Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 1:49:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
apartments.

Not sure where this thread really goes.... (Econ + Personal) lol
Anyway.

I live with four other guys in an apartment off campus and we all go to the same college. How should we expect to share expenses in an apartment? In particular, is it fair to have to share the expenses on products that you will not be using? If I have to pay $5 (5 dollars per person meaning $25 worth of products) on a share of 5 different items, let's say 1 of which I will actually use, is it fair for me to have to pay the $5 just so I use one product (when $5 meant consuming 5 different products)? This implies that i'll be consuming products at a higher price... After all, the benefit of sharing expenses on items is so that each person can benefit from a lowered price on a bundle of goods.

Also, if some roommates come home with a $50 public utility product (like a rug to keep shoes on at the entrance) without other members' consent, is it normal for those members to have to pay for the item when they didn't ask for it or were told about it?
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 7:50:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/4/2014 1:49:51 PM, ben2974 wrote:
apartments.

Not sure where this thread really goes.... (Econ + Personal) lol
Anyway.

I live with four other guys in an apartment off campus and we all go to the same college. How should we expect to share expenses in an apartment? In particular, is it fair to have to share the expenses on products that you will not be using? If I have to pay $5 (5 dollars per person meaning $25 worth of products) on a share of 5 different items, let's say 1 of which I will actually use, is it fair for me to have to pay the $5 just so I use one product (when $5 meant consuming 5 different products)? This implies that i'll be consuming products at a higher price... After all, the benefit of sharing expenses on items is so that each person can benefit from a lowered price on a bundle of goods.

Also, if some roommates come home with a $50 public utility product (like a rug to keep shoes on at the entrance) without other members' consent, is it normal for those members to have to pay for the item when they didn't ask for it or were told about it?

Get a mini fridge and put it in your room. Don't buy anything for community use and expect another to chip in. If you can, get the lease in only one name "Yours" It gives you total control over the apartment. Let everyone else have the utility bills in their name, not yours, that way if there is a falling out amongst one of you, you are not liable for the bill, only they are. And with that said, you can get said utility turned back on right away by saying you are a new tenant. Always expect the worst and plan for the worst case scenario with that many roommates. Oh ya, get a keyed lock on your bedroom door.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%