Jump to topic:

Neo-Mercantilism

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 11:54:25 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Can someone explain the differences in Neo-Mercantilism and Regulated Captialism?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2014 4:30:16 PM
Bump.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

phiLockeraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 10:45:49 PM
At 12/16/2014 11:54:25 AM, lannan13 wrote:
Can someone explain the differences in Neo-Mercantilism and Regulated Captialism?

Mercantilism is the principle that economic power = national power. All policies derived from that are merely to increase economic power through any means.

Regulated capitalism still places primacy on the individual choices. The regulations are there merely to ensure that there is a minimum standard guaranteed to every consumer/worker. It's not actually done with maximum economic efficiency in mind (although it is often done for maximum Federal revenue)
"Philosophy is a great conversation that never ends"

Writing for this website ----> www.dailyfreethinker.com
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 10:51:44 PM
At 12/20/2014 10:45:49 PM, phiLockeraptor wrote:

Mercantilism is the principle that economic power = national power. All policies derived from that are merely to increase economic power through any means.

Regulated capitalism still places primacy on the individual choices. The regulations are there merely to ensure that there is a minimum standard guaranteed to every consumer/worker. It's not actually done with maximum economic efficiency in mind (although it is often done for maximum Federal revenue)

So Mercantilism is the economy is the strong suit while Capitalism would rely on things like Geopolitics. But with the maximum Federal revenue in mind wouldn't that fall under mercantilism concidering that they also do everything to better the economy?

phiLockeraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 10:54:36 PM
At 12/20/2014 10:51:44 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 12/20/2014 10:45:49 PM, phiLockeraptor wrote:

So Mercantilism is the economy is the strong suit while Capitalism would rely on things like Geopolitics. But with the maximum Federal revenue in mind wouldn't that fall under mercantilism concidering that they also do everything to better the economy?

"Regulated" capitalism is a broad term. Most regulations are not meant to give that maximum federal revenue. The ones that are could be argued to be "mercantile" policies, but those policies are exceptions, not the rule.

Capitalism doesn't really rely on geopolitics as much as it does on individual benefit.

One last difference is that Mercantalism usually involves some kind of foreign exploitation, while regulated capitalism can but doesn't have to.
"Philosophy is a great conversation that never ends"

Writing for this website ----> www.dailyfreethinker.com
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 4:14:06 AM

Every thing short of classical capitalism and communism are some form of regulated capitalism. You need to be more specific on that definition.

But in short Neo-Mercantilism is basically protectionism, not every form of regulated capitalist economy need protectionism to function though (especially one that rely on internal demand to growth, and not rely too much on trade and export).
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 6:13:57 AM
At 12/22/2014 4:14:06 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:

Every thing short of classical capitalism and communism are some form of regulated capitalism. You need to be more specific on that definition.

But in short Neo-Mercantilism is basically protectionism, not every form of regulated capitalist economy need protectionism to function though (especially one that rely on internal demand to growth, and not rely too much on trade and export).

So protectionism like tarrifs and such to protect the domestic and new born industries from foreign competition?

suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 8:35:28 AM
At 12/22/2014 6:13:57 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 12/22/2014 4:14:06 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:

So protectionism like tarrifs and such to protect the domestic and new born industries from foreign competition?

In a sense, yes. What Neo-Mercantilism basically do is create as big of the trade barrier as possible to still make the trade happen, maximize export and minimize import is their motto, it also happen to help a lot of domestic industry in the process. Just as explained in the other comment of your trend, their goal is to maintain power by creating a very powerful currency that will allow them to buy other goods with massive marginal advantage, and they usually do that through tariff.