Total Posts:34|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Fox Business GOP Debate Thoughts

ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 8:09:41 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
I haven't watched last night's GOP debate. But I found a link, and it piqued my interest.

So, I'm going to watch it now and post my comments below. The reason this is in the economics forum is because I'm very likely to fast-forward through non-economic answers: all of these dipsh1ts are clueless of foreign policy, anyway, and God help us if they have their way on social policy (hint: they won't).

More to come.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 8:26:31 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
What an unbelievable dodge, Cruz.

Ironically, if you're going to talk about income distribution and use that as a counter to the *durability* of the U.S. economy and the immense bounce-back from the financial crisis that Obama touted during his SOTU address--almost none of which was his doing, btw, in which case you might want to follow Paul Ryan's example and credit the Fed, that is, if you didn't already advocate for a gold standard--you should demonstrate how your flat tax and the rigorous austerity you want to implement would actually lean against that.

In other words, what's the moving part?

Hint: there isn't. The income distribution--and he's lying about median wages and has no idea what he's talking about when he brings up the labor force participation rate, the decline of which is largely due to demographics and hysteresis--is in no way, shape or form a challenge to durability of the economy vis-a-vis the rest of the world, which is presently disintegrating and the reason the dollar has been on such an upward trajectory.

I think the teabaggers really need a uniform answer to this question:

Either:

"Yes, the economy has improved, but in SPITE of Obama. Here's what we've done....."

Of course, they haven't done much, other than vote to repeal ObamaCare 65 times and break the filibuster record.

Or:

"Yes, but it would've improved faster had Obama not done that stimulus!"

Which is bullsh1t, and I bet the words "deleveraging" or "headwinds" are foreign to Cruz and friends, but at least this might gain traction to know-nothing GOP voters.

Or, my favorite:

"Yes, but Obama can be hardly credited. Tax cuts for the affluent, a water-down stimulus, and vicious austerity that has only recently reversed course was hardly conducive to recovering the massive demand shock of the financial crisis. Where it not for the Fed and the very small stimulus we did provide, according to research by Blinder and Zandi, the unemployment rate would be about 16 percent today. The Fed is the real champion in this equation."

Of course, you can do this if you actually were in the Fed's corner back in 2010 when so-called serious people were clamoring about "hyperinflation." Cruz doesn't have this trump card.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 8:30:10 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Really, Neil?

"What would you do if bank or financial stocks tank?"

Why are they tanking, Neil? Could it be that we're at the start of a tightening cycle, and any discounted cash-flow model will tell you that stock prices will adjust downward. There was volatility around one expected hike in December, and the Fed is projecting something like four.

Some of it might be headwinds from China, but my sense is that most is a correction.

Kasich's answer: Tax cuts, tax cuts, tax cuts, austerity.

Hush.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 8:31:21 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
A question on foreign policy, which was wildly deceptive and misleading.

And people think Fox isn't an arm of the GOP. Ha!

Fast-forwarding through this sh1t.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 8:33:07 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Really, Jeb? You're b1tching about DODD-FRANK?

The ignorance is searing. I'd take Bernie's know-nothing criticisms of the legislation--that it doesn't go far enough (which in some sense is true, but not for the reasons he thinks)--over yours.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 8:34:40 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
We GUT our military?

lololololololol.

We spend more than the next 14 countries combined, Marco.

Jesus, how can you b1tch about fiscal discipline on one end, and a lackluster military on the other?

And then he touts torture. Nice.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 8:35:52 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
"Obama doesn't realize that war is a lot different now than it was before." - Ben

Really? Did you not even fcking watch his "horses and bayonets" retort to Mittens?

Moron.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 8:49:51 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Okay, this bores me.

We'll see if any comments will follow. Perhaps not.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 9:36:32 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/15/2016 8:09:41 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

This has absolutely nothing to do with the OP except that #Cruz2016.

Anyways, check my sig. Your spamming instructions indeed helped me become a hardcore winner.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 10:04:57 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/15/2016 9:36:32 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 1/15/2016 8:09:41 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

This has absolutely nothing to do with the OP except that #Cruz2016.

Ewwww.

