Jump to topic:

"New Housing Bubble"

ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2015 1:42:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Please tell me I don't need to explain why there's no fcking housing bubble. Please, for the love of God, tell me you're all intelligent enough to know there is not and will not be another bubble.

If not, I'll explain it, but I don't want to. Frankly, the BOP isn't on me, but on the person making a positive claim: prove to me that housing prices deviate from fundamentals. Do it, I dare it; it can't be done.

Anyway, let's see how this turns out.

P.S. My inspiration from this thread was seeing two ostensibly intelligent people make the same fcking argument, and it irks me greatly.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2015 1:48:37 AM
Okay, I'll bite.

REASONS THERE IS NOT A HOUSING BUBBLE

1. The proximal cause of the financial crisis was not low interest rates; it was loose regulatory policy and shadow banking that Alan Greenspan, Larry Summers, Rob Rubin and friends thought could regulate itself. Clearly, that wasn't the case, and moral hazard proceeds. Provisions have been put in place, like the stress tests and living-will provisions under Dodd-Frank, which are tailored precisely to lean against too-big-to-fail. It's not perfect policy, but it's enough to circumvent another bubble - and the recent stress-test results showed that U.S. banks do have enough capital to weather another storm.

2. Housing prices are still low relative to normal levels. We don't know where "normal" is because obviously the pre-recession average is a crappy benchmark, but if you go back further - say, 20 years - we're still far below that, and will be for some time due to existing inventory overhang, if anything. Prices have been accelerating recently and permits have been rising, but that could just be - and probably is - a function of an economy nearing full employment or the real-income gains from falling oil prices finally kicking in.

3. RGDP numbers have been bloody horrid, as have inflation numbers. Can you really tell me with a straight face that that's a sign of an economy overheating?

4. Low interest rates =/= easy money.

5. I don't care if you use real rates. I don't care if you use real rates factoring in financial frictions. They don't mean easy money.

DDO's Economics Messiah
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2015 1:49:41 AM
At 7/7/2015 1:42:26 AM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
Please tell me I don't need to explain why there's no fcking housing bubble. Please, for the love of God, tell me you're all intelligent enough to know there is not and will not be another bubble.

If not, I'll explain it, but I don't want to. Frankly, the BOP isn't on me, but on the person making a positive claim: prove to me that housing prices deviate from fundamentals. Do it, I dare it; it can't be done.

P.S. My inspiration from this thread was seeing two ostensibly intelligent people make the same fcking argument, and it irks me greatly.

there is one
source: peter schiff

get rekt scrub, lern to econ. schiff is a real expert. u are wrong
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2015 1:50:10 AM
At 7/7/2015 1:49:41 AM, 16kadams wrote:

there is one

Ah, well, you got me there.

DDO's Economics Messiah
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2015 2:00:44 AM
At 7/7/2015 1:50:10 AM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

there is one

econ messiah? more like econ scrub
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2015 2:01:00 AM
But, really, there are a lot of things people who don't know much about economics assume to be true, but aren't in fact true:

(a) Fiscal stimulus is a good thing. No, it's not, and it only works if the Fed is asleep at the job or has been asleep for such a long time that it fucked up long-run potential.

(b) The MW is about "helping the little guy." No, it's not. They'd be much better off with more flexible labor markets and a more pronounced EITC.

(c) Of course we have a bubble! No, we don't.

(d) Inflation is a bad thing. Nope, not quite, though it can be bad in excessive amounts.

(e) Trade deficits - and free trade - kills jobs. Nope, see my rant. This is reasoning from a quantity change.

(f) Low interest rates = easy money. Nope.

(g) Flat wages = labor market slack. Nope, and this ignores alternative measures of wage compensation like the ECI and the ECEC which show anything *but* stagnation.

(h) Easy money causes bubbles. Nope.

DDO's Economics Messiah
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2015 2:01:22 AM
At 7/7/2015 2:00:44 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 7/7/2015 1:50:10 AM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

there is one

econ messiah? more like econ scrub

That sounds about right. Every dog has his day, though.

DDO's Economics Messiah
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 8:51:00 AM
At 7/7/2015 2:01:00 AM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
But, really, there are a lot of things people who don't know much about economics assume to be true, but aren't in fact true:

(a) Fiscal stimulus is a good thing. No, it's not, and it only works if the Fed is asleep at the job or has been asleep for such a long time that it fucked up long-run potential.

That is a ridiculous statement. With that statement you are proposing that the Fed only be able to change the Federal Funds rate, which alone would do nothing in low liquidity situations and have very little impact on the economy overall. The Fed has to have the power to sell and buy bonds on the open market in order to further influence interest rates and provide liquidity to the market. Low overnight borrowing rates between banks alone will not solve a liquidity problem like the one we had in 2008.

