Jump to topic:

How to Get Good at Making Money

Bikas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 3:19:10 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
A few years ago, I decided I wanted to learn to play the drums. I've always loved the drums. Whenever I listen to music, I hear the drums first. I can listen to a great jazz drummer like Art Blakey for hours on end. I'd give up almost anything to be as good as Glenn Kotche of Wilco.

The path to learning the drums is pretty clear. You sign up for some lessons, you get some pads, you get some sticks, you learn some drills, and you practice. And you keep practicing. Every surface"your desk, your leg, your steering wheel"becomes a drum. You get better over time, but you never really stop practicing.
Noctan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 5:01:53 AM
Or you could get a degree, followed by a job.
I can manage my anger if people can manage their stupidity.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 12:05:17 PM
At 7/31/2013 5:01:53 AM, Noctan wrote:

Getting a degree is much easier than finding a job. It has been nearly a year since I got my A.S. in Business, and still no-one will hire. I've applied to every job opening within a 15 mile radius.

It would probably be easier to start your own business, than to get hired in this economy. Of course you would need start up capital to do that.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
Noctan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 12:10:17 PM
At 7/31/2013 12:05:17 PM, DanT wrote:

Getting a degree is much easier than finding a job. It has been nearly a year since I got my A.S. in Business, and still no-one will hire. I've applied to every job opening within a 15 mile radius.

It would probably be easier to start your own business, than to get hired in this economy. Of course you would need start up capital to do that.

Well, depends on the degree you get, really. You could always apply somewhere far out and move, like a big office type corporation possibly.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 12:46:37 PM
At 7/31/2013 12:10:17 PM, Noctan wrote:

Well, depends on the degree you get, really. You could always apply somewhere far out and move, like a big office type corporation possibly.

Not that easy in NH. Bus routes are very limited.
Noctan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 12:50:31 PM
At 7/31/2013 12:46:37 PM, DanT wrote:

Move somewhere else. Look for specific jobs online that are looking for workers .
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 4:24:23 PM
At 7/31/2013 12:50:31 PM, Noctan wrote:

Move somewhere else. Look for specific jobs online that are looking for workers .

I can't move somewhere else without first obtaining a job, otherwise I would not be able to pay rent. And if I obtain a job in another state, I must have enough time to find a landlord before I start work; otherwise it would be impossible to commute. Commuting to another state is even harder than commuting within my own state.

It's a catch 22.

All I can hope for is that someone will eventually hire me within 15 miles. Once they hire me I can than move closer to work in order to reduce transportation costs.
Noctan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 9:37:53 PM
At 7/31/2013 4:24:23 PM, DanT wrote:

I can't move somewhere else without first obtaining a job, otherwise I would not be able to pay rent. And if I obtain a job in another state, I must have enough time to find a landlord before I start work; otherwise it would be impossible to commute. Commuting to another state is even harder than commuting within my own state.

It's a catch 22.

All I can hope for is that someone will eventually hire me within 15 miles. Once they hire me I can than move closer to work in order to reduce transportation costs.

Well, it deoends on the pay with me. I have no plans on leaving my job, but if you find a decent paying job that you'd like to do search for a house or apartment already in your budget. Eventually move, but apply for the job before you move and purchase the area. This way if they don't accept you you just drive home. If there's no jobs near you, it's probably best moving anyway.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 9:45:04 PM
At 7/31/2013 9:37:53 PM, Noctan wrote:

It's a catch 22.

Well, it deoends on the pay with me. I have no plans on leaving my job, but if you find a decent paying job that you'd like to do search for a house or apartment already in your budget. Eventually move, but apply for the job before you move and purchase the area. This way if they don't accept you you just drive home. If there's no jobs near you, it's probably best moving anyway.

There is a huge difference between changing jobs, and trying to enter the workforce.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 9:47:19 PM
At 7/31/2013 9:45:04 PM, DanT wrote:

It's a catch 22.

There is a huge difference between changing jobs, and trying to enter the workforce.

