Jump to topic:

Anyone interested in the stock market?

WAM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 8:11:47 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
Anyone on here who is interested in the stock market?

I really enjoy analysing the stock market and making predictions, I use a couple simulators, and basically am looking for anyone who has a similar passion to just chat about stocks, economy and news. (or debating... I mean we are on DDO...)

I mostly do NASDAQ penny stocks, but I guess I know quite a bit about other stocks too..
Chang29
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 9:55:18 AM
At 12/13/2015 8:11:47 AM, WAM wrote:

I really enjoy analysing the stock market and making predictions, I use a couple simulators, and basically am looking for anyone who has a similar passion to just chat about stocks, economy and news. (or debating... I mean we are on DDO...)

I mostly do NASDAQ penny stocks, but I guess I know quite a bit about other stocks too..

I would be interesting to talk about really making money, not just general economic theory.
A free market anti-capitalist

If it can be de-centralized, it will be de-centralized.
WAM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 10:26:23 AM
At 12/14/2015 9:55:18 AM, Chang29 wrote:

I would be interesting to talk about really making money, not just general economic theory.

Knowing about theory makes you know how to make money. Besides, I'm talking about analysing stock, if you do that good you can make a whole lot in the process...
ClaesTheilgaard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 9:33:42 AM
Yes, I am! I like following some of my favourite firms here in Denmark and then deciding whether or not to invest in them. For me it is mainly entertainment, but of course, also a way to earn some money along the way.
WAM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 1:59:12 PM
At 12/19/2015 9:33:42 AM, ClaesTheilgaard wrote:
Yes, I am! I like following some of my favourite firms here in Denmark and then deciding whether or not to invest in them. For me it is mainly entertainment, but of course, also a way to earn some money along the way.

Do you chose your 'favourite firms' on a basis if you like their product, or do you look at their charts and economic factors and then decide whether you invest or not?

Also, how do you trade? Long-term investment or short-term?
ClaesTheilgaard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 8:36:32 AM
At 12/21/2015 1:59:12 PM, WAM wrote:
At 12/19/2015 9:33:42 AM, ClaesTheilgaard wrote:

Do you chose your 'favourite firms' on a basis if you like their product, or do you look at their charts and economic factors and then decide whether you invest or not?

Also, how do you trade? Long-term investment or short-term?

Oh yeah, I agree that "favourite firms" was a bit vague. I choose my favourite firms, that is the firms I want to invest in, from partly just my general impression of the firm, and then primarily from how they have performed economically. This means that I read a lot of accounts from the firms and keep a wake eye on the financial news. Of course I also check the charts for the firms multiple times a day, and try to establish some sort of overview from that.

I am however, not the most analytical investor yet. Hopefully that is going to change as I dive more into subjects such as fundamental and technical analysis.

And to whether I invest long-term og short-term; I mainly like long-term investing due to the fact that I am not very fond of way too much risktaking when it comes to stocks.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 5:19:57 PM
You cannot make too much money off the stock market until you have a lot of money to invest. Your return rate would range, but mostly be about 8%, which is the general return rate of investments in 1st world nations.

I would say focus on penny stocks, since they are cheap. Go on some virtual sites and muck around there too.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
ClaesTheilgaard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 5:28:34 PM
At 12/25/2015 5:19:57 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
You cannot make too much money off the stock market until you have a lot of money to invest. Your return rate would range, but mostly be about 8%, which is the general return rate of investments in 1st world nations.

I would say focus on penny stocks, since they are cheap. Go on some virtual sites and muck around there too.

Agree on that.
WAM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2015 4:51:25 PM

At the moment I only do Paper trading, and only 'penny stocks', though not the extremely cheap ones which I will go for in the Australian market soon (hopefully). Otherwise you can't get any solid return, fast.

I normally average around 10% returns per day, if not more, by simply placing intelligent trades and selling at good times. 8% per year somehow seem quite useless, especially how long it would take to grow into something substantial (obviously depending on your initial investment).. I would invest long-term for retirement, however not to 'make money' in the sense that I would be able to use that money any time soon.

If you want 'money', I wouldn't invest in stock long-term unless you have the assets behind you to make an impact. If you have the time (and as a student I do) to do your daily research and spend hours looking at stocks and news, you shouldn't settle for 8% (I assume you mean per annum).

Or what do you guys think?
shiivamkumar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 1:58:17 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Anyone who is interested in joining stock market course should go through the training first .. I would recommend joining http://www.nasirmirza.in... if you are really would like to earn money from the stock market.. otherwise without learning you will loose everything..
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 6:05:23 AM
At 9/9/2016 4:42:15 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
dead thread, I know

but I am beginning to study the stock market, and I'll probably start trading real money in maybe a year or two.

Have you tried the WSJ's stock market trading game? They have a simulation where you can trade money on the US stock market.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 7:23:52 PM
At 9/9/2016 6:05:23 AM, lannan13 wrote:
dead thread, I know

but I am beginning to study the stock market, and I'll probably start trading real money in maybe a year or two.