Anyways, check my sig. Your spamming instructions indeed helped me become a hardcore winner.

Lmfao, nice.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 11:00:57 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/15/2016 10:04:57 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 1/15/2016 9:36:32 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 1/15/2016 8:09:41 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

This has absolutely nothing to do with the OP except that #Cruz2016.

Ewwww.

Sick jokes.

Anyways, check my sig. Your spamming instructions indeed helped me become a hardcore winner.

*censored*, nice.

Ty! :D
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 11:06:26 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/15/2016 11:00:57 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 1/15/2016 10:04:57 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 1/15/2016 9:36:32 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 1/15/2016 8:09:41 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

This has absolutely nothing to do with the OP except that #Cruz2016.

Ewwww.

Sick jokes.

This.

Anyways, check my sig. Your spamming instructions indeed helped me become a hardcore winner.

*censored*, nice.

Ty! :D
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 11:12:08 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/15/2016 11:06:26 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 1/15/2016 11:00:57 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 1/15/2016 10:04:57 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 1/15/2016 9:36:32 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 1/15/2016 8:09:41 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

This has absolutely nothing to do with the OP except that #Cruz2016.

Ewwww.

Sick jokes.

This.

It's a joke because IDK who I support at this point xD
Too many candidates that I like certain qualities and dislike others.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 11:16:30 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/15/2016 11:12:08 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 1/15/2016 11:06:26 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 1/15/2016 11:00:57 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 1/15/2016 10:04:57 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 1/15/2016 9:36:32 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 1/15/2016 8:09:41 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

This has absolutely nothing to do with the OP except that #Cruz2016.

Ewwww.

Sick jokes.

This.

It's a joke because IDK who I support at this point xD
Too many candidates that I like certain qualities and dislike others.

Ah.

I made a decision after realizing that all of them sucked, and the status quo is likely preferable.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 11:18:12 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/15/2016 11:16:30 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 1/15/2016 11:12:08 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 1/15/2016 11:06:26 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 1/15/2016 11:00:57 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 1/15/2016 10:04:57 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 1/15/2016 9:36:32 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 1/15/2016 8:09:41 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

This has absolutely nothing to do with the OP except that #Cruz2016.

Ewwww.

Sick jokes.

This.

It's a joke because IDK who I support at this point xD
Too many candidates that I like certain qualities and dislike others.

Ah.

I made a decision after realizing that all of them sucked, and the status quo is likely preferable.

Lol... Sketchy socialist. ;P jk
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 11:20:05 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/15/2016 11:18:12 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 1/15/2016 11:16:30 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 1/15/2016 11:12:08 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 1/15/2016 11:06:26 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 1/15/2016 11:00:57 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 1/15/2016 10:04:57 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 1/15/2016 9:36:32 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 1/15/2016 8:09:41 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

This has absolutely nothing to do with the OP except that #Cruz2016.

Ewwww.

Sick jokes.

This.

It's a joke because IDK who I support at this point xD
Too many candidates that I like certain qualities and dislike others.

Ah.

I made a decision after realizing that all of them sucked, and the status quo is likely preferable.

Lol... Sketchy socialist. ;P jk

Something like that.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 11:21:22 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/15/2016 11:20:05 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
Something like that.

Lol.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
tajshar2k
Posts: 2,384
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 11:30:12 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/15/2016 8:09:41 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
I haven't watched last night's GOP debate. But I found a link, and it piqued my interest.

So, I'm going to watch it now and post my comments below. The reason this is in the economics forum is because I'm very likely to fast-forward through non-economic answers: all of these dipsh1ts are clueless of foreign policy, anyway, and God help us if they have their way on social policy (hint: they won't).

More to come.

Ted Cruz won in my opinion.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 11:31:52 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/15/2016 11:30:12 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 1/15/2016 8:09:41 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
I haven't watched last night's GOP debate. But I found a link, and it piqued my interest.

So, I'm going to watch it now and post my comments below. The reason this is in the economics forum is because I'm very likely to fast-forward through non-economic answers: all of these dipsh1ts are clueless of foreign policy, anyway, and God help us if they have their way on social policy (hint: they won't).

