Jump to topic:

My fellow econ buffs...

Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 9:06:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I do not know about you, but I get bored waiting around for someone to post a forum or reply to a new one. This is why I suggest that we should blow up the economics forum. We should have ten to fifteen active threads at one time for everyone's particular field of expertise. This will make the econ thread more popular, attract more people, and give us something to post whenever we are ready.
So, everyone, start creating threads!
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 9:07:57 PM
At 5/16/2015 9:06:57 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
I do not know about you, but I get bored waiting around for someone to post a forum or reply to a new one. This is why I suggest that we should blow up the economics forum. We should have ten to fifteen active threads at one time for everyone's particular field of expertise. This will make the econ thread more popular, attract more people, and give us something to post whenever we are ready.

I'm scared.
Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 9:08:26 PM
At 5/16/2015 9:07:57 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

I'm scared.
Why?
Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 9:18:50 PM
At 5/16/2015 9:13:57 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I do not know about you, but I suggest that we should blow up the economics forum.
Point taken
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2015 8:41:56 AM

Hi Cowboy... I just wanted to say, I really love what you're doing because you've really livened up the econ forum. I don't comment here too often because I don't usually comment on things if I know nothing about them. However, I do enjoy reading threads a lot.

Just don't post all 15 of those threads at a time, or you'll get banned for spamming!
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2015 8:50:06 AM
I think this would be a good idea, though Lord helps us should we hit diminishing returns..
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2015 9:39:46 AM
At 5/21/2015 8:41:56 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

Hi Cowboy... I just wanted to say, I really love what you're doing because you've really livened up the econ forum. I don't comment here too often because I don't usually comment on things if I know nothing about them. However, I do enjoy reading threads a lot.

Just don't post all 15 of those threads at a time, or you'll get banned for spamming!
Alright thanks
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2015 4:26:20 PM

I agree. I look forward to learning about new economic topics and such.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2015 4:27:29 PM
At 5/16/2015 9:18:50 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
At 5/16/2015 9:13:57 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I do not know about you, but I suggest that we should blow up the economics forum.
Point taken

They have a word/phrase caughter and if a certain word/phrase is in there then they put it aside and moniter it. Congrats on doing so.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2015 6:19:35 PM
At 5/21/2015 4:26:20 PM, lannan13 wrote:

As do I
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2015 6:21:02 PM
At 5/21/2015 6:19:35 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:

As do I

I'm not too bright when it comes to economics, so Joey has had me reading Milton Friedman and arguing with you has also had me researching my view points.

Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2015 6:23:37 PM
At 5/21/2015 6:21:02 PM, lannan13 wrote:

As do I

I'm not too bright when it comes to economics, so Joey has had me reading Milton Friedman and arguing with you has also had me researching my view points.

That is what I love to hear!
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2015 6:24:47 PM
At 5/21/2015 6:23:37 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:

As do I

I'm also looking at majoring in economics as a possibility for college.

Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2015 6:30:03 PM
At 5/21/2015 6:24:47 PM, lannan13 wrote:

As do I

It is an awesome and versatile major. I am still in high school, but I will be starting college as a sophomore this fall majoring in econ. I have already spend hundreds of hours learning about econ, it is fascinating. When I first started, I was only interested in macro econ, but micro econ is just as fascinating.
http://ocw.mit.edu...
This is a link to an awesome and simple to understand economics textbook. I have already read almost five hundred pages over it.
http://www.il-rs.org.br...
This is link to a Milton Friedman book. I am only a few chapters into it, but it has an awesome description of the function and purpose of money (that aligns very closely with Austrian Econ), and it describes free trade better than anywhere else I have seen.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2015 8:36:01 AM
At 5/21/2015 6:30:03 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
At 5/21/2015 6:24:47 PM, lannan13 wrote:

As do I

It is an awesome and versatile major. I am still in high school, but I will be starting college as a sophomore this fall majoring in econ. I have already spend hundreds of hours learning about econ, it is fascinating. When I first started, I was only interested in macro econ, but micro econ is just as fascinating.
This is a link to an awesome and simple to understand economics textbook. I have already read almost five hundred pages over it.
This is link to a Milton Friedman book. I am only a few chapters into it, but it has an awesome description of the function and purpose of money (that aligns very closely with Austrian Econ), and it describes free trade better than anywhere else I have seen.

Well I know, I found you that book. I've read a ton of Friedman's stuff from Free to Choose and Freedom and Capitalism.

Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2015 9:24:51 AM

Well I know, I found you that book. I've read a ton of Friedman's stuff from Free to Choose and Freedom and Capitalism.

Yeah, I thought of that after I posted it. I love that book btw. Still, econ textbooks are awesome to read.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2015 9:32:08 AM
At 5/22/2015 9:24:51 AM, Cowboy0108 wrote:

Yeah, I thought of that after I posted it. I love that book btw. Still, econ textbooks are awesome to read.

Glad you're liking it. I enjoy reading text books, but the ones at my school didn't really teach anything new.

Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2015 9:34:47 AM
At 5/22/2015 9:32:08 AM, lannan13 wrote:

Glad you're liking it. I enjoy reading text books, but the ones at my school didn't really teach anything new.
High school econ books are terrible. The formatting, the text, the order, all make me want to cringe. College econ books are in a logical order, provide plenty of examples, and a formatted like an actual book. It makes them much more enjoyable and informative.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2015 9:38:11 AM
At 5/22/2015 9:34:47 AM, Cowboy0108 wrote:

High school econ books are terrible. The formatting, the text, the order, all make me want to cringe. College econ books are in a logical order, provide plenty of examples, and a formatted like an actual book. It makes them much more enjoyable and informative.

Sadly I can't find any.

Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2015 9:52:41 AM
At 5/22/2015 9:38:11 AM, lannan13 wrote:

Sadly I can't find any.

What about the microecon textbook link I gave you above?
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2015 2:55:29 PM
At 5/22/2015 9:52:41 AM, Cowboy0108 wrote:

Sadly I can't find any.

I'm talking about actual books.

Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2015 5:27:29 PM
At 5/22/2015 2:55:29 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 5/22/2015 9:52:41 AM, Cowboy0108 wrote:

Sadly I can't find any.

I'm talking about actual books.

Oh yeah...those are expensive and rare. If you can, I would look for The Price of Liberty. It is the history of how America has paid for all of its wars. It is pretty high level, but interesting. I would at least read the first half of it because it gets a little biased after that. Still, the section on Reagan is pretty dang good.