Jump to topic:

List of Possible Economics Debate Topics

progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2014 11:49:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I was saving these for my video tournament, but as it seems that it won't be happening, at least not anytime soon, I thought I'd share them with my fellow econ buffs in the hope that someone would be interested in debating one of these.

The list is extensive, obviously. The ones I think are really cool are bolded.

1.Resolved: The Federal Government Should Equalize Tax Rates on Income and Wealth
2.Resolved: The Federal Minimum Wage Should be Increased
3.Resolved: The Federal Reserve Should Taper its QE3 Asset Purchases
4.Resolved: Income Inequality is a Byproduct of Government Policy
5.Resolved: (X) School of Economics vs. (Y) School of Economics
6.Resolved: Reducing the Unemployment Rate is Currently More Important Than Reducing the Federal Deficit
7.Resolved: The Federal Government Should Fully Fund Universal Higher Education
8.Resolved: The Federal Reserve is Primarily Responsible for the Financial Calamity of 2007-2009
9.Resolved: The Federal Government Should Invest in Green Technology
10.Resolved: The Federal Reserve Should Target Nominal G.D.P. Growth Over or In Tandem With Inflation
11.Resolved: The Federal Government Should Raise Taxes on the Top 2 Percent of Americans
12.Resolved: On Balance, Unions are Beneficial to the U.S. Economy
13.Resolved: Frederick Hayek vs. John Maynard Keynes
14.Resolved: Modern Monetary Theory is a Valid School of Economic Thought
15.Resolved: The Federal Government Should Adopt a Flat Tax
16.Resolved: Economically Speaking, Which is a Preferable Philosophy: Rawlsian Ethics or Utilitarianism?
17.Resolved: Economic Growth Should be Prioritized Over Reducing Income Inequality
18.Resolved: Copyright Laws Should be Abolished
19.Resolved: Unemployment is Primarily Structural As Opposed to Cyclical
20.Resolved: Long-Term Unemployment has a Less Significant Impact on the Inflation Rate Relative to the Impact of Short-Term Unemployment
21.Resolved: The Federal Government Should Allow Corporations to Repatriate Foreign Profits at a 0 Percent Tax Rate
22.Resolved: Thomas Pikkety"s Analysis in Capital in the Twenty First Century is, On Balance, Valid
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 12:11:51 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/24/2014 11:49:10 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
I was saving these for my video tournament, but as it seems that it won't be happening, at least not anytime soon, I thought I'd share them with my fellow econ buffs in the hope that someone would be interested in debating one of these.

The list is extensive, obviously. The ones I think are really cool are bolded.

1.Resolved: The Federal Government Should Equalize Tax Rates on Income and Wealth

No
2.Resolved: The Federal Minimum Wage Should be Increased

Yes
3.Resolved: The Federal Reserve Should Taper its QE3 Asset Purchases

I don't think so. There is definitely a risk of implosion, but it has been proven effective in the past.
4.Resolved: Income Inequality is a Byproduct of Government Policy

No
5.Resolved: (X) School of Economics vs. (Y) School of Economics

I don't belong to a specific school of economics, although I would argue Clintonomics over Reaganomics
6.Resolved: Reducing the Unemployment Rate is Currently More Important Than Reducing the Federal Deficit

Yes
7.Resolved: The Federal Government Should Fully Fund Universal Higher Education

No. We couldn't afford it without going completely bankrupt. We need to lift people to associate status and let them carry the weight from there.
8.Resolved: The Federal Reserve is Primarily Responsible for the Financial Calamity of 2007-2009

No
9.Resolved: The Federal Government Should Invest in Green Technology

To narrow. Of course it should, but this topic needs to go into more specification.
10.Resolved: The Federal Reserve Should Target Nominal G.D.P. Growth Over or In Tandem With Inflation

The Federal Reserves role is much less important than the mint. It is good at raising inflation, but the mint is way more effective at lowering it. Honestly, we need to focus more on the national banking commission than the federal reserve. Force the stronger banks to control monetary economics at the hands of the government.
11.Resolved: The Federal Government Should Raise Taxes on the Top 2 Percent of Americans

Correct
12.Resolved: On Balance, Unions are Beneficial to the U.S. Economy

Yes and No. Sometimes unions sap people of their money instead of fighting to make workers more, or they end up hurting the corporations end game.
13.Resolved: Frederick Hayek vs. John Maynard Keynes

JMK
14.Resolved: Modern Monetary Theory is a Valid School of Economic Thought

Correct
15.Resolved: The Federal Government Should Adopt a Flat Tax

Flat tax on what?
16.Resolved: Economically Speaking, Which is a Preferable Philosophy: Rawlsian Ethics or Utilitarianism?

Rawlisan isn't the same archtype of philosophy, although utilitarianism is the best. I think people who feel otherwise are fools without common sense.
17.Resolved: Economic Growth Should be Prioritized Over Reducing Income Inequality

Correct
18.Resolved: Copyright Laws Should be Abolished

False
19.Resolved: Unemployment is Primarily Structural As Opposed to Cyclical

Define primarily structural. Are you arguing that unemployment is a set factor and not a circular event?
20.Resolved: Long-Term Unemployment has a Less Significant Impact on the Inflation Rate Relative to the Impact of Short-Term Unemployment

Duh
21.Resolved: The Federal Government Should Allow Corporations to Repatriate Foreign Profits at a 0 Percent Tax Rate

False
22.Resolved: Thomas Pikkety"s Analysis in Capital in the Twenty First Century is, On Balance, Valid

Haven't heard the theory
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8