Raising the Federal Funds rate would have done nothing to stop the 2008 recession. It would have required selling bonds on the open market to pull liquidity from the economy, which again you are proposing is not a tool the Fed should have.

(b) The MW is about "helping the little guy." No, it's not. They'd be much better off with more flexible labor markets and a more pronounced EITC.

(c) Of course we have a bubble! No, we don't.

(d) Inflation is a bad thing. Nope, not quite, though it can be bad in excessive amounts.

(e) Trade deficits - and free trade - kills jobs. Nope, see my rant. This is reasoning from a quantity change.

(f) Low interest rates = easy money. Nope.

(g) Flat wages = labor market slack. Nope, and this ignores alternative measures of wage compensation like the ECI and the ECEC which show anything *but* stagnation.

(h) Easy money causes bubbles. Nope.
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 8:54:27 AM
Just out of curiosity Responsibly, do you think there could be a potential bubble in the green energy sector. I was curious about this because of the many funds and subsidies being sent to prop up green energy companies, but I'm pretty sure it will be a while before any bubble.

What about internet social media companies like Twitter and Facebook? Do you think there could be a possible bubble from them?
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 10:52:50 AM
At 7/9/2015 8:51:00 AM, slo1 wrote:
That is a ridiculous statement.

It's not; as usual, you don't understand the point I'm making, so you're strawmanning it and even ignoring the numerous caveats within it. I have several other posts on this as well explaining the point in more depth.

With that statement you are proposing that the Fed only be able to change the Federal Funds rate, which alone would do nothing in low liquidity situations and have very little impact on the economy overall.

When in the world did I say that the Fed should only be able to change the FFR? That's ludicrous. There are several different ways in which the Fed can provide more accommodation even after that rate reaches zero: forward guidance, asset purchases, devaluation, etc.

Second, the mechanism by which the Fed would reduce the fed funds rate is physically buying up reserves, which *provides* liquidity. So that's false as well.

The Fed has to have the power to sell and buy bonds on the open market in order to further influence interest rates and provide liquidity to the market.

Yup, textbook Macro, and defiles what you just said that cutting rates in low-liquidity environments would have no impact because it's physically *providing* liquidity even through conventional OMO's.

Low overnight borrowing rates between banks alone will not solve a liquidity problem like the one we had in 2008.

I never said it would. I've mades several posts saying that it wouldn't -- low interest rates were a function of a Fed that was already asleep at the job. I'm with Milton Friedman on this: low rates signal not that money is loose, but that it was tight: i.e., that a fall in the demand for credit as opposed to an expansion in the supply of credit is the bulk of what made rates fall. Add financial frictions to the mix and the situation becomes even worse, though obviously liquidity provision and QE leaned against that.

Raising the Federal Funds rate would have done nothing to stop the 2008 recession.

When did I suggest that raising interest rates would stop a recession? That was the entire point of this post: raising rates to lean on a "bubble" is futile. I can point to two recent papers, actually, finding that leaning on bubbles, even insofar as those bubbles are detectible, is useless. This isn't a unique point, nor did I suggest this could ever be the case.

It would have required selling bonds on the open market to pull liquidity from the economy, which again you are proposing is not a tool the Fed should have.

When in the world did I suggest that shouldn't be a tool the Fed ought to have? Please quote me on that, because I've never said that. In the past I've said that ideally the Fed shouldn't target the FFR, but nominal GDP, but that says nothing about whether it ought to be able to buy or sell bonds via OMO purchases.

Now, if I suggested, as Ben Bernanke has, that we may be able to make do with a permanently elevated balance sheet, whereby OMO operations of short-term securities would be pretty much useless, perhaps you'd have a case -- but I've never suggested that. Back in 2008-2009 I would've made a credible commitment that at least some of the increase in the balance sheet was permanent, but that's long overdue and the Fed has already promised that it's going to unwind the balance sheet. Simon Potter, the Market Manager, told us that it would likely occur by 2020 -- and, mind you, that may change with the course of policy firming, but it tells us at the very least that it will happen.

So, no, I'm not opposed to Open Market Operations. That wasn't even close to what I said. I said that the Fed, if it it so choose, could ameliorate the entirety of the recession by itself had it been more aggressive. Because it wasn't, there are two ramifications: (a) the economy long-term potential is in check due in part to the depth of the downturn and (b) we still have a sizable output gap. Fiscal stimulus is one way to address both, though it shouldn't be, because neither would be problems had the Fed done its job. That was the entirety of my point.