To clarify my budget is $0, because I am still trying to enter the workforce. I currently make ~$1,000 a year as an independent contractor, which is not enough to do what you are suggesting.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 9:48:47 PM
At 7/31/2013 9:47:19 PM, DanT wrote:

It's a catch 22.

To clarify my budget is $0, because I am still trying to enter the workforce. I currently make ~$1,000 a year as an independent contractor, which is not enough to do what you are suggesting.

IDK what is up with DDO's font, but that is not a negative sign, that is a tilde.
Noctan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 9:50:16 PM

It's a catch 22.

Well, if you're making such littke money, get a job somewhere where a degree isn't required. If you can't find any jobs that fit your degree, get a completely different job. Save up money you earn there, theb buy a house or apartment and move. An apartment would most likely be easier starting off.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 10:18:01 PM
At 7/31/2013 9:50:16 PM, Noctan wrote:

It's a catch 22.

Well, if you're making such littke money, get a job somewhere where a degree isn't required. If you can't find any jobs that fit your degree, get a completely different job. Save up money you earn there, theb buy a house or apartment and move. An apartment would most likely be easier starting off.

I've been applying to places where a degree is not required. They either won't hire me, or they don't pay enough to cover the initial commute or rent for that area.
Noctan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 10:20:03 PM
At 7/31/2013 10:18:01 PM, DanT wrote:

It's a catch 22.

I've been applying to places where a degree is not required. They either won't hire me, or they don't pay enough to cover the initial commute or rent for that area.

You should search for a job in other areas, get a crappy apartment to start with so you can afford it, then go from there.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 10:20:48 PM

It's a catch 22.

Because of the current job market, employers in my area won't hire you unless you have a bachelor's degree, or the equivalent in job experience. Unless they can get tax credits to cover the difference (like if you are on SSI or you are a HS student).
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 10:26:36 PM
At 7/31/2013 10:20:03 PM, Noctan wrote:

It's a catch 22.

You should search for a job in other areas, get a crappy apartment to start with so you can afford it, then go from there.

Living expenses for my area (including rent, food, transportation costs, ect.) is around $20,000. That is $9.62 per hour just to cover living expenses. The wage would have to be even higher if I want to save money.

Wages of $9.62 per hour. Because there are so many people competing for work, jobs paying a living wage require either a Bachelor's degree, 4 years of previous work experience, or an AS degree and 2 years of previous work experience.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 10:35:01 PM
For the past year I have been working with 2 different employment agencies, and 1 job coach, and I still can't get hired. The job coach was through the NH Vocational Rehab program.
Noctan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 11:36:55 PM
At 7/31/2013 10:35:01 PM, DanT wrote:
For the past year I have been working with 2 different employment agencies, and 1 job coach, and I still can't get hired. The job coach was through the NH Vocational Rehab program.

Well, your best bet is to just attempt to get out of the area. Maybe get a Bachelor's degree by going to school again if you can. That is a very tough situation though. It's usually good to research what jobs you can get with a certain degree and attempt to find them. But one thing for sure is you need to get out of that area somehow. You could always (bear with me) get a loan of some sort.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 11:52:09 PM
At 7/31/2013 11:36:55 PM, Noctan wrote:

Well, your best bet is to just attempt to get out of the area. Maybe get a Bachelor's degree by going to school again if you can. That is a very tough situation though. It's usually good to research what jobs you can get with a certain degree and attempt to find them. But one thing for sure is you need to get out of that area somehow. You could always (bear with me) get a loan of some sort.

I don't want to take out a loan before I get a job. A loan is just one more expense that I have to consider, which would limit my job search even more.

I would be more inclined to take out a business loan and start my own company.
Noctan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 12:34:14 AM
At 7/31/2013 11:52:09 PM, DanT wrote:

I don't want to take out a loan before I get a job. A loan is just one more expense that I have to consider, which would limit my job search even more.

What kind of company do you have in mind?
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 1:34:38 AM
At 8/1/2013 12:34:14 AM, Noctan wrote:
At 7/31/2013 11:52:09 PM, DanT wrote:

What kind of company do you have in mind?

I actually have several in mind. A night club would give me a geographical monopoly for at least half of the county. I also had a unique cafe idea.