More to come.

Ted Cruz won in my opinion.

He's a very eloquent speaker for sure, and he definitely beat the absolute sh1t out of Rubio on the VAT exchange--Rubio's rebuttal was embarrassing.

But I haven't seen enough of the debate to determine whether he "won"--and I'm probably not the most objective person to make that determination, lol.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2016 2:37:22 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/15/2016 8:34:40 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
We GUT our military?

lololololololol.

We spend more than the next 14 countries combined, Marco.


That stat is super misleading, lol.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2016 2:37:40 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/18/2016 2:37:22 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 1/15/2016 8:34:40 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
We GUT our military?

lololololololol.

We spend more than the next 14 countries combined, Marco.


That stat is super misleading, lol.

How so?
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2016 2:38:03 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/15/2016 11:31:52 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 1/15/2016 11:30:12 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 1/15/2016 8:09:41 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
I haven't watched last night's GOP debate. But I found a link, and it piqued my interest.

So, I'm going to watch it now and post my comments below. The reason this is in the economics forum is because I'm very likely to fast-forward through non-economic answers: all of these dipsh1ts are clueless of foreign policy, anyway, and God help us if they have their way on social policy (hint: they won't).

More to come.

Ted Cruz won in my opinion.

He's a very eloquent speaker for sure, and he definitely beat the absolute sh1t out of Rubio on the VAT exchange--Rubio's rebuttal was embarrassing.

Nah, Rubio was actually correct on that. Laffur, who Cruz was being a fanboy of, called it a VAT.


But I haven't seen enough of the debate to determine whether he "won"--and I'm probably not the most objective person to make that determination, lol.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2016 2:42:29 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/18/2016 2:37:40 AM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 1/18/2016 2:37:22 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 1/15/2016 8:34:40 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
We GUT our military?

lololololololol.

We spend more than the next 14 countries combined, Marco.


That stat is super misleading, lol.

How so?

Well...

It would make more sense to look at it as a percentage of GDP, as wealthier countries can afford to spend more on their military. If you look at it like that, we rank fourth with Saudi Arabia coming in first place.

Plus, no other country in the world needs such a strong military. Europe is full of socialist noobs so they don't really have militaries, so they pretty much rely on our presence in their countries to defend them. And Europe gives me so much cancer on this because they are anti American intervention but rage at us when we don't, lol.

It doesn't really make sense to compare one country's military spending to another. Each country should focus on itself and its own strategic needs. Now we can debate about that all you want, I know you are a dove and I am a jingoistic hawk. So you may favor cutting that spending, sure, while I don't (and our navy has become outdated as sh!t). It just depends on what your strategic goals are, and from Rubio's perspective, we are gutting our military in respect to what he feels our strategic goals need. I tend to agree with him, because we should give the world freedom by force :P
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2016 2:44:02 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/18/2016 2:42:29 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 1/18/2016 2:37:40 AM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 1/18/2016 2:37:22 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 1/15/2016 8:34:40 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
We GUT our military?

lololololololol.

We spend more than the next 14 countries combined, Marco.


That stat is super misleading, lol.

How so?

Well...

It would make more sense to look at it as a percentage of GDP, as wealthier countries can afford to spend more on their military. If you look at it like that, we rank fourth with Saudi Arabia coming in first place.

Plus, no other country in the world needs such a strong military. Europe is full of socialist noobs so they don't really have militaries, so they pretty much rely on our presence in their countries to defend them. And Europe gives me so much cancer on this because they are anti American intervention but rage at us when we don't, lol.

It doesn't really make sense to compare one country's military spending to another. Each country should focus on itself and its own strategic needs. Now we can debate about that all you want, I know you are a dove and I am a jingoistic hawk. So you may favor cutting that spending, sure, while I don't (and our navy has become outdated as sh!t). It just depends on what your strategic goals are, and from Rubio's perspective, we are gutting our military in respect to what he feels our strategic goals need. I tend to agree with him, because we should give the world freedom by force :P

Actually, this is an econ thread, so let's not debate that XD

But yeah I don't really think that stat means anything. But there is still an argument to be made when it comes to how much we should spend, and I know you're a Bernie lover on this one
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2016 2:48:23 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/18/2016 2:38:03 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 1/15/2016 11:31:52 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 1/15/2016 11:30:12 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 1/15/2016 8:09:41 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
I haven't watched last night's GOP debate. But I found a link, and it piqued my interest.

