Jump to topic:

A simple idea about the piracy issues

Speakerfrthedead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2014 6:49:49 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
(copied from MY facebook so it's not a coincidence if you find this on the net)

The economy would be better off if movies and other media were made cheaper. Right now it's so easy to copy and torrent movies that it would be stupid to go and buy the original dvds when you can just get them for free at even higher qualities.

What is the point of the copyright law when it is basically useless? I know a friend who knows a friend who writes books and she says that her publisher keeps extra copies of her books than necessary and keeps the profits made from those books completely to themselves. This is illegal in Thailand and yet they do it anyway cause who has the proof? How is the government going to arrest them when there is no evidence?

I'm not saying that media products should be free cause then the people who make them get no money. I'm just saying why make it illegal when you pretty much have no way of stopping people from copying? That's why movies should be made cheaper, more affordable instead of expensive prices.

A piece of movie for 300 baht? No way. But 100 baht or so and then I will be willing enough to buy it and support the makers. So if these products were cheaper, people would stop copying and start paying for movies again. Then we wouldn't have to waste jail space for the people distributing pirated torrents. And then we wouldn't have this economic crisis anymore or at least it will start to improve.
Zarroette is back!!!
George_Clinton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2014 12:54:01 PM
Movies are generally priced so that the producer can get as much money as economically viable... They are aware that if they made each movie, say, 100 dollars no one would purchase the movie and likely use torrents. However, the way they price it is so that the average consumer will purchase it. I bet they have done calculations, and do estimates, as to what they should price the movie before they release it... They probably get less profit if they make the movie extremely cheap, and that's why they price it the way they do. Torrenting does harm the industry as it takes profits away from the businessmen, but lowering the price would likely have no effect--or negative effect--on the industry due to lost profits. Too costly, everyone torrents. Too cheap, they make little profit. They are trying to find a happy medium.

You could actually crack down on illegal downloads if you really wanted to. Shutting down the major websites which exist today would, in fact, make it much harder for the average torrenter to download movies...

Really, here is the summary of the issue:
1) Torrenting has some negative effect on the industry, the amount it harms the industry is unknown
2) We could crack down on illegal downloads, but it would be expensive
3) Lowering the prices is not a solution as there is a profit motive as to why torrenting hurts the business, and a profit reason as to why they price it they way they do now. If they could lower the prices, but have increased profits they would do it. But the fact is... They wouldn't, so lowering the prices would not help.
Dynal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 9:59:16 PM
If they lowered prices of movies to a price where nobody would torrent, the profit may not be as high as it would be if they charge a higher price for the movies, though some people torrent them. Additionally, instead of government crackdown on illegal downloads, governments could encourage consumers to value products and their producers, and thereby encouraging them to pay for the product, rather than torrenting it.

One further point: Torrenting movies or music can help the economy through content marketing. A consumer may be on the fence on whether they want to buy the movie. If they like the movie, they'll want it on DVD, but they don't know if they want it. So, to solve this, they torrent it, watch the movie, decide they like it, then, finally, purchase it. If they hadn't had the option of torrenting it, they wouldn't have known if they would have wanted it, and probably wouldn't have purchased it in an effort to find out.
My Blog: www.athoughtfulzephyr.com
TryingToBeOpenMinded
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 12:35:42 PM
I think you're part of users who do download torrents and buy pirated copies. But, I don't think most users are like this. The younger and the low income population has to resort to downloading torrents because they don't have the money. But, this group is less likely to buy the movie anyway.

On the other hand, the majority of the population doesn't have the time nor do they want to deal with the hassle of downloading torrents. They don't mind spending $5 on a movie rental or spending $15 on buying the actual dvd. They've got so much other things to deal with in their life, the little money isn't an issue.

Then, there are the people on the fringe. The people who make like $30k/year. $15 is a lot but they work all day and who wants to deal with getting caught? If you increase piracy laws/penalties, they will just buy the dvd instead of dealing with the hassle.
RainbowDash52
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 10:54:57 PM
I think the best solution to piracy is to just make it completely legal and the creators of digital media would just make their money off of donations. This way instead of only choosing between whether to buy legally or illegally torrent, people can choose to pay how much or how little they think it is worth. Additionally the creators of digital media will be encouraged to focus on quality to make people feel compelled to donate more money and focus less on advertisements since their money isn't directly from copies they sell.
apb4y
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 11:40:04 PM
Q: Why is television free?

A: The networks make enough money from advertising space to cover their costs.

The problem is that televisions are becoming obsolete. Why buy one when a computer can perform the same functions and on your schedule?

What we need is internet television. This requires that networks:

1. Make their stuff freely and permanently available online, with no zoning restrictions.

2. Stuff the programmes full of ads.

3. Crack down on pirated content.

Just cracking down on pirates won't work, because there's still demand for their services. First satisfy the demand, then crack down on the competition. Consumers would rather sit through ads for a guaranteed video than search through 20 duds on a pirate site, no matter how much they complain about the ads.