Jump to topic:

Paying developing nations to not drill

SeanParkey
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2016 7:52:58 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
'Developed nations should pay developing nations to not extract their fossil fuel resources' is our topic, and after hours we're really coming up short. Any help would be appreciate :((
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2016 1:24:23 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/4/2016 7:52:58 AM, SeanParkey wrote:
'Developed nations should pay developing nations to not extract their fossil fuel resources' is our topic, and after hours we're really coming up short. Any help would be appreciate :((

They shouldn't. It's as simple as that. In paying other countries *not* to drill, they effectively equalize any benefit that would be gained by not drilling in the first place. Also, the harms are overhyped in the first place, so there's no big concern to drilling. From a strictly economic standpoint, it would be an egregious failure to pay other nations to *not* use the most effective, powerful, and cheap form of energy to date. For more on that, I recommend this article: [http://www.wsj.com...] It acutely articulates the flaws in the "we're dooming the world" arguments, and exemplifies why drilling is necessary even with the rise of renewable energy options. In short, the answer to your question is that the presumption made by the topic is wrong, so it would be in your best interest *not* to support it.

If you *have* to support it, I would run the argument (albeit flawed) that drilling poses a threat to all of humanity, and should thus be considered utilitarian to move away away from, by whatever means necessary (e.g. you could say paying is justified because it benefits a greater pool of people than those who will have to pay for it).
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW