Jump to topic:

Question regarding charities

Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 7:28:17 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
Do charities really use donated money to help support good causes such as helping the homeless, funding cancer research, helping poor pets find a home, fixing damaged buildings, etc?

I'm always a little suspicious when I watch charity ads because I don't know whether these charities actually use all these donations to help support good causes or if these charities use the donated money for their own personal gain.
BillSPrestonEsq
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 11:04:10 PM
At 6/21/2016 7:28:17 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
Do charities really use donated money to help support good causes such as helping the homeless, funding cancer research, helping poor pets find a home, fixing damaged buildings, etc?

I'm always a little suspicious when I watch charity ads because I don't know whether these charities actually use all these donations to help support good causes or if these charities use the donated money for their own personal gain.

charitynavigator.org
Rukado
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 11:12:24 PM
Charities have to file a sort of tax return, so you can check with the IRS to see how the charity claims to spend the money, which is just their word.

Typically, the largest portion of what you donate is rolled back into fund raising expenses. The next largest portion goes to paying the executives, employees, and operating expenses of the charity. The third largest portion goes into what really are investments to help future revenue, such as giving grants to start new chapters of the charity. And, then what's left over goes to the person you wanted to help when you donated money -- which is not very much.

Most charities exist to make money for the people who run them. And, people who give them money are suckers.

If you want to be charitable, give money direct to causes you want to help, not to charities that raise money for them.