So, I'm going to watch it now and post my comments below. The reason this is in the economics forum is because I'm very likely to fast-forward through non-economic answers: all of these dipsh1ts are clueless of foreign policy, anyway, and God help us if they have their way on social policy (hint: they won't).

More to come.

Ted Cruz won in my opinion.

He's a very eloquent speaker for sure, and he definitely beat the absolute sh1t out of Rubio on the VAT exchange--Rubio's rebuttal was embarrassing.

Nah, Rubio was actually correct on that. Laffur, who Cruz was being a fanboy of, called it a VAT.

It's a flat tax--a VAT is effectively a sales tax on every single step in the production process. Cruz has a single tax rate that all businesses would pay. Laffur is mistaken.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2016 2:54:37 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/18/2016 2:42:29 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 1/18/2016 2:37:40 AM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 1/18/2016 2:37:22 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 1/15/2016 8:34:40 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
We GUT our military?

lololololololol.

We spend more than the next 14 countries combined, Marco.


That stat is super misleading, lol.

How so?

Well...

It would make more sense to look at it as a percentage of GDP, as wealthier countries can afford to spend more on their military. If you look at it like that, we rank fourth with Saudi Arabia coming in first place.

I don't really agree with that metric, especially since in many cases we're the ones selling other countries weapons, in which case the total dollar amount of weaponry is perhaps the best metric. All that really means is that our economy is a lot larger, which it is, and thus we could realistically pay for more if we cared enough--but we don't have to.

Like, if we have 5 tanks to X country's one tank, it doesn't matter if that one tank cost 99% of its GDP whereas a single tank cost 5% of ours (extreme example, but you get the point). We're going to win because we have five times the freaking firepower, lol.

Plus, no other country in the world needs such a strong military. Europe is full of socialist noobs so they don't really have militaries, so they pretty much rely on our presence in their countries to defend them. And Europe gives me so much cancer on this because they are anti American intervention but rage at us when we don't, lol.

I agree: we pay for their national defense so that they don't have to. It's stupid, and we shouldn't do it.

It doesn't really make sense to compare one country's military spending to another. Each country should focus on itself and its own strategic needs.

Sure, needs should be evaluated relative to priorities: the problem, though, is that as you note below, our priorities are wildly fcked up, lol. There's a fundamental difference between defending ourselves and our allies versus policing the world--and we do far too much of the latter.

Now we can debate about that all you want, I know you are a dove and I am a jingoistic hawk.

Above.

So you may favor cutting that spending, sure, while I don't (and our navy has become outdated as sh!t).

Eh, I'm not really for "cutting" anything at the moment, though I wouldn't mind changing the composition of government spending toward more productive ends than more useless military equipment we don't need.

As for the navy, Obama had a great line on this in his debate with Mittens: "We also have fewer horses and bayonets."

It just depends on what your strategic goals are, and from Rubio's perspective, we are gutting our military in respect to what he feels our strategic goals need. I tend to agree with him, because we should give the world freedom by force :P

I just don't buy it.

These are the people who scream that the deficit is the single most pressing issue there is--even though it's their fault--and b1tch about baseline budgeting, whereby cutting a rate of increase isn't a sufficient "cut," in which case sequestration was evidently nothing (which isn't exactly true, because sequestration exempted a bunch of stuff).

Yet, when it comes to military spending, very minor baseline budgeting is "gutting" our military. It's hogwash.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2016 2:55:17 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/18/2016 2:44:02 AM, 16kadams wrote:
Actually, this is an econ thread, so let's not debate that XD

Eh, already responded to it, lol.

But yeah I don't really think that stat means anything. But there is still an argument to be made when it comes to how much we should spend, and I know you're a Bernie lover on this one

Naw, I'm to the right of Bernie. I'm much more hawkish on ISIS than he is.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah