Jump to topic:

Who is the father of economics?

gametheorist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 9:36:49 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
If I had to guess, I would say Adam Smith (Wealth of Nations, 1776). This was one of the first works, I believe, which formulated the theory and philosophy of the free market system and capitalism as we understand it today. Of course, no work or author is without their own influences. Economics as a concept can likely be traced all the way back to the ancient philosophers, i.e. Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, etc., or even further back. There have just been so many great minds throughout history that have grappled with this topic. Some of their thoughts have remained relatively intact, while some have been lost to time. Adam Smith, however, is without a doubt the earliest example with the greatest recognition attached to his name.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 10:27:51 PM
At 9/9/2016 12:34:23 PM, johndvd122 wrote:
Anyone know who is the father of economics?

Adam Smith.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 12:54:32 AM
At 9/10/2016 10:27:51 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Adam Smith.

JMK, duh! ;P
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
TimGabz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 6:52:57 AM
Adam Smith took what man has been doing all along and put it down on paper in context of a social science.
Babazonke
David_Debates
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 1:58:04 PM

What about John Locke? Those two were kind of like a tag team.
ptarkington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2016 9:29:39 AM
At 9/20/2016 6:52:57 AM, TimGabz wrote:
Adam Smith took what man has been doing all along and put it down on paper in context of a social science.

This is an excellent point. Addressing this question is strange, because economics refers to trading goods for value in excess of cost, which is the heart of the invisible hand hypothesis, which is the heart of the efficient markets hypothesis. All that to say, man has engaged in economics since the need for resources outside one's possession has existed. Adam Smith just happened to be the one who packaged it's components together.

But the very honest and almost irrefutable answer is Adam Smith.
"Capitalism is the belief the wickedest of men, will engage in the wickedest of dealings, for the greater good of all of us." -Keynes