Have you tried the WSJ's stock market trading game? They have a simulation where you can trade money on the US stock market.

http://www.howthemarketworks.com...

No, I used this one. It might not be the best, but it is soon hosting a stock competition for an organization I was in, so I figured I would get used to that one.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 7:39:09 PM
At 9/9/2016 7:23:52 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
dead thread, I know

No, I used this one. It might not be the best, but it is soon hosting a stock competition for an organization I was in, so I figured I would get used to that one.

It's an interesting thing to study. I've mainly focused on the currency exchange which is something that I find to be the most interesting versus other stocks.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 8:07:46 PM
At 9/9/2016 7:39:09 PM, lannan13 wrote:
dead thread, I know

It's an interesting thing to study. I've mainly focused on the currency exchange which is something that I find to be the most interesting versus other stocks.

I heard currency trading/FOREX was a rip off by some people, but I don't really know much about it. Have you gained a decent sum of money through currency trading?
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 8:19:54 PM
At 9/9/2016 8:07:46 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 9/9/2016 7:39:09 PM, lannan13 wrote:
dead thread, I know

I heard currency trading/FOREX was a rip off by some people, but I don't really know much about it. Have you gained a decent sum of money through currency trading?

I don't do much live trading. Though I'm currently working in a documentary for Currency exchange.

gametheorist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 5:38:11 PM
Can anyone recommend good books on finance and the stock market, specifically fundamental analysis?

I've already read:
The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham
Why Stocks Go Up and Down by William Pike
Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits by Phil Fisher

And I'm currently reading Buffettology by Mary Buffett.

But I'm not sure if all of these books and their content remain applicable in today's stock market. So any other suggestions by anyone who's up-to-speed in the field today would be greatly appreciated.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 6:26:05 PM
At 9/11/2016 5:38:11 PM, gametheorist wrote:
Can anyone recommend good books on finance and the stock market, specifically fundamental analysis?

I've already read:

But I'm not sure if all of these books and their content remain applicable in today's stock market. So any other suggestions by anyone who's up-to-speed in the field today would be greatly appreciated.

Peter Lynch has some good books.

I believe they are called One Up on Wall Street, and Beating the Street.
gametheorist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 6:45:46 PM
At 9/11/2016 6:26:05 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

I've already read:

Thanks, I've heard of him. I'll take a look and see if my local library has anything by him.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 9:39:46 PM
At 9/12/2016 6:45:46 PM, gametheorist wrote:
At 9/11/2016 6:26:05 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

I've already read:

Thanks, I've heard of him. I'll take a look and see if my local library has anything by him.

Cool,

Another book I thought was really good is called The Most Important Thing by Howard Marks.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 3:56:46 PM

I'm an index investor.

Do you play with real money or just do simulations? How do your portfolios compare to the Total Stock Index or the SP500?
WAM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 2:13:48 PM
At 9/18/2016 3:56:46 PM, Raisor wrote:

I'm an index investor.

Do you play with real money or just do simulations? How do your portfolios compare to the Total Stock Index or the SP500?

At the moment just simulation, I don't have time nor the funds for real money. Currently I'm mainly doing stuff on the Australian market, I study in Australia so it's a lot more relevant than US and i'm mostly doing Bluechip, because my finance studies don't really do anything with small or microcap.

When I actually do make a portfolio, i generally try to make it more long term and generally have a positive alpha, so I make more than the index. But that's if I make one. Normally I'm too busy too at the moment, so I can't look at it 24/7, so sometimes I do go wrong.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 12:04:24 PM
At 9/20/2016 2:13:48 PM, WAM wrote:

I'm an index investor.

At the moment just simulation, I don't have time nor the funds for real money. Currently I'm mainly doing stuff on the Australian market, I study in Australia so it's a lot more relevant than US and i'm mostly doing Bluechip, because my finance studies don't really do anything with small or microcap.

When I actually do make a portfolio, i generally try to make it more long term and generally have a positive alpha, so I make more than the index. But that's if I make one. Normally I'm too busy too at the moment, so I can't look at it 24/7, so sometimes I do go wrong.

Do you include trading fees in calculating alpha? If you are actually trading asset classes comparable to the sp500 (which it sounds like you are since you are large cap) and have a portfolio with a positive alpha over the course of several years, that is very impressive.
WAM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 2:25:50 PM
At 9/21/2016 12:04:24 PM, Raisor wrote:

I'm an index investor.

Do you include trading fees in calculating alpha? If you are actually trading asset classes comparable to the sp500 (which it sounds like you are since you are large cap) and have a portfolio with a positive alpha over the course of several years, that is very impressive.

Overall most of my portfolios that I have simulated have had a positive alpha, but I'm mainly just screwing around with different types of diversification and assets. But I wouldn't say that I have had any portfolios with positive alphas over several years, I mainly do stuff for a few weeks or months and see how I go.

