Jump to topic:

Econ majors...What do you do or plan to do

Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 8:03:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I am curious what different econ majors are doing with their degrees. I plan to pursue a doctorate and/or go to work for the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 8:11:42 PM
At 5/16/2015 8:03:03 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
I am curious what different econ majors are doing with their degrees. I plan to pursue a doctorate and/or go to work for the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.

Most likely academia, and some sort of hyper-blogging. Someone needs to call Paul Krugman on his bullsh1t on a daily basis, lol.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 8:12:47 PM
At 5/16/2015 8:11:42 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

Most likely academia, and some sort of hyper-blogging. Someone needs to call Paul Krugman on his bullsh1t on a daily basis, lol.
So are you into economics for the money, glory, or perspective?
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 8:13:16 PM
Also, fun fact: the head of the FRB of Atlanta, Dennis Lockhart, is one of those "I'm from the industry, I know how to get stuff done" type guys. Suffice it to say, he's not my favorite FOMC member - by far.

DDO's Economics Messiah
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 8:15:14 PM
At 5/16/2015 8:12:47 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:

Certainly not the money.. what money? Lol.

It's just something I love. Sure, it would be great to gain some sort of notoriety from it - though I don't think I'd want to be in the spotlight as much as a Mankiw/Hubbard type, and if I were on the FOMC, God help us.. markets would go ballistic, lol. I don't have the communication skills for that. I'd say really uncomfortable things.

DDO's Economics Messiah
Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 8:18:49 PM

It's just something I love. Sure, it would be great to gain some sort of notoriety from it - though I don't think I'd want to be in the spotlight as much as a Mankiw/Hubbard type, and if I were on the FOMC, God help us.. markets would go ballistic, lol. I don't have the communication skills for that. I'd say really uncomfortable things.

I'm in it mostly for the money. Granted, I love the perspective, and if I follow it enough, I could also get the glory. I do not mind being in the spotlight. And my dream job is to be the Chairman of the Fed. I know that it is a long shot, especially since I am not going to any of the super schools, but I would love to be able to manipulate the US economy without having to worry about the petty political issues that the president must deal with on a daily basis.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 8:20:22 PM
At 5/16/2015 8:18:49 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:

I'm in it mostly for the money. Granted, I love the perspective, and if I follow it enough, I could also get the glory. I do not mind being in the spotlight. And my dream job is to be the Chairman of the Fed. I know that it is a long shot, especially since I am not going to any of the super schools, but I would love to be able to manipulate the US economy without having to worry about the petty political issues that the president must deal with on a daily basis.

There isn't that much money in it.. unless you wanted to work in industry, but that's a completely different job, tbh.

And the Fed has *a lot* of political issues to deal with, I'm afraid: testifying to dipsh1t congressman, dealing with calls for an audit, etc .

DDO's Economics Messiah
Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 8:22:44 PM
At 5/16/2015 8:20:22 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

There isn't that much money in it.. unless you wanted to work in industry, but that's a completely different job, tbh.

And the Fed has *a lot* of political issues to deal with, I'm afraid: testifying to dipsh1t congressman, dealing with calls for an audit, etc .

Then how come every source I look at says that economics is a great major for money?
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 8:29:50 PM
At 5/16/2015 8:22:44 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:

Then how come every source I look at says that economics is a great major for money?

Because the finance industry pays, lol. Goldman would love to hire econ majors.

DDO's Economics Messiah
Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 8:32:20 PM
At 5/16/2015 8:29:50 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

And what kind of things would someone in the finance industry do? And do they need graduate school or would a bachelors of science suffice?.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 8:33:07 PM
At 5/16/2015 8:32:20 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:

And what kind of things would someone in the finance industry do? And do they need graduate school or would a bachelors of science suffice?.

Analyze the current state of the economy, make recommendations, etc. Basically you'd be a financial analyst.

A bachelor's may suffice.

DDO's Economics Messiah
Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 8:37:16 PM
At 5/16/2015 8:33:07 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 5/16/2015 8:32:20 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:

Analyze the current state of the economy, make recommendations, etc. Basically you'd be a financial analyst.

A bachelor's may suffice.
Okay, thanks for the intel.
Chang29
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 11:17:37 PM

If you are going to call people out for BS, some disagreement is necessary. Krugman and yourself appear to be in agreement on most underlining premises.

Appeared agreement on:
Economies need assistance from central planners
Central planning of money supply
Central planning for target interest rates
Interaction of economic measuring tools
Inflation is great, both currency and price
Deflation, all types are to be feared
Taxation, small difference in type but still progressive and compulsory
Fiscal policies, just different victims and beneficiaries

You might disagree in uses and effects of central policies, but not premises of policies.

You are in agreement with a conscience of a liberal.
A free market anti-capitalist

If it can be de-centralized, it will be de-centralized.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 11:24:04 PM
At 5/16/2015 11:17:37 PM, Chang29 wrote:
If you are going to call people out for BS, some disagreement is necessary.

That's only fair - mind you, you still haven't responded to my last post to you on savings and the role GDP.

Krugman and yourself appear to be in agreement on most underlining premises.

Lol, completely wrong - only on monetary policy, and even then we don't totally agree.

Appeared agreement on:
Economies need assistance from central planners

No, not at all. I don't support central planning.

Central planning of money supply

That's hardly "central planning." The money supply is set by banks, not by the Fed. The Fed can only set the base.

Central planning for target interest rates

100% wrong. I told you I don't want the FFR as an operating target. I've told you this consistently. This is just carelessness.

Interaction of economic measuring tools

That isn't Krugman and me agreeing - that's anyone who is sane and me.

Inflation is great, both currency and price

I never said it's "great." This is a total strawman. Not to mention, only certain types of inflation are even acceptable, but I've *never* reasoned from a price change.

Deflation, all types are to be feared

Sure; wages and prices are sticky, so deflation pushes up real wages and reduces employment. That's just a fact. Milton Friedman agreed with that.

Taxation, small difference in type but still progressive and compulsory

Lol.

All taxes are compulsory.

I support a NIT or a progressive consumption tax - both are technically progressive, yes, though there are clearly SUBSTANTIAL differences between Krugman and me on taxes. He'd call me a looney bird.

Fiscal policies, just different victims and beneficiaries

Nope. I constantly rail against fiscal stimulus.

You might disagree in uses and effects of central policies, but not premises of policies.

Sure - both of us acknowledge that AD is important. Other than that, we disagree on everything.

You are in agreement with a conscience of a liberal.

Lol, nope.

DDO's Economics Messiah