Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

The sophistry of feminist economics

ArtPowell
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 10:00:33 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
My experience of women is that a lot of them naturally use the techniques of sophistry in their arguments with men. A recent column on feminist economics in The Economist is a good example of this applied to economics. The column mentions the number of women teaching economics, the pay gap and mostly the unpaid work done by women.

The first thing to say in a criticism of feminism is that if your can make a person feel guilty then it is a lot easier to control them.""On this count the feminists have been very successful.""Us guys are supposed to feel guilty about our personalities, our relationships and our sexuality. Some feminists would have us believe that everything we do is to put down and control women.""Some feminists have DBS degrees. (The D stands for doctor.)""If you repeat an untruth often enough some people will come to believe it.

Most of the complaints relate to injustice of which there is a lot in this world.""The truth is that men inflict injustice upon both women and other men and women inflict injustice upon both men and other women.""We would be a lot better off fighting injustice wherever it is rather than having a competition to see who has experience the worst injustice.""The sophistry comes from focusing on a very narrow injustice and ignoring the rest.""We will not be able to deal with injustice or violence against women unless we also deal with injustice and violence against men

The column points out In 2014 only 12% of American economics professors were female, and only one woman (Elinor Ostrom) has won the Nobel prize for economics. This could be because male economists discourage women from studying the field or it could be because women are generally smarter than men and stay away from a field which is based largely on misconceptions and false motivators.""Maybe women are more reluctant to sell their souls to the almighty dollar.

The same may also be true for the pay gap.""A lot of women do not want the stress that goes with higher paying jobs.""It is a lot less stressful to encourage men to take these jobs and a lot of women put their partners under pressure.""Probably rates of pay are more a function of supply and demand for workers rather than a conspiracy of men to keep women from equal pay.

The issue of unpaid work is another case of a very narrow focus in order to promote the false premise that women are cheated because they do not get paid for the housework and child rearing that they do.""We are now talking about relationships and the fundamental of good relationships is that there must be a more or less equal two-way exchange. I believe this even though I have been accused of being selfish for saying it.""In a lot of traditional economic and marriage partnerships all or most labor was unpaid. In our industrial society some work is paid and some is unpaid. As technology has reduced the household work of the partnership and as standards of living have tightened, more women are working outside the house for pay.

Sometimes historical marriage relationships have involved a division of labour and in some cases the division of labour has been essential for survival.""This may be less so now and the division of labour should be for each couple to work out without the interference of feminists.""The important thing is that for the relationship to be satisfactory""the exchange needs to be more or less equal.""These days couples are not so dependent for survival on a relationship with a member of the opposite sex and any woman (or man) who feels cheated can easily break up.""With house work some women do it to themselves in that they decide what work should be done and how often.""It may be that asking men to help is really an attempt to power trip.

One of my concerns about feminism is that it does not encourage good relationships.""How can you hope for a good relationship when one partner is using sophistry to""make the other feel guilty so you can control him?

One of the greatest injustices against women in our society is that so many end up as lonely old ladies. It may be""this would be eased if women were to focus on building good relationships.""Statistically people in good relationships live longer than others.

The author of this post has written an Ebook Funny Money: Adapting to a down economy. Information is on the weblog:https://economics102.wordpress.com...
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2016 1:01:52 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
Lol "feminist economics". I bet you it's probably worse than Marxian economics.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,291
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2016 4:32:45 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 7/22/2016 1:01:52 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Lol "feminist economics". I bet you it's probably worse than Marxian economics.

Lol. I think it's hilarious when people try to extrapolate "economics" into areas where the case is settled...

And honestly, how can people believe "equality" in the workplace is good for business? Why would I hire someone who will do a poorer job? It doesn't matter what their gender is. If the guy is better, I'll hire him. If the gal is better, I'll hire her. I guess their welfare doesn't give them a big enough safe space.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ThePostMarxist
Posts: 64
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 5:38:54 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 7/22/2016 1:01:52 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Lol "feminist economics". I bet you it's probably worse than Marxian economics.