I generally deduct fees for trades when I calculate returns, but I don't have the time to make a huge amount of trades so generally there are not many fees.

I generally look at beta of shares, as I still kind of like riskier smallcap stocks, but I have no real life trading experience with them.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 3:30:22 PM
At 9/21/2016 2:25:50 PM, WAM wrote:

I'm an index investor.

Overall most of my portfolios that I have simulated have had a positive alpha, but I'm mainly just screwing around with different types of diversification and assets. But I wouldn't say that I have had any portfolios with positive alphas over several years, I mainly do stuff for a few weeks or months and see how I go.

I generally deduct fees for trades when I calculate returns, but I don't have the time to make a huge amount of trades so generally there are not many fees.

I generally look at beta of shares, as I still kind of like riskier smallcap stocks, but I have no real life trading experience with them.

When you get out of school and start investing real money, I would suggest putting 90% of your portfolio in an index and using 10% as "play money" to test out self built portfolios. It is real easy to lose money or underperform once transaction costs come in (I have a feeling you are underestimating costs since your timescale is so small- investing is a long term endeavor) and the time horizon extends. Seriously, the "risk" you take on in investing is real, you can lose money even when you think you are being smart.

That being said I'd be curious to see your best performing portfolios haha
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 3:34:55 PM

This is terrible advice. If you are trying to find investments that are attractive because they are "cheap" you should not be investing.

You can make a sh*t ton of money with 8% nominal returns. Investing is a long term game, at 8% your money doubles every ten years. That means if you put in 10k at age 20 you would have 20k at age 30- you just made 1k a year for doing nothing.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2016 1:47:38 AM
At 9/21/2016 3:34:55 PM, Raisor wrote:

This is terrible advice. If you are trying to find investments that are attractive because they are "cheap" you should not be investing.

I'm saying to make A LOT of money fast, you need A LOT of money to invest. I'm not talking about getting 1k each year over a couple of years. I'm talking about millions of dollars.

You can make a sh*t ton of money with 8% nominal returns. Investing is a long term game, at 8% your money doubles every ten years. That means if you put in 10k at age 20 you would have 20k at age 30- you just made 1k a year for doing nothing.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2016 3:00:04 AM
At 9/22/2016 1:47:38 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 9/21/2016 3:34:55 PM, Raisor wrote:

I'm saying to make A LOT of money fast, you need A LOT of money to invest. I'm not talking about getting 1k each year over a couple of years. I'm talking about millions of dollars.

Yeah, then you aren't talking about investing in the stock market. You aren't talking about anything.

There is no investment that will turn 10k into a million dollars in a couple of years, definitely not penny stocks lmao

Maybe maybe maybe you could do that if you invest in a start up or start your own company, but even then almost certainly now.

You can make a sh*t ton of money investing in stocks and bonds, but it takes time and patience, like most things in life.
WAM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 4:57:45 AM
At 9/21/2016 3:30:22 PM, Raisor wrote:

I'm an index investor.

When you get out of school and start investing real money, I would suggest putting 90% of your portfolio in an index and using 10% as "play money" to test out self built portfolios. It is real easy to lose money or underperform once transaction costs come in (I have a feeling you are underestimating costs since your timescale is so small- investing is a long term endeavor) and the time horizon extends. Seriously, the "risk" you take on in investing is real, you can lose money even when you think you are being smart.

I calculate return after every trade. With transaction costs. The site I would use to invest has low transaction costs (compared to other Australian ones), and I also wouldn't make a huge amount of transactions.

Also, I'm planning on going into Investment Finance or private equity after University in any case, so transaction costs would not be much of an issue.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 3:49:37 PM
At 9/23/2016 4:57:45 AM, WAM wrote:
At 9/21/2016 3:30:22 PM, Raisor wrote:

I'm an index investor.

I calculate return after every trade. With transaction costs. The site I would use to invest has low transaction costs (compared to other Australian ones), and I also wouldn't make a huge amount of transactions.

Also, I'm planning on going into Investment Finance or private equity after University in any case, so transaction costs would not be much of an issue.

That's great, maybe you are one of the exceptional few that is able to beat the market.

My point about long term performance and costs is this: if you can beat the market on dummy portfolios over short periods of time, it is not the same as managing a portfolio that has continuous performance over a long period of time. Setting a test portfolio and running it for 6 months is different than managing a portfolio over a decade and rebalancing every 6 months. You aren't capturing the behavioral factors involved in trading, you aren't capturing the periodic costs of rebalancing, you aren't capturing the effect of short term swings averaged over long periods of time, sequence of returns impacts, taxes, etc.

I'm not saying you or anyone in general can't beat the market, just that it is very hard. Also I offering unsolicited advice not to try until you have proven to yourself you can by rigorously testing long term strategies an apples to apples ways.

Seriously though will you post your best performing portfolios and/or any spreadsheets you use for analysis? I'd be curious to see what it looks like.