Jump to topic:

Metaphysics

donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 7:56:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Economics can be almost impossible to observe because no matter how many economic variables you understand, you never truly understand the human variable that effects the economic outcome more than any other part of the equation. To truly understand economics, you need basic knowledge of metaphysics. Understanding the human variable is vital to understanding any real economics.

Anyone's opinion? I understand Metaphysics is very unpopular on DDO.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 8:33:03 PM
At 1/23/2014 7:56:18 PM, donald.keller wrote:
Economics can be almost impossible to observe because no matter how many economic variables you understand, you never truly understand the human variable that effects the economic outcome more than any other part of the equation. To truly understand economics, you need basic knowledge of metaphysics. Understanding the human variable is vital to understanding any real economics.

No, I think to truly understand economics one needs to understand psychology and sociology. Economics can be split into two categories; macro and micro. Macroeconomics deals more with the collective, so macro-economists must have a deep understand sociology and human nature. Micro-economics deals with individuals, so Micro-economists must have a deep understanding of psychology and sociology. Because the collective is simply an aggregate of individuals, macro-economists must 1st understand micro-economics. The individual's personality, and therefore their behavior, is ~30-60% hereditary and 40-70% environmental. The hereditary personality may include traits inherent within humans as a whole or traits isolated specifically to their their gene pool. The environmental personality may include traits picked up from social interactions, or traits picked up from experiences unique to that individual. Identical twins can grow up in the same home, attend all the same schools, and still end up with wildly different personalities; this is because subtle differences in their environments can wildly change their personality traits. No two experiences are the same, and no matter how hard you try, you cannot recreate an experience.
We can make very accurate assumptions, like the fact that the demand for a good or service is negatively related to the price, because it is human nature. This is an example of macro-economics. We can also use statistical data to determine the elasticity of that relationship on a macro-level. On a micro-level we need to better understand the individual agents involved, and what motivates them.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 8:47:34 PM
At 1/23/2014 8:33:03 PM, DanT wrote:

No, I think to truly understand economics one needs to understand psychology and sociology.

I always considered those categories in Metaphysics.

Economics can be split into two categories; macro and micro. Macroeconomics deals more with the collective, so macro-economists must have a deep understand sociology and human nature. Micro-economics deals with individuals, so Micro-economists must have a deep understanding of psychology and sociology. Because the collective is simply an aggregate of individuals, macro-economists must 1st understand micro-economics. The individual's personality, and therefore their behavior, is ~30-60% hereditary and 40-70% environmental. The hereditary personality may include traits inherent within humans as a whole or traits isolated specifically to their their gene pool. The environmental personality may include traits picked up from social interactions, or traits picked up from experiences unique to that individual. Identical twins can grow up in the same home, attend all the same schools, and still end up with wildly different personalities; this is because subtle differences in their environments can wildly change their personality traits. No two experiences are the same, and no matter how hard you try, you cannot recreate an experience.
We can make very accurate assumptions, like the fact that the demand for a good or service is negatively related to the price, because it is human nature. This is an example of macro-economics. We can also use statistical data to determine the elasticity of that relationship on a macro-level. On a micro-level we need to better understand the individual agents involved, and what motivates them.

That's Metaphysics... The study of the nature of things (like human nature and why people do what.) It's possible I have the definition wrong, most groups says it's hard to determine what exactly metaphysics is.

If I have the definition of Metaphysics right, then we would be on the same page.

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 9:21:13 PM
At 1/23/2014 8:47:34 PM, donald.keller wrote:

No, I think to truly understand economics one needs to understand psychology and sociology.

Economics can be split into two categories; macro and micro. Macroeconomics deals more with the collective, so macro-economists must have a deep understand sociology and human nature. Micro-economics deals with individuals, so Micro-economists must have a deep understanding of psychology and sociology. Because the collective is simply an aggregate of individuals, macro-economists must 1st understand micro-economics. The individual's personality, and therefore their behavior, is ~30-60% hereditary and 40-70% environmental. The hereditary personality may include traits inherent within humans as a whole or traits isolated specifically to their their gene pool. The environmental personality may include traits picked up from social interactions, or traits picked up from experiences unique to that individual. Identical twins can grow up in the same home, attend all the same schools, and still end up with wildly different personalities; this is because subtle differences in their environments can wildly change their personality traits. No two experiences are the same, and no matter how hard you try, you cannot recreate an experience.

That's Metaphysics... The study of the nature of things (like human nature and why people do what.) It's possible I have the definition wrong, most groups says it's hard to determine what exactly metaphysics is.

If I have the definition of Metaphysics right, then we would be on the same page.

Metaphysics is more like philosophy. Epistemology is a branch of metaphysics. Physics deals with objective observations and studies of how the world works and what makes it tick. Metaphysics goes beyond that, and is responsible for the area of study which cannot be done with objective observations and research.
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 9:39:31 PM
At 1/23/2014 9:21:13 PM, DanT wrote:

Metaphysics is more like philosophy. Epistemology is a branch of metaphysics. Physics deals with objective observations and studies of how the world works and what makes it tick. Metaphysics goes beyond that, and is responsible for the area of study which cannot be done with objective observations and research.

Hmm. Then what would you call the general study of things like sociology and physiology?

Either way, we both agree on the topic, I just used the wrong word.

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 3:55:48 AM
At 1/23/2014 9:39:31 PM, donald.keller wrote:
At 1/23/2014 9:21:13 PM, DanT wrote:

Hmm. Then what would you call the general study of things like sociology and physiology?

Either way, we both agree on the topic, I just used the wrong word.

Economics, Psychology, and Sociology are Social sciences. Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry, the Earth sciences and Physics are Natural sciences. Mathematics, Statistics, Theoretical Computer science, Information theory, Game theory, Systems theory, and Decision theory are Formal sciences.
Social science uses the scientific method to study human behavior and to discover patterns within society. Natural science uses the scientific method to study and better understand the natural world. Formal science uses an a priori method, as opposed to the a posteriori method of the social and natural sciences, in order to achieve a greater understanding of the human condition.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2014 3:47:19 PM
That is good you both agree on that. In short it means as human behavior changes collectively then the best economic model to serve humanity as a whole changes.

If we all just got more satisfaction working for the collective than ourselves then communism has an honest shot.

Eat that Ann Rand
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 1:01:56 PM
At 1/27/2014 3:47:19 PM, slo1 wrote:
That is good you both agree on that. In short it means as human behavior changes collectively then the best economic model to serve humanity as a whole changes.

If we all just got more satisfaction working for the collective than ourselves then communism has an honest shot.

Eat that Ann Rand

No, communism does not have an honest shot because it is very rare for communities, even ones as small as a rural town, to be homogenous enough to work efficiently. Collectivism is preferable when a population is homogenous, while Individualism is preferable when a population is heterogeneous. The more homogenous a population the more collectivized it should be, and the more heterogeneous a population the more individualist. Communism is an extreme state of collectivism, which means it requires an extreme level of homogeneity. The more homogenous a population the more likely the aggregate population reflects the individual, because the more similar each individual is to one another; this is why collectivism requires a homogenous population.