Jump to topic:

Is the Wall Street Journal fun?

logical-master123
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 11:12:38 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Here is the problem. Someone told me that I should read the Wall Street Journal. Is it fun? What is it about? And also can you post some articles?
Came back to the site :)
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 6:32:14 PM
At 10/17/2015 11:12:38 AM, logical-master123 wrote:
Here is the problem. Someone told me that I should read the Wall Street Journal. Is it fun? What is it about? And also can you post some articles?

That depends on how you define "fun."

I only read the economics section because it's a great way to save time: i.e., I don't need to pour through Bloomberg calendars for data releases, or something, and can often avoid having to read the full reports, which is great for my packed schedule. There are rarely, if ever, insights you wouldn't find elsewhere, and often the pieces are misguided (read: the authors ignorant of the complexity of the topic they're "reporting" on).

The op-eds are also terrible, but they're to be avoided unless you want a good laugh or need someone/something to shred.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
Sarai.K82
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2015 1:52:33 PM
It's informative. It tends to be conservative. I don't think I would ever describe it as fun. You can just go to http://www.wsj.com... and you'll see a ton of their articles. The site won't let you read all of them unless you subscribe though as far as I know.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 4:46:27 PM

Depends on the articles. I get Email updates from them ranging from the Fed to Oil.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 4:50:33 PM

The publication sucks. It is a very right-wing leaning publication, and doesn't provide a clear and concise overview of topics of importance. I read The Economist and Foreign Affairs. If you have one of those two, especially the economist, you should be set.
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers

Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
Daktoria
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 5:18:35 PM

I read the WSJ before News Corp. bought it out. Back then, the articles had depth, wisdom, insight, and everything else which makes news actually worth reading.

Today, the WSJ is just like any other newspaper. It's shallow, bland, and boring. It focuses on minute facts, and doesn't offer any wider or deeper perspective on issues.

Put simply, there isn't much difference between reading the WSJ and the NYT today...

...other than how the WSJ is conservative while the NYT is liberal. Back in 2006, the WSJ was more than just conservative. It was sophisticated too. Now, it makes conservatism look like crap.
Daktoria
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 5:21:33 PM
Also, just fyi, don't subscribe to online news sources.

Online news has become ridiculously stupid. It's like they're reducing the quality while increasing the price just to play hard to get, and make people want something because it seems mysterious.

Basically, online news has become like that passive-aggressive ex-romantic partner you wish you never had. It started out nice, but got worse and worse over time to the point that it lost all its flair, and wants to make you pay for the little bit it has left.
Garbanza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 6:08:41 PM
At 10/25/2015 5:21:33 PM, Daktoria wrote:

Online news has become ridiculously stupid. It's like they're reducing the quality while increasing the price just to play hard to get, and make people want something because it seems mysterious.

Basically, online news has become like that passive-aggressive ex-romantic partner you wish you never had. It started out nice, but got worse and worse over time to the point that it lost all its flair, and wants to make you pay for the little bit it has left.

So what do you think the best news/analysis sources are then?
TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 6:14:48 PM
At 10/25/2015 6:08:41 PM, Garbanza wrote:

The Economist
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers

Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
Daktoria
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 2:27:16 AM
At 10/25/2015 6:08:41 PM, Garbanza wrote:

I used to read The Economist, FT, Barrons, Reuters, Forbes, Investors Business Daily...

...but there really isn't much quality reporting these days. The industry in general has gone to crap. It's become so fact oriented that it's forgotten what qualifies as valuable facts. You get a lot of tangential nonsense and insufficient information.
Daktoria
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 2:30:52 AM
Also, there's very little cultural/humanities oriented news these days that isn't either loaded with hippie or pop culture garbage. There's some religious/evangelical stuff out there, but there's nothing really objective.

Business isn't everything. You need to know what really makes the world tick. You need to understand demand as well as supply, and that means grasping the arts and ideas that people believe in.
Garbanza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 3:53:23 AM
Thanks. Yeah, I wish there were better news sources or that I knew about them. The economist is okay but it really annoys me. That may not be a bad thing though.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2015 8:18:23 PM
At 10/25/2015 4:50:33 PM, TheProphett wrote:
The publication is awesome!

Fixed.

It is a right-leaning publication, and provides a clear and concise overview of topics of importance.

Fixed.

I read The Economist and Foreign Affairs. If you have one of those two, especially the economist, you should be set.

Those are both good as well. ;)
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW