Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

Africa

Elaynebq
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2013 1:27:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Will african countries ever match up to the standards of their 'western counterparts'?

By standards I am talking about their quality of life,the wealth of these western countries and their approach to issues such as homosexuality etc.

My opinion : I think once African leaders are less involved in practices such as corruption which is done on a larger scale , African countries are able to eliminate one of the core problems in order to help solve the bigger issues however,most countries in Africa have set themselves traps that they are stuck in. This then means they are unable to move forward without a huge change in their everyday living.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 2:21:54 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
What's this doing in an "economics" section? Africa has no economy. This must belong somewhere else.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 5:37:28 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
African nations have actually had very high GDP growth over the past few years, obtaining growth rates much higher than in Europe, or North America.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
yay842
Posts: 5,680
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 3:08:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/1/2013 2:21:54 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
What's this doing in an "economics" section? Africa has no economy. This must belong somewhere else.

at least 69% of topics on any forums dont belong
30 Important Life Lessons
http://www.debate.org...
20 Terrifying Two-Sentence Horrors
http://www.debate.org...
20 Jokes That Only Geniuses Will Understand
http://www.debate.org...
Name One Song That Can't Match This GIF
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net...
Elaynebq
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 5:08:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/1/2013 2:21:54 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
What's this doing in an "economics" section? Africa has no economy. This must belong somewhere else.

That is a very ignorant thing to say.Maybe if you were up to date with current affairs, you will realise that Africa is not what it used to be. It's economies are booming and attracting large amounts of investment so before you put your opinion on here I suggest you do some reading first.
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 7:18:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/29/2013 1:27:15 PM, Elaynebq wrote:
Will african countries ever match up to the standards of their 'western counterparts'?

By standards I am talking about their quality of life,the wealth of these western countries and their approach to issues such as homosexuality etc.

My opinion : I think once African leaders are less involved in practices such as corruption which is done on a larger scale , African countries are able to eliminate one of the core problems in order to help solve the bigger issues however,most countries in Africa have set themselves traps that they are stuck in. This then means they are unable to move forward without a huge change in their everyday living.

Output is a function of capital and labor. When there is a lack of capital the labor force cannot operate to their potential, and when there is a lack of labor capital cannot be utilized to its potential.

Capital includes everything from land, facilities, tools, equipment, technology, raw materials, money, and so on.

Some places have a natural advantage due to an abundance of raw materials, like gold, salt, diamonds, etc. Also places like Florida, and Hawaii have natural benefits in regards to tourism. Most of Florida's economy is actually based on tourism. Than you have to take into consideration the technology level available, and the health of the workers.

Another key element is the government policies, and whether or not they facilitate economic growth. Government policies cannot generate economic growth, but they can facilitate growth. Building infrastructure to facilitate trade and increase shipping time, loose restrictions on manufacturing , low taxation, ect. can all help facilitate economic growth.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 7:19:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/1/2013 7:18:33 PM, DanT wrote:
At 11/29/2013 1:27:15 PM, Elaynebq wrote:
Will african countries ever match up to the standards of their 'western counterparts'?

By standards I am talking about their quality of life,the wealth of these western countries and their approach to issues such as homosexuality etc.

My opinion : I think once African leaders are less involved in practices such as corruption which is done on a larger scale , African countries are able to eliminate one of the core problems in order to help solve the bigger issues however,most countries in Africa have set themselves traps that they are stuck in. This then means they are unable to move forward without a huge change in their everyday living.

Output is a function of capital and labor. When there is a lack of capital the labor force cannot operate to their potential, and when there is a lack of labor capital cannot be utilized to its potential.

Capital includes everything from land, facilities, tools, equipment, technology, raw materials, money, and so on.

Some places have a natural advantage due to an abundance of raw materials, like gold, salt, diamonds, etc. Also places like Florida, and Hawaii have natural benefits in regards to tourism. Most of Florida's economy is actually based on tourism. Than you have to take into consideration the technology level available, and the health of the workers.

Another key element is the government policies, and whether or not they facilitate economic growth. Government policies cannot generate economic growth, but they can facilitate growth. Building infrastructure to facilitate trade and increase shipping time, loose restrictions on manufacturing , low taxation, ect. can all help facilitate economic growth.

Also the level of education available, and the relevant knowledge skills and abilities of the workforce is a key element to economic growth.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
alvisd
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 11:19:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
It will take time for Africa to be able to be established as a continent able to have economic stability because of the fact that they need a strong central government in their nations. Most of Africa's nations are just broken up into tribes and even though they are from the same country they declare allegiance to an ethnic tribe. This is since when Europe conquered Africa, it broke Africa up into whatever shape it felt like and so now even if this tribe and the next were not even remotely connected, they were both part of Uganda and will be called Ugandans( this is an example). This allows for great battles and fights to break up across Africa where the tribes fight for resources and other issues since their central government is so weak, an example of this is Sudan and now South Sudan. This prompts for the following: Africa, will only get a great economy when the continent's various countries get strong central governments and they are able to allocate the resources of Africa to the whole population and show force to various tribes that do not agree with their agenda's for the economy. This will allow for Africa to get a strong economy since now those resources such as diamonds aren't being mined by cartels and warlords and instead by private companies in order to ensure everyone has jobs, taxes are being paid infrastructure being built, and the economy's growth now ensured. Though first remember that Africa's various nations must first unite.
donald.keller
Posts: 3,709
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2013 4:53:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/1/2013 5:37:28 AM, darkkermit wrote:
African nations have actually had very high GDP growth over the past few years, obtaining growth rates much higher than in Europe, or North America.

A great deal of that growth comes from aid and charity from Europe and North America.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
pkyanda
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2013 11:25:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
It is going to be to be impossible as all international structures work in cohort , IMP, W.T.O even the UN
Greematthew
Posts: 30
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 8:38:18 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/29/2013 1:27:15 PM, Elaynebq wrote:
Will african countries ever match up to the standards of their 'western counterparts'?

By standards I am talking about their quality of life,the wealth of these western countries and their approach to issues such as homosexuality etc.

My opinion : I think once African leaders are less involved in practices such as corruption which is done on a larger scale , African countries are able to eliminate one of the core problems in order to help solve the bigger issues however,most countries in Africa have set themselves traps that they are stuck in. This then means they are unable to move forward without a huge change in their everyday living.

They're pretty much stuck for a while until they start to develop more. Of course they are indeed developing, but it's very slow. I wouldn't expect a catch-up to Europe for the next century.
JessieWolters
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 7:45:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/29/2013 1:27:15 PM, Elaynebq wrote:
Will african countries ever match up to the standards of their 'western counterparts'?

By standards I am talking about their quality of life,the wealth of these western countries and their approach to issues such as homosexuality etc.

My opinion : I think once African leaders are less involved in practices such as corruption which is done on a larger scale , African countries are able to eliminate one of the core problems in order to help solve the bigger issues however,most countries in Africa have set themselves traps that they are stuck in. This then means they are unable to move forward without a huge change in their everyday living.

Yup! I agree with you. As long as the leaders are still on trap their subordinate will still like their leaders. There are saying that "Follow the leaders" and if the leadership is not good what you expect?
"To change your phrase somewhat, I know that I like an art where disparate elements form an entity."
~ James Schuyler