DDO's Economics Messiah
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 10:54:47 AM
At 7/9/2015 8:54:27 AM, 1Historygenius wrote:
Just out of curiosity Responsibly, do you think there could be a potential bubble in the green energy sector. I was curious about this because of the many funds and subsidies being sent to prop up green energy companies, but I'm pretty sure it will be a while before any bubble.

What about internet social media companies like Twitter and Facebook? Do you think there could be a possible bubble from them?

I'm not particularly well-versed in these industries, but I can't imagine there being a bubble in other or subsidies unto themselves being the driving force of that. Maybe you could make the case for an irrational-exuberance bubble (like the tech bubble), but I don't see any signs of that. Either way, it won't be remotely close to the sheer magnitude of the housing bubble.

DDO's Economics Messiah
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 10:55:57 AM

But there is a housing bubble.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 10:57:47 AM
At 7/9/2015 10:55:57 AM, RevNge wrote:

There's a bubble of hot air that inflates every time you kill a bunny.

DDO's Economics Messiah
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 11:30:42 AM
At 7/9/2015 10:57:47 AM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

There's a bubble of rabbit blood as well.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 11:31:17 AM
At 7/9/2015 11:30:42 AM, RevNge wrote:

-:(

DDO's Economics Messiah
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 11:49:07 AM
At 7/9/2015 11:31:17 AM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

* >:(
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 11:57:06 AM
At 7/9/2015 11:49:07 AM, Lee001 wrote:

You gave him a blow torch!

*shuns*

DDO's Economics Messiah
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 11:58:07 AM
At 7/9/2015 11:57:06 AM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

*shuns*

Hehehe >:)
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 11:58:33 AM
At 7/9/2015 11:58:07 AM, Lee001 wrote:

*shuns*

DDO's Economics Messiah
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 12:00:10 PM
At 7/9/2015 11:58:33 AM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

*shuns*

*hugs*

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 12:00:49 PM
At 7/9/2015 12:00:10 PM, Lee001 wrote:

*shuns*

*hugs*

Nice try.

*cold shoulder*

DDO's Economics Messiah
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 12:01:39 PM
At 7/9/2015 12:00:49 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

*shuns*

*hugs*

Nice try.

*cold shoulder*

Pwease? :(

I'll give you a carrot..

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 12:02:23 PM
At 7/9/2015 12:01:39 PM, Lee001 wrote:

*shuns*

*hugs*

Nice try.

*cold shoulder*

No.

I'll give you a carrot..

It's probably poisoned... and I grow "special" carrots in my backyard.

DDO's Economics Messiah
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 12:03:20 PM
At 7/9/2015 12:02:23 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

*shuns*

*hugs*

Nice try.

*cold shoulder*

No.

I'll give you a carrot..

Oh? special? like the kind you eat, and they automatically put you into that "happy mood"?

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 12:04:49 PM
At 7/9/2015 12:03:20 PM, Lee001 wrote:

*shuns*

*hugs*

Nice try.

*cold shoulder*

No.

I'll give you a carrot..

Oh? special? like the kind you eat, and they automatically put you into that "happy mood"?

I'm obligated to plead the fifth.

DDO's Economics Messiah
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 12:05:35 PM
At 7/9/2015 12:04:49 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

*shuns*

*hugs*

Nice try.

*cold shoulder*

No.

I'll give you a carrot..

You're a fugitive, aren't you?

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 12:06:11 PM
At 7/9/2015 12:05:35 PM, Lee001 wrote:

*shuns*

*hugs*

Nice try.

*cold shoulder*

No.

I'll give you a carrot..

I'm a bunny. That's all I know.

DDO's Economics Messiah
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 12:06:42 PM
At 7/9/2015 12:06:11 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

*shuns*

*hugs*

Nice try.

*cold shoulder*

No.

I'll give you a carrot..

Male? Female? Hermaphrodite?

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 12:08:32 PM
At 7/9/2015 12:06:42 PM, Lee001 wrote:

*shuns*

*hugs*

Nice try.

*cold shoulder*

No.

I'll give you a carrot..

Yes.

DDO's Economics Messiah
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 12:10:02 PM
At 7/9/2015 12:08:32 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 7/9/2015 12:06:42 PM, Lee001 wrote:

*shuns*

*hugs*

Nice try.

*cold shoulder*

No.

I'll give you a carrot..

Yes.

I really should be using proper terms here.

Buck? Doe?

You said "Yes" Meaning you are a Hermaphrodite. I'll be sure to note that, and let the police know.

Watch out 0_0

My hubby Hayd <3 <3