Jump to topic:

Greek Bank Collapse Countdown

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 3:51:25 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
It's almost noon in Athens right now. That means that they have 60 or so hours until the banks finally fall.

http://www.wsj.com...
http://www.businessinsider.com...
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 1:12:54 PM
The funny story is, Alexis Tsipras actually caved -- considerably -- on both his election pledge *and* the results of Sunday's referendum after, inconveniently, Greece's creditors came out and said not only that (a) they had detailed plans for a Grexit should it become necessary and (b) that conditions of the agreement would need to become even harsher; that's why Tsipras proposed more austerity than was in the latest Troika proposal.

I do think that, in light of Tsipras's newfound pragmatism, they'll probably reach a deal. Whether it's before the banks shut down is another question entirely. If not, they'd probably have to issue temporarily a new currency, which even the German Finance Minister -- strangely, somewhat chastened by the results of the referendum -- suggested might be a possibility. Either that, or wages and salaries will be paid in I.O.U.'s until the bailout conditions are signed off on.

Case in point, Greek banks have been shutdown for about a week. It sounds unbelievably dire and it is, but Tsipras and his Syriza friends are relatively intransigent, but not stupid. They're aware of the consequences of austerity and how utterly stupid their opposition is, which is really on par in mental acumen with the Rhodes Scholars in Texas "Get your government hands off my Medicare." I say they reach a deal.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
Prodigy0789
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 5:48:13 PM
They're aware of the consequences of austerity and how utterly stupid their opposition is, which is really on par in mental acumen with the Rhodes Scholars in Texas "Get your government hands off my Medicare." I say they reach a deal.

Finally, someone who shares my political views! Welcome to the sanity club.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 5:55:29 PM
At 7/10/2015 5:48:13 PM, Prodigy0789 wrote:
They're aware of the consequences of austerity and how utterly stupid their opposition is, which is really on par in mental acumen with the Rhodes Scholars in Texas "Get your government hands off my Medicare." I say they reach a deal.

Finally, someone who shares my political views! Welcome to the sanity club.

Awesome!

The economics of austerity always seemed cut and dry to me, to be honest, though I would've supported the referendum for political and pragmatic reasons. The ideal scenario was for the ECB to cut the Greeks a check, much like the Fed cut AIG several. No austerity would have been necessary, but even if it were implemented, it would be offset by expansionary monetary policy. It doesn't exactly help that Mario Draghi was complicit in intimidating Greece into accepting gratuitous reforms.

DDO's Economics Messiah
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 6:05:33 AM
33 hours away from Monday.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 6:07:28 AM
I've only slept a couple hours since making this thread.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 4:40:51 PM
At 7/10/2015 1:12:54 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
The funny story is, Alexis Tsipras actually caved -- considerably -- on both his election pledge *and* the results of Sunday's referendum after, inconveniently, Greece's creditors came out and said not only that (a) they had detailed plans for a Grexit should it become necessary and (b) that conditions of the agreement would need to become even harsher; that's why Tsipras proposed more austerity than was in the latest Troika proposal.

I do think that, in light of Tsipras's newfound pragmatism, they'll probably reach a deal. Whether it's before the banks shut down is another question entirely. If not, they'd probably have to issue temporarily a new currency, which even the German Finance Minister -- strangely, somewhat chastened by the results of the referendum -- suggested might be a possibility. Either that, or wages and salaries will be paid in I.O.U.'s until the bailout conditions are signed off on.

Case in point, Greek banks have been shutdown for about a week. It sounds unbelievably dire and it is, but Tsipras and his Syriza friends are relatively intransigent, but not stupid. They're aware of the consequences of austerity and how utterly stupid their opposition is, which is really on par in mental acumen with the Rhodes Scholars in Texas "Get your government hands off my Medicare." I say they reach a deal.

Seems to me that the Greeks have voiced their desires in 2 different elections, yet it's obvious that they are not willing to pay the consequences. I want what I want doesn't seem to work here.
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 4:49:19 PM
At 7/11/2015 4:40:51 PM, ironslippers wrote:

Seems to me that the Greeks have voiced their desires in 2 different elections, yet it's obvious that they are not willing to pay the consequences. I want what I want doesn't seem to work here.

Yeah, true, though the Syriza platform had two contradictory, mutually-exclusive planks:
maintain the euro and reject austerity. The latter obviously obviates the former, though Tsipras seems to be, finally, prioritizing.