Yes, it's terrible to be against wage slavery and involuntary "voluntary" hierarchies that are a result of economic pressure
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 7:39:24 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/10/2016 5:38:54 PM, ThePostMarxist wrote:
At 7/22/2016 1:01:52 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Lol "feminist economics". I bet you it's probably worse than Marxian economics.

Yes, it's terrible to be against wage slavery and involuntary "voluntary" hierarchies that are a result of economic pressure

I can already tell that you are ignorant of economics just by looking at your name.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
ThePostMarxist
Posts: 64
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 7:44:29 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/10/2016 7:39:24 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 9/10/2016 5:38:54 PM, ThePostMarxist wrote:
At 7/22/2016 1:01:52 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Lol "feminist economics". I bet you it's probably worse than Marxian economics.

Yes, it's terrible to be against wage slavery and involuntary "voluntary" hierarchies that are a result of economic pressure

I can already tell that you are ignorant of economics just by looking at your name.

How? Marxism is a theory of social analytics
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 7:45:56 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/10/2016 7:44:29 PM, ThePostMarxist wrote:
At 9/10/2016 7:39:24 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 9/10/2016 5:38:54 PM, ThePostMarxist wrote:
At 7/22/2016 1:01:52 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Lol "feminist economics". I bet you it's probably worse than Marxian economics.

Yes, it's terrible to be against wage slavery and involuntary "voluntary" hierarchies that are a result of economic pressure

I can already tell that you are ignorant of economics just by looking at your name.

How? Marxism is a theory of social analytics

Precisely.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 7:53:39 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/10/2016 5:38:54 PM, ThePostMarxist wrote:
At 7/22/2016 1:01:52 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Lol "feminist economics". I bet you it's probably worse than Marxian economics.

Yes, it's terrible to be against wage slavery and involuntary "voluntary" hierarchies that are a result of economic pressure

What do you mean by wage slavery, and can you explain what you mean by these hierarchies, and why they are somehow bad?
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Capital
Posts: 588
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 7:59:28 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 7/22/2016 1:01:52 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Lol "feminist economics". I bet you it's probably worse than Marxian economics.

What is it?
Im not a Nazi
Capital
Posts: 588
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 8:01:29 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/10/2016 7:39:24 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 9/10/2016 5:38:54 PM, ThePostMarxist wrote:
At 7/22/2016 1:01:52 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Lol "feminist economics". I bet you it's probably worse than Marxian economics.

Yes, it's terrible to be against wage slavery and involuntary "voluntary" hierarchies that are a result of economic pressure

I can already tell that you are ignorant of economics just by looking at your name.

Don't argue with her. The communists are like dogs you cant educate them
Im not a Nazi
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 8:02:22 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/10/2016 7:59:28 PM, Capital wrote:
At 7/22/2016 1:01:52 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Lol "feminist economics". I bet you it's probably worse than Marxian economics.

What is it?

What is what? Feminist economics is a just a satirical term, and Marxian economics is used to refer to a field of study dominated by morons with no understanding of economics.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Capital
Posts: 588
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 8:03:14 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/10/2016 8:02:22 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 9/10/2016 7:59:28 PM, Capital wrote:
At 7/22/2016 1:01:52 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Lol "feminist economics". I bet you it's probably worse than Marxian economics.

What is it?

What is what? Feminist economics is a just a satirical term, and Marxian economics is used to refer to a field of study dominated by morons with no understanding of economics.

Oh I thought the feminazis actually made an economic system

Id would rather move to Nazi Germany then to have feminists make economic descions
Im not a Nazi
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 8:03:19 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/10/2016 8:01:29 PM, Capital wrote:
At 9/10/2016 7:39:24 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 9/10/2016 5:38:54 PM, ThePostMarxist wrote:
At 7/22/2016 1:01:52 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Lol "feminist economics". I bet you it's probably worse than Marxian economics.

