Jump to topic:

Business should provide welfare not gov't

wanderingbear
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 4:05:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
In a world where governments are spending more than they are taking, and some corporations making more in profits than some small countries make in GDP, should we expect more from businesses than just goods and services?

Personally, I would argue across the board we should and I think it could provide a model to help businesses as much as society.

Many businesses support overseas issues (which is great) but could they voluntarily contribute to health care, education for the unemployed, and all-round housing/welfare.

I think there is a growing emergence to this already, but I'm interested in how far it can go
themightyindividual
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2014 2:46:20 PM
What's wrong with leaving people alone? How about, no welfare? How about NOT encouraging people to be poor and miserable? Neither corporations, nor humans should pay for those who do not produce. If you want welfare, contribute to our economy and you shall reap the benefits of hard work and intelligence in the form of a paycheck, dividend, interest, profit, whatever form of revenue you receive from the form of work you put into our society.
blaze8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2014 6:26:43 PM
At 2/26/2014 4:05:21 PM, wanderingbear wrote:
In a world where governments are spending more than they are taking, and some corporations making more in profits than some small countries make in GDP, should we expect more from businesses than just goods and services?

Personally, I would argue across the board we should and I think it could provide a model to help businesses as much as society.

Many businesses support overseas issues (which is great) but could they voluntarily contribute to health care, education for the unemployed, and all-round housing/welfare.

I think there is a growing emergence to this already, but I'm interested in how far it can go

You're several decades too late. This idea of Capitalism was forsaken in the 1980s for shareholder capitalism. If we want to go back to Corporate Citizenship, we have to confront the problems shareholder capitalism was devised to address, specifically, how to ensure that business managers are operating their companies in the most efficient manner. As shareholder capitalism's first and most important goal is to provide the greatest profit to shareholders, and according to economic theory, this can be done only if excess costs are cut and the firm is operating efficiently, greater profit is thus associated with higher efficiency, specifically x-efficiency. Also, shareholder capitalism and mergers can function as competitive forces. For example, if the firm's manager is not operating at x-efficiency or productive efficiency, the threat of a merger and the loss of his job and reputation in the field theoretically can motivate him to improve productive efficiency and allocative efficiency, thus bringing the firm back in line, and giving consumers a better product.

To shareholder capitalism, spending money and profits on society at large rather than maintaining their productive and allocative efficiency would be the very definition of wasteful spending on their part, and would be considered x-inefficiency. If you wish for us to go back to Corporate Citizenship, we must find new ways to combat the efficiency problems.
"For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen."-Sterling Archer
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 1:57:15 PM
i agree, the only time you are morally required to provide welfare is if you start a business. it's not enough to work long hours and risk everything to only take on the possibility of a profit. Its not enough that your actions, through your own interests, provide better quality or cheaper goods, and employment for others. No you have to provide more and be a public servant.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...