs to improve themselves and hence the USA economy. This can be seen as countries with more social programs have higher economic mobility.

Why is lazy in quotes? I didn't say it didn't help people who need it, I said there are millions of lazy, not 'lazy', lazy people who don't deserve any kind of help because they refuse to help themselves.
You've never been at line the grocery store and had someone trying to sell you a 50 dollar gift card for 30? Somebody on an Iphone paying with foodstamps in front of you?
It's a sad thing watching the little old lady in front of me buying a loaf of bread and a half gallon of milk with foodstamps,fact is that there are absolutely two different kinds of people using the system.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 10:16:21 PM
Well kind of...

laziness isn't the issue

http://crooksandliars.com...

charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 12:18:13 AM
At 3/13/2013 10:16:21 PM, malcolmxy wrote:
Well kind of...

laziness isn't the issue

Amen!!!!!!!!!

(There, you see, when someone actually says something intelligent and in-touch-with-reality I simply agree, I don't respond with insulting criticism. It's not my fault that conservatives and right-libertarians so seldom can muster something as simple but sagacious as the observation that "lasiness isn't the issue".)
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 12:34:16 AM
At 3/13/2013 4:33:32 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 3/13/2013 4:20:12 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

What about the fact that their MO stagnates, i.e. steals a decent wage from working poor folk; and, moreover, the fact that their malfeasant MO has caused a recession that's robbing millions of innocent working-class victims of well-being and the middle-class future that they were looking forward to; and the fact that they're engaged in gypping our whole society by not paying anything approaching their fair share of taxes; and the fact that they unethically wield a massive amount of political clout in a fashion that benefits them at the expense of John & Jane Q. Proletarian and Consumer? Etc.

A typo correction. I was in a hurry typing the above sentence and as a consequence omitted several words, here's the corrected version:

What about the fact that their MO stagnates wages, i.e. in effect steals a decent wage from working poor folk; and, moreover, the fact that their malfeasant MO has caused a recession that's robbing millions of innocent working-class victims of well-being and the middle-class future that they were looking forward to; and the fact that they're engaged in gypping our whole society by not paying anything approaching their fair share of taxes; and the fact that they unethically wield a massive amount of political clout in a fashion that benefits them at the expense of John & Jane Q. Proletarian and Consumer? Etc.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 12:41:24 AM
At 3/14/2013 12:18:13 AM, charleslb wrote:
Well kind of...

laziness isn't the issue

Amen!!!!!!!!!

(There, you see, when someone actually says something intelligent and in-touch-with-reality I simply agree, I don't respond with insulting criticism. It's not my fault that conservatives and right-libertarians so seldom can muster something as simple but sagacious as the observation that "lasiness isn't the issue".)

I'm sorry. I promise never to do it again.

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 3:58:23 PM
Well kind of...

laziness isn't the issue

http://crooksandliars.com...

Thanks for your opinion.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 6:45:17 PM
At 3/14/2013 4:35:28 PM, darkkermit wrote:
The statistics seems to imply that the poor are poor because they do not work as many hours:

http://en.wikipedia.org...

how dare you use that dirty implication...lazy....
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 2:39:49 AM
Well kind of...

I agree with charleslb on this. Greyparrot's dichotomy is simply not representative of the problem. The problem is not between the working poor and the lazy poor, but of productive people vs. lazy people, regardless of if they are rich or poor.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 6:06:03 AM
At 3/13/2013 4:22:16 PM, charleslb wrote:
Well kind of...

Mm-hmm, if we're going to have anything approaching a good faith discussion of the lazy people sucking the life out of the working poor we have to stop looking down upon the poor and raise our critical gaze up in the direction of the folks at the top of the capitalist food chain!
Charles, you are avoiding the question.

The people at the top of the food chain worked hard so that they can afford to be lazy, much like retirement. The rest need to work hard or innovate because they cannot yet afford to be lazy.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 1:01:08 PM
At 3/17/2013 6:06:03 AM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 3/13/2013 4:22:16 PM, charleslb wrote:
Well kind of...

Charles, you are avoiding the question.

The people at the top of the food chain worked hard so that they can afford to be lazy, much like retirement. The rest need to work hard or innovate because they cannot yet afford to be lazy.

Most of the people at the top of the food chain inherited their wealth. I do not buy your comment.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?