Yes, it's terrible to be against wage slavery and involuntary "voluntary" hierarchies that are a result of economic pressure

I can already tell that you are ignorant of economics just by looking at your name.

Don't argue with her. The communists are like dogs you cant educate them

No, it's good to have people disagree, otherwise the whole point of debate is lost. Granted, I still think that all Communists and Democrats, or just leftists in general should be dropped from helicopters and executed.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 8:03:56 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/10/2016 8:03:14 PM, Capital wrote:
At 9/10/2016 8:02:22 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 9/10/2016 7:59:28 PM, Capital wrote:
At 7/22/2016 1:01:52 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Lol "feminist economics". I bet you it's probably worse than Marxian economics.

What is it?

What is what? Feminist economics is a just a satirical term, and Marxian economics is used to refer to a field of study dominated by morons with no understanding of economics.

Oh I thought the feminazis actually made an economic system

No, they probably don't even know what economics is. It's the same type of term as trickle down economics. It's a pejorative.


Id would rather move to Nazi Germany then to have feminists make economic descions

I would as well.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Capital
Posts: 588
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 8:04:33 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/10/2016 8:03:19 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 9/10/2016 8:01:29 PM, Capital wrote:
At 9/10/2016 7:39:24 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 9/10/2016 5:38:54 PM, ThePostMarxist wrote:
At 7/22/2016 1:01:52 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Lol "feminist economics". I bet you it's probably worse than Marxian economics.

Yes, it's terrible to be against wage slavery and involuntary "voluntary" hierarchies that are a result of economic pressure

I can already tell that you are ignorant of economics just by looking at your name.

Don't argue with her. The communists are like dogs you cant educate them

No, it's good to have people disagree, otherwise the whole point of debate is lost. Granted, I still think that all Communists and Democrats, or just leftists in general should be dropped from helicopters and executed.

I didn't agree with the first sentence but I did agree with the second
Im not a Nazi
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 8:14:53 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/10/2016 8:04:33 PM, Capital wrote:
At 9/10/2016 8:03:19 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 9/10/2016 8:01:29 PM, Capital wrote:
At 9/10/2016 7:39:24 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 9/10/2016 5:38:54 PM, ThePostMarxist wrote:
At 7/22/2016 1:01:52 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Lol "feminist economics". I bet you it's probably worse than Marxian economics.

Yes, it's terrible to be against wage slavery and involuntary "voluntary" hierarchies that are a result of economic pressure

I can already tell that you are ignorant of economics just by looking at your name.

Don't argue with her. The communists are like dogs you cant educate them

No, it's good to have people disagree, otherwise the whole point of debate is lost. Granted, I still think that all Communists and Democrats, or just leftists in general should be dropped from helicopters and executed.

I didn't agree with the first sentence but I did agree with the second

Beliefs are not infallible. The Catholic church thought the same way when it put people to death for disagreeing with the flat earth theory.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Capital
Posts: 588
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 8:22:43 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/10/2016 8:14:53 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 9/10/2016 8:04:33 PM, Capital wrote:
At 9/10/2016 8:03:19 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 9/10/2016 8:01:29 PM, Capital wrote:
At 9/10/2016 7:39:24 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 9/10/2016 5:38:54 PM, ThePostMarxist wrote:
At 7/22/2016 1:01:52 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Lol "feminist economics". I bet you it's probably worse than Marxian economics.

Yes, it's terrible to be against wage slavery and involuntary "voluntary" hierarchies that are a result of economic pressure

I can already tell that you are ignorant of economics just by looking at your name.

Don't argue with her. The communists are like dogs you cant educate them

No, it's good to have people disagree, otherwise the whole point of debate is lost. Granted, I still think that all Communists and Democrats, or just leftists in general should be dropped from helicopters and executed.

I didn't agree with the first sentence but I did agree with the second

Beliefs are not infallible. The Catholic church thought the same way when it put people to death for disagreeing with the flat earth theory.
https://www.google.com...
Im not a Nazi