Jump to topic:

Odd Question For Libertarians

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2013 1:52:03 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
A dictator has given you control over a planned economy. You can run it whatever way you want. So long as it remains a planned government-run economy. How do you run things?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2013 2:44:06 AM
At 4/16/2013 1:52:03 AM, FREEDO wrote:
How do you run things?

...As poorly as anyone else, due to an inability to coordinate resources and labor effectively to satisfy people's wants and desires.

If possible, I'd assassinate the dictator and do what Singapore did: free the markets as much as possible.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2013 3:10:44 AM
I guess I'd run things through computer algorithms as much as possible. Whenever there is a shortage or a surplus, people enter that into a computer. When demand rises for a product, people just click that they want that product on the government database. I understand this doesn't allow for much innovation, entrepreneurship, or new products creations, but using computers would greatly improve the efficiency of the centrally planned economy.

3D Printing with regular shipments of powders, metals, and organic molecules should sate most of my slaves' (I mean citizens') desires. They can only select items permitted by the government though.

Once a year I'd throw a big party at the capital with lots of free hallucinogens and stimulants. I'd play funky music, provide condoms and private rooms, and give a speech about how much I love them all and how much they should love each other. People would dance, play sports, grill out, and be happy.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2013 8:15:38 AM
I'd go in planning to make things more liberatory for the people I govern (you know, the whole working from inside the system kind of thing) but would likely become apathetic later on and just use my power to my own advantage. That's not my anarchist beliefs on the nature of power talking (though it does coincide). It's just what I think would come naturally to me if I were in that scenario.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2013 11:07:18 AM
Simple, cut back on regulations, simplify taxes(FairTax), encourage exports and discourage imports. Strive for self dependence.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2013 11:40:21 PM
At 4/16/2013 3:00:06 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
I dunno. Power does peculiar things to people.

Good answer.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2013 11:41:16 PM
At 4/16/2013 3:10:44 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Once a year I'd throw a big party at the capital with lots of free hallucinogens and stimulants. I'd play funky music, provide condoms and private rooms, and give a speech about how much I love them all and how much they should love each other. People would dance, play sports, grill out, and be happy.

Now we're talkin.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2013 11:47:22 PM
At 4/16/2013 11:41:16 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 4/16/2013 3:10:44 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Now we're talkin.

You'd have my vote.
Tsar of DDO
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 9:22:45 AM
I would tell all my citizens to go 30 miles from sea and strand themselves.

That should weed out the stupid ones.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 3:46:11 PM
At 4/17/2013 9:22:45 AM, TheAntidoter wrote:
I would tell all my citizens to go 30 miles from sea and strand themselves.

That should weed out the stupid ones.

Brilliant.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 3:47:05 PM
This is sorta in the econ category though, guys. I wanna see some real theories behind how to best run a planned economy from a Libertarian perspective.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 4:24:16 PM
I'd use the term "planned economy" very liberally.

My plan is that anyone can own a business and get to keep their profits and loss.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 4:13:12 AM
At 4/17/2013 3:47:05 PM, FREEDO wrote:
This is sorta in the econ category though, guys. I wanna see some real theories behind how to best run a planned economy from a Libertarian perspective.

That's the thing... it's kind of oxymoronic. It's like asking how you want your afro styled at a salon when you're bald.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:11:13 PM
At 4/16/2013 1:52:03 AM, FREEDO wrote:
A dictator has given you control over a planned economy. You can run it whatever way you want. So long as it remains a planned government-run economy. How do you run things?

I will treat the treasury as my personal account :-)
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2013 12:17:34 AM
At 4/18/2013 4:13:12 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 4/17/2013 3:47:05 PM, FREEDO wrote:

That's the thing... it's kind of oxymoronic. It's like asking how you want your afro styled at a salon when you're bald.

Hmm. You know, you're probably r...

wrong. Yeah, I see connection.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord