Help Me Find My Paper!

GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 9:50:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I read an economics study which argued something like this:

Raising the minimum wage makes people less satisfied with their current wages, so the price of labor is driven up. This effect is permanent.

PLEASE help me find it! I need it for my debate :)
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 10:51:23 PM
If giving somebody a raise causes dissatisfaction, then that logically means that lowering their wage causes more satisfaction, which is entirely nonsensical. Sounds like a load of crap to me!
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2014 8:13:13 AM
At 1/7/2014 10:51:23 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
If giving somebody a raise causes dissatisfaction, then that logically means that lowering their wage causes more satisfaction, which is entirely nonsensical. Sounds like a load of crap to me!

I don't think he's referring to the minimum wage workers themselves, but the people who earn above minimum wage and aren't directly changed by the legislation.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2014 9:58:07 AM

Not true. Humans, like all primates, measure their success relatively. If you give you monkey a banana, and another monkey a grape, the monkey with the banana would toss the banana away; if you give both monkeys a banana, they will both be happy with the gift. This is an evolutionary trait, designed to promote survival; it is an instinct that prevents us from becoming complacent with what we have already foraged/accomplished.

If you were making $10 per hour and your boss slashed your pay to $7 per hour, you would be pissed. If your boss gave you a raise from $10 per hour to $13 per hour, you would be happy, but your supervisor who also makes $13 per hour will be unhappy that their subordinate is now making the same wage they are making, and therefore would demand a higher wage. If your boss tried to correct the problem by lowering your wage back down to $10 per hour, you would be unhappy, and refuse to accept the pay cut.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2014 10:00:00 AM
At 1/8/2014 8:13:13 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:

I don't think he's referring to the minimum wage workers themselves, but the people who earn above minimum wage and aren't directly changed by the legislation.

It sounds like a paper I wrote in college.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2014 10:03:31 PM
At 1/8/2014 9:58:07 AM, DanT wrote:

Not true. Humans, like all primates, measure their success relatively. If you give you monkey a banana, and another monkey a grape, the monkey with the banana would toss the banana away; if you give both monkeys a banana, they will both be happy with the gift. This is an evolutionary trait, designed to promote survival; it is an instinct that prevents us from becoming complacent with what we have already foraged/accomplished.

If you were making $10 per hour and your boss slashed your pay to $7 per hour, you would be pissed. If your boss gave you a raise from $10 per hour to $13 per hour, you would be happy, but your supervisor who also makes $13 per hour will be unhappy that their subordinate is now making the same wage they are making, and therefore would demand a higher wage. If your boss tried to correct the problem by lowering your wage back down to $10 per hour, you would be unhappy, and refuse to accept the pay cut.

That's exactly the point the paper was trying to make. Oh well, I conceded my debate lol. Nevermind.
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2014 1:12:17 PM
At 1/7/2014 9:50:58 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
I read an economics study which argued something like this:

Raising the minimum wage makes people less satisfied with their current wages, so the price of labor is driven up. This effect is permanent.

PLEASE help me find it! I need it for my debate :)

Maybe try googling the argument... Sometimes that helps me find out if someone is plagiarizing or not, because it recognizes the text.