Jump to topic:

Secular Stagnation: Bernanke vs. Summers

ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2015 7:57:57 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm completely engrossed in this debate Ben Bernanke and Lawrence Summers are currently having about the merits of the secular-stagnation hypothesis -- the notion that full employment, price stability, and stable financial conditions cannot readily coexist due mainly to demographic forces applying downward pressure on the Wicksellian equilibrium interest rate.

I'm sympathetic to Summer's arguments, though Bernanke raises some excellent points -- particularly by citing a recent paper presented at the UChicago conference.

Bernanke's blog post: http://www.brookings.edu...

Summer's rebuttal: http://www.brookings.edu...

Thoughts?
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 12:44:02 PM
However, Summers argues that secular stagnation will ultimately reduce aggregate supply as well, as growth in the economy"s productive capacity is restrained by slow rates of capital formation and by the loss of workers" skills caused by long-term unemployment.
Bernanke

I think that somewhat misses the point. The economy's productive capacity can be restrained by non investment when there is plenty of capital to go around.

It seems to me that neither individual uses Japan as the poster child to identify how secular stagnation can happen. Japan companies are awash in cash due to low interest rates and Japanese intervention on their currency trying to keep exports a viable trade.

Despite this wages have not grown for decades. Granted there are other regulation which is hindering growth there such as requiring companies to provide 2 to 3 years of severance pay.

We don't have that same level of regulation in the US, but we too have slow capital growth and now stagnant wages despite negative and low real interest rates. It really makes one wonder.

I side more with Benanke when it is said and done, but I think when one tosses in the future of automation it changes the entire dynamics. There has to come to a point where the jobs created from creating and maintaining automation does not exceed the jobs lost from automation. There is no theoretical reason why the new jobs from automation would indefinitely make up for the lost jobs. secular stagnation may be the reality once that barrier is broken.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 7:08:23 AM
At 4/8/2015 7:04:26 AM, slo1 wrote:
http://seekingalpha.com...

I'll respond to this when I get a free minute. I'm not the biggest David-Stockman fan, though..

DDO's Economics Messiah
mamasharifa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 2:35:21 PM
TOP SELLING PENIS ENLARGEMENT CREAM (100% GUARANTEED RESULTS) FOR SIZE, POWER, EJACULATION & ROUNDS, CALL MAMA SHARIFA .+27761242361
Sexual enhancement products,natural cream no side effect 200%
penis enlargement,get bigger penis,increase ejaculation,increase sperm volume,enlargement penis,how do i enlarge my
penis,penis enlarger,better sex,
Top quick pennis enlargement cream for better sexual life,boost women, woman sex drive,make my dick bigger,grow penis
growth,bigger penis.
We want you to feel great about you! That's why our entire line of products is about making your life healthier, happier and
more exciting. Whether you choose sexual health enhancement products or products to improve your appearance and
attractiveness (and your confidence!), you can count on quality. All of our safe, natural products are made in certified
pharmaceutical-grade facilities using only the purest ingredients.
The Top quick pennis enlargement cream still the #1 seller among men's supplements worldwide! realy natural no side effect.
its the often-imitated, never-equalled cream that powers masculinity in many ways: used daily,it increases blood circulation
to the genital tissues, strengthens and tones sexual glands, supports the healthy production of sex hormones, and increases
stamina and sex drive.The cream even contains restorative nutrients to eliminate stress and anxiety and tonifies the adrenal
glands for overall improved sexual function and energy. Recommended for all sexually active men.
Its the Ultimate Male Potency Booster! Have you have always felt that your orgasms could be stronger and longer May be you
seek ways to increase your fertility and potency? This charm is your answer! Developed by a group of committed professionals
who focussed entirely on the enhancement and Sexual improvement of sexual function and enjoyment for men. This amazing new
charms will increase the volume of ejaculate; potency and fertility and the intensity of orgasm some have reported an
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 6:29:49 PM
At 4/8/2015 2:35:21 PM, mamasharifa wrote:
TOP SELLING PENIS ENLARGEMENT CREAM (100% GUARANTEED RESULTS) FOR SIZE, POWER, EJACULATION & ROUNDS, CALL MAMA SHARIFA .+27761242361
Sexual enhancement products,natural cream no side effect 200%
penis enlargement,get bigger penis,increase ejaculation,increase sperm volume,enlargement penis,how do i enlarge my
penis,penis enlarger,better sex,
Top quick pennis enlargement cream for better sexual life,boost women, woman sex drive,make my dick bigger,grow penis
growth,bigger penis.
We want you to feel great about you! That's why our entire line of products is about making your life healthier, happier and
more exciting. Whether you choose sexual health enhancement products or products to improve your appearance and
attractiveness (and your confidence!), you can count on quality. All of our safe, natural products are made in certified
pharmaceutical-grade facilities using only the purest ingredients.
The Top quick pennis enlargement cream still the #1 seller among men's supplements worldwide! realy natural no side effect.
its the often-imitated, never-equalled cream that powers masculinity in many ways: used daily,it increases blood circulation
to the genital tissues, strengthens and tones sexual glands, supports the healthy production of sex hormones, and increases
stamina and sex drive.The cream even contains restorative nutrients to eliminate stress and anxiety and tonifies the adrenal
glands for overall improved sexual function and energy. Recommended for all sexually active men.
Its the Ultimate Male Potency Booster! Have you have always felt that your orgasms could be stronger and longer May be you
seek ways to increase your fertility and potency? This charm is your answer! Developed by a group of committed professionals
who focussed entirely on the enhancement and Sexual improvement of sexual function and enjoyment for men. This amazing new
charms will increase the volume of ejaculate; potency and fertility and the intensity of orgasm some have reported an

Thanks. This helps me decides my opinion on the issue of sexular stagnation.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 6:44:59 PM
At 4/8/2015 6:29:49 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Lmfao.

DDO's Economics Messiah
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 6:45:45 PM
At 4/8/2015 6:44:59 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

Lmfao.

What is your opinion on sexular stagnation?
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 6:46:20 PM
At 4/8/2015 6:45:45 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Lmfao.

I think the jury is out.

DDO's Economics Messiah
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 6:47:03 PM
At 4/8/2015 6:46:20 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

Lmfao.

I think the jury is out.

I am talking about sexular stagnation not secular stagnation silly goose! Didn't you read the strong argument from the bot above?
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 6:48:44 PM
At 4/8/2015 6:47:03 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Lmfao.

I think the jury is out.

I am talking about sexular stagnation not secular stagnation silly goose! Didn't you read the strong argument from the bot above?

Yes, lol. The jury isn't out on secular stagnation -- that's happening, though it's likely from the supply side (i.e., fall in potential). On sexular stagnation, I think it's a different story.

DDO's Economics Messiah
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 6:53:17 PM
At 4/8/2015 6:48:44 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 4/8/2015 6:47:03 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Lmfao.

I think the jury is out.

Yes, lol. The jury isn't out on secular stagnation -- that's happening, though it's likely from the supply side (i.e., fall in potential). On sexular stagnation, I think it's a different story.

oooooooOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOO