Jump to topic:

Trump's Economic Plan

ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 7:54:18 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
I think it's important to analyze Trump's views on the economy and his plan for long-term as he is the presumptive GOP nominee. Let's talk about this stuff. It's going to become important. I know there are some very economically literate people around here (looking at you, Joey) and I would like your input.

[http://www.cnn.com...]

A few questions about the link above, and Trump's economic plan in general:

1. What do you think of his tax plan? He wants to lower taxes drastically and encourage US business for companies, not overseas. Thoughts?

2. He proposed the minimum wage stays where it is. Of course, this is very drastic when compared with the two remaining candidates Clinton and Sanders. Relative to their proposals on the minimum wage, which is better, and why?

Thoughts? I encourage all input.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
walker_harris3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 8:40:32 PM
At 5/5/2016 7:54:18 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
I think it's important to analyze Trump's views on the economy and his plan for long-term as he is the presumptive GOP nominee. Let's talk about this stuff. It's going to become important. I know there are some very economically literate people around here (looking at you, Joey) and I would like your input.

1. What do you think of his tax plan? He wants to lower taxes drastically and encourage US business for companies, not overseas. Thoughts?

2. He proposed the minimum wage stays where it is. Of course, this is very drastic when compared with the two remaining candidates Clinton and Sanders. Relative to their proposals on the minimum wage, which is better, and why?

I see a lot of Calvin Coolidge & Andrew Mellon in Trump's economic outlook, which is good as Coolidge remains the best President in terms of economics in US history.
http://www.cato.org... In those graphics you'll notice that decreasing taxes actually more than doubled tax revenues during Cal's presidency, and doubled the tax share of the top bracket.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 8:48:40 PM
At 5/5/2016 8:40:32 PM, walker_harris3 wrote:

I see a lot of Calvin Coolidge & Andrew Mellon in Trump's economic outlook, which is good as Coolidge remains the best President in terms of economics in US history.
http://www.cato.org... In those graphics you'll notice that decreasing taxes actually more than doubled tax revenues during Cal's presidency, and doubled the tax share of the top bracket.

Sure, I agree. Lowering taxes is generally a boon for the economy.
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2016 4:15:50 AM
At 5/15/2016 1:57:33 AM, 124275 wrote:
Trump has a plan?

Lol. It appears he does. I think that's the issue with most of the #NeverTrump movement, or those who generally dislike him. They think he's just a joke... sure, he might be overly facetious, but he definitely has a plan.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2016 11:19:17 PM
Posted: 6 months ago

Good to lower corporate tax rate, but also he needs to give idea on what he will do to lower the amount of corporate inversions. A lower tax rate should help but we are uncompetitive in other ways such as asking our businesses to shoulder the burden of health care for the majority of Americans.

I thought he was open to raising, but not as high as Democrats.

He also needs to firm up his thoughts on global trade and how he plans to address. Going overboard can create trade wars and approved tariffs against (WTO rulings against the US) and severely hinder global trade, which in turn can cause significant inflation or mess with the value of the dollar.

Lastly, he has not yet explained how increased gov spending plus tax cuts are going to reduce the deficit rather than reduce it. Quite honestly his ideas on reducing the debt have the potential to ruin us economically.

It is clear he is very much over promising what he can actually deliver.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 4:24:45 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/15/2016 11:19:17 PM, slo1 wrote:

Good to lower corporate tax rate, but also he needs to give idea on what he will do to lower the amount of corporate inversions. A lower tax rate should help but we are uncompetitive in other ways such as asking our businesses to shoulder the burden of health care for the majority of Americans.

I don't know that many other candidates were (or are) well-versed in their view on this, either. But, you're right. It'd be nice to lower corporate taxes.

I thought he was open to raising, but not as high as Democrats.

Nope. He wants it to stay where it is. I'm not surprised. He's well-versed as a businessman and understand raising it (especially to the new Democratic floor) is a terrible idea.

He also needs to firm up his thoughts on global trade and how he plans to address. Going overboard can create trade wars and approved tariffs against (WTO rulings against the US) and severely hinder global trade, which in turn can cause significant inflation or mess with the value of the dollar.

Definitely true. He's admittedly below average (insofar as normative candidates go) on foreign policy and global trade. He says he wants to "prioritize the US" but gives no reference as to what that entails.

Lastly, he has not yet explained how increased gov spending plus tax cuts are going to reduce the deficit rather than reduce it. Quite honestly his ideas on reducing the debt have the potential to ruin us economically.

He explained that some in the article's video I linked...

It is clear he is very much over promising what he can actually deliver.

Hence, he is just like all other candidates. ;)