Jump to topic:

Lets talk taxation

Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2014 3:28:51 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'll repost my poll, along with descriptions....

http://www.debate.org...

Super Tax (Surtax): A levy upon a tax levy. For example, your base income could earn you a rate of 15%, but the extra levy would add a flat 3% to your rate.

Negative Taxation: Instead of taxing the lower class, we give them money in the form of liabilities, in order to stimulate them. Don't personally agree, but whatever.

Windfall Taxation: This is an interesting form of taxation. One that has a bit of potential. The idea, behind WFT's, is to tax profits instead of income. So if a companies gets a 5% increase in net profit, then 1% of that will be levied. The problem would obviously be how it aims directly at growth

Progressive Tax: Rate set by a persons ability to pay, base income, or social class.

Flat Tax: A set rate that applies to everyone

Regressive Tax: A system that lowers rates as the base amount of taxes increases. Regressive taxes are applied to make the poor pay more then the rich, believing that the rich contribute more to the overall economy, so the poor should pay the burden.

Consumption Tax: Worst tax ever. It applies a flat rate based on the overall consumption a person partakes in. The perk is it provides unlimited revenue potential. The con is its shaky and unreliable for stable taxation.

Stealth Taxation: When the government deducts money through loopholes. Mostly directed towards corporations, but I can see it being used against persons of interest. If it were ideal, a agency directed towards exploiting loopholes would be created, but I can see the headlines already
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2014 5:12:51 AM
At 5/2/2014 3:53:28 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
Progressive tax rate.

I agree. I think Super taxes though are a good way to actually raise the current set progressive rates. Actually, Super Taxation is a sect of progressive taxes
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2014 10:24:44 AM
At 5/2/2014 3:28:51 AM, Jifpop09 wrote:

Consumption Tax: Worst tax ever. It applies a flat rate based on the overall consumption a person partakes in. The perk is it provides unlimited revenue potential. The con is its shaky and unreliable for stable taxation.

From an OECD study entitled "Tax and Economic Growth" http://www.oecd.org...
"W22; The reviewed evidence and the empirical work suggests a "tax and growth ranking" with recurrent taxes on immovable property being the least distortive tax instrument in terms of reducing long-run GDP per capita, followed by consumption taxes (and other property taxes), personal income taxes and corporate income taxes."

Essentially, ranking from most harm towards economic growth to least harm: corporate income taxes, personal income taxes, consumption taxes, and then property taxes.

Consumption taxes don't exactly seem like the "worst tax ever"
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2014 3:50:50 PM
At 5/2/2014 10:24:44 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 5/2/2014 3:28:51 AM, Jifpop09 wrote:

From an OECD study entitled "Tax and Economic Growth" http://www.oecd.org...
"W22; The reviewed evidence and the empirical work suggests a "tax and growth ranking" with recurrent taxes on immovable property being the least distortive tax instrument in terms of reducing long-run GDP per capita, followed by consumption taxes (and other property taxes), personal income taxes and corporate income taxes."

Essentially, ranking from most harm towards economic growth to least harm: corporate income taxes, personal income taxes, consumption taxes, and then property taxes.

Consumption taxes don't exactly seem like the "worst tax ever"

It depends what you apply them on. For example, I think they work as far as sales and food taxes, because those apply solely to the 70%, but it is nothing but laughable when people propose them for the corporate and income taxes.
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2014 3:54:19 PM
At 5/2/2014 10:41:42 AM, BasicLogic wrote:
Tax idiots, spammer, and racists on the internet. Will bring trillions into the economy

A idiot tax? Isn't that against freedom of speech? Its attractive though. Tax people by their level of idiocy. We would control Trump's whole bank account in a year.
BasicLogic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2014 5:14:18 PM
At 5/2/2014 3:54:19 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
Tax idiots, spammer, and racists on the internet. Will bring trillions into the economy

A idiot tax? Isn't that against freedom of speech? Its attractive though. Tax people by their level of idiocy. We would control Trump's whole bank account in a year.

YES YES YES!
jimtimmy3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 8:32:52 PM

Jif, you wouldn't even be able to afford a computer.
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 8:33:31 PM
At 5/4/2014 8:32:52 PM, jimtimmy3 wrote:

Ironic -_-
jimtimmy3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 8:36:49 PM
At 5/4/2014 8:33:31 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:

Ironic -_-

Brilliant comeback.
JohnMaynardKeynes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2014 11:57:09 AM
At 5/4/2014 8:36:49 PM, jimtimmy3 wrote:

Ironic -_-

Brilliant comeback.

And your ridiculous ad hominem was any better?
~JohnMaynardKeynes

"The sight of my succulent backside acts as a sedative for the beholder. It soothes the pain of life and makes all which hurts seem like bliss. I urge all those stressed by ridiculous drama on DDO which will never affect your real life to gaze upon my cheeks for they will make you have an excitement and joy you've never felt before." -- Dr. Dennybug

Founder of the BSH-YYW Fan Club
Founder of the Barkalotti
Stand with Dogs and Economics
jimtimmy3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2014 2:20:57 PM
At 5/5/2014 11:57:09 AM, JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
At 5/4/2014 8:36:49 PM, jimtimmy3 wrote:

Ironic -_-

Brilliant comeback.

And your ridiculous ad hominem was any better?

Yes. My ad hominem was a work of genius.
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2014 3:21:06 PM
At 5/5/2014 3:07:57 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
Totally down for progressive tax.

What about a 10% surtax on the already existing rates?