Jump to topic:

Is Q1 GDP "peddling fiction?"

walker_harris3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 12:28:43 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
Obama seemed very positive that the economy was in great condition a couple months ago and said anyone saying otherwise was "peddling fiction." So then why isn't the Fed raising rates? They said that their rate hike strategy was entirely numbers based and they have the numbers they want-2% inflation and an under-5% unemployment rate. If the economy is so good, why was Q1 GDP .5%?

Seems to me like Obama is the one peddling the fiction
Chang29
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 1:17:01 AM
At 4/29/2016 12:28:43 AM, walker_harris3 wrote:
Obama seemed very positive that the economy was in great condition a couple months ago and said anyone saying otherwise was "peddling fiction." So then why isn't the Fed raising rates? They said that their rate hike strategy was entirely numbers based and they have the numbers they want-2% inflation and an under-5% unemployment rate. If the economy is so good, why was Q1 GDP .5%?

I have the same question. This winter was warm compared to the last two so transitory factors can not be blamed. Year after year of low to no growth government is running out of excuses.

It appears slow economic growth is a new normal.
A free market anti-capitalist

If it can be de-centralized, it will be de-centralized.
walker_harris3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 1:24:44 AM
At 4/29/2016 1:17:01 AM, Chang29 wrote:

I have the same question. This winter was warm compared to the last two so transitory factors can not be blamed. Year after year of low to no growth government is running out of excuses.

Yea that's true we did have one of the warmest winters on record. I'm going to be interested to see what's going to be happening around election time. If the economy turns bad, or shows signs that it will turn bad, Hillary could ironically lose the election the very same way that McCain did in 08
Chang29
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 12:20:53 PM
At 4/29/2016 1:24:44 AM, walker_harris3 wrote:
At 4/29/2016 1:17:01 AM, Chang29 wrote:

Yea that's true we did have one of the warmest winters on record. I'm going to be interested to see what's going to be happening around election time. If the economy turns bad, or shows signs that it will turn bad, Hillary could ironically lose the election the very same way that McCain did in 08

The last thing the Fed wants is to become an election issue. Yellen and the FOMC will use every policy tool, from QE to negative rates to helicopter money, to keep the wheels on the economy until the election.

Plus, the stats will not show a recession until several quarter until it, just as the last one.
A free market anti-capitalist

If it can be de-centralized, it will be de-centralized.
R301115
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2016 10:53:05 PM
Puzzling properties of the historical GDP/cap distributions used in the Unified Growth Theory are now explained. They do not represent special properties of economic growth but the general mathematical properties of dividing hyperbolic distributions.

https://arxiv.org...