DDO's Economics Messiah
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 4:58:29 PM
At 7/11/2015 4:49:19 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

Yeah, true, though the Syriza platform had two contradictory, mutually-exclusive planks:
maintain the euro and reject austerity. The latter obviously obviates the former, though Tsipras seems to be, finally, prioritizing.

Maybe its my sources but Tsipras seems to burning as much time as he can get, gives me the impression that there is something else in play that has yet to be revealed, or maybe not.
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 5:06:23 PM
At 7/11/2015 4:58:29 PM, ironslippers wrote:
At 7/11/2015 4:49:19 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

Maybe its my sources but Tsipras seems to burning as much time as he can get, gives me the impression that there is something else in play that has yet to be revealed, or maybe not.

You mean, with his own party? I've seen some news stories speculating about it -- we may be thinking of the same one, actually -- but I'm inclined, at least at the moment, to attribute it to pragmatism, and the (I think very sensible) acknowledgment that the longer he drags this out, the harsher the austerity will be.

DDO's Economics Messiah
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 5:17:50 PM

You mean, with his own party? I've seen some news stories speculating about it -- we may be thinking of the same one, actually -- but I'm inclined, at least at the moment, to attribute it to pragmatism, and the (I think very sensible) acknowledgment that the longer he drags this out, the harsher the austerity will be.

I'm thinkng along the lines of assets that the greek have yet to divulge or perhaps an alliance. I agree the longer he drags this out, the harsher the austerity will be, so why drag this out eventually the Greeks will turn against Syriza
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 5:19:29 PM
At 7/11/2015 5:17:50 PM, ironslippers wrote:

I'm thinkng along the lines of assets that the greek have yet to divulge or perhaps an alliance. I agree the longer he drags this out, the harsher the austerity will be, so why drag this out eventually the Greeks will turn against Syriza

What sort of an alliance, though? I guess I'm not really following, though I admit the politics of this are largely outside my wheelhouse -- I do agree that eventually the Greeks probably will turn on Syriza, perhaps after they realize that the position they've voted for is untenable to maintain the euro.

DDO's Economics Messiah
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 5:27:22 PM
At 7/11/2015 5:19:29 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

What sort of an alliance, though? I guess I'm not really following, though I admit the politics of this are largely outside my wheelhouse -- I do agree that eventually the Greeks probably will turn on Syriza, perhaps after they realize that the position they've voted for is untenable to maintain the euro.

Outside the box it could be any country that wants influence in western europe, China, Russia, Brazil, Iran, etc. I agree that sounds extreme (and unlikely) but this is uncharted territory anything might happen.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 5:28:49 PM
At 7/11/2015 5:27:22 PM, ironslippers wrote:

Outside the box it could be any country that wants influence in western europe, China, Russia, Brazil, Iran, etc. I agree that sounds extreme (and unlikely) but this is uncharted territory anything might happen.

Oh, you mean another country might swoop in with an emergency loan? Yeah, I agree that actually could happen. In fact, Joe Stiglitz just recommended that the U.S. cut them a check. But wouldn't that, if anything, encourage Tsipras to *not* seek a deal because he wouldn't need to accept the Troika-mandated reforms?

DDO's Economics Messiah
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 5:39:15 PM
At 7/11/2015 5:28:49 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

Oh, you mean another country might swoop in with an emergency loan? Yeah, I agree that actually could happen. In fact, Joe Stiglitz just recommended that the U.S. cut them a check. But wouldn't that, if anything, encourage Tsipras to *not* seek a deal because he wouldn't need to accept the Troika-mandated reforms?

Then why the waste of time? I have much respect for Stiglitz and I Didn't consider the US, point being what MIGHT happen is probably something I and others haven't considered.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 5:42:11 PM
Less than 24 hours to Monday.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 5:56:12 PM
At 7/11/2015 5:39:15 PM, ironslippers wrote:
At 7/11/2015 5:28:49 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

Then why the waste of time?

Exactly -- if there were some secret bailout in the works, I don't see why Tsipras would be trying so hard for a deal. I suppose he might be gunning for a debt write-down, though, which he probably won't get.

I have much respect for Stiglitz and I Didn't consider the US, point being what MIGHT happen is probably something I and others haven't considered.

Yeah, and the thing is, the U.S. probably could do it -- it wouldn't be politically popular (and I don't think the Fed has the authority to do it), but it would realistically be an excellent return on investment, if only for avoiding the ramifications of a Grexit.

DDO's Economics Messiah
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 5:21:06 AM
A bit under 11 hours to Monday. And...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk...

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 6:15:25 PM
No deal, and it's Monday. The bank collapse is coming.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 2:29:38 AM
No collapse...yet...

http://www.bbc.com...