Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Any examples of supply side econ failing?

TeaPatriot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2016 9:54:35 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
Im trying to better educate myself on economic systems so id like to know if there were any failures of supply side economics
Chairman of Economic Forum Recovery
Krugmans_Conscience
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 10:32:50 PM
At 10/12/2016 9:54:35 PM, TeaPatriot wrote:
Im trying to better educate myself on economic systems so id like to know if there were any failures of supply side economics

The failure of supply side economics would have to be the fact that its not an actual economic ideology. Or a relevant one rather
TeaPatriot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 10:54:31 PM
At 10/13/2016 10:32:50 PM, Krugmans_Conscience wrote:

The failure of supply side economics would have to be the fact that its not an actual economic ideology. Or a relevant one rather

Yes it is, it was implemented in 1920s and 1980s america eith cuts on wealthy buisnesses and a low corporate tax rate

Im just trying to find one example of it failing. I cant seem tooa
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 11:12:45 PM
At 10/13/2016 10:32:50 PM, Krugmans_Conscience wrote:

A profile named "Krugman's conscience" is critiquing an entire economic theory while supporting one of the worst economics of the modern day. Truly brilliant.

By the way, supply side economics is both an existing theory as well as a relevant one. I suggest you learn more about it.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Chang29
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 11:40:23 PM

The problem with supply side economics is that it uses the same faulty assumptions are all verisions of Keynesian economics, mainly that government's monopoly of violence should have a role in the economy.

Supply side fails just as all outside market interventions fail. Resources are adjusted due to government threats, into less productive areas. This mis-allocation of resources will then require more government force to correct, creating a cycle of violent interventions.
A free market anti-capitalist

If it can be de-centralized, it will be de-centralized.
TeaPatriot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 11:55:08 PM
At 10/13/2016 11:40:23 PM, Chang29 wrote:

The problem with supply side economics is that it uses the same faulty assumptions are all verisions of Keynesian economics, mainly that government's monopoly of violence should have a role in the economy.

Supply side fails just as all outside market interventions fail. Resources are adjusted due to government threats, into less productive areas. This mis-allocation of resources will then require more government force to correct, creating a cycle of violent interventions.

Can you give me a specific failure of it though? Like where and when?
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 12:06:48 AM

I don't think you understand what supply side economics is. It's the antithesis to Keynesian economics and differs greatly with demand side economics. There is no desire for government intervention or forceful allocation of resources in supply side.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
TeaPatriot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 12:20:36 AM
At 10/14/2016 12:06:48 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

I don't think you understand what supply side economics is. It's the antithesis to Keynesian economics and differs greatly with demand side economics. There is no desire for government intervention or forceful allocation of resources in supply side.

https://www.bing.com...
Chang29
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 4:36:19 AM
At 10/14/2016 12:06:48 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

I do understand supply side economics, is Keynesian light. Supply siders accept government intervention just less, and agree with Keynesians about monetary policy. If forceful allocation of resources was reject by supply siders then they would be Austrians. Supply siders practice normative economic policies just as Keynesians.

A key supply side theory is the Laffer Curve on how to maximum revunue from taxation. If they did not accept government intervention, then they would flatly reject taxation as an economic tool.

Chang29
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 4:44:25 AM
At 10/13/2016 11:55:08 PM, TeaPatriot wrote:

Since both Keynesians and supply siders agree on most major economic ideas, specific examples of economic failures are all around us. An example of where the supply side solution is no better economically than a Keynesian idea is in publicly funded education. Many supply siders would want a voucher program as an alternative.

America's public funded education has crowded out low cost private alternatives. Nearly, every household in America is a forced-rider on the public education system and only the upper income levels can afford to exit the system. A system that continually reinforces indoctrination instead of education. A voucher program would not end the crowding out of low cost alternatives. It would simply subsidize the higher cost alternatives. This situation keeps everyone as forced-riders in a high cost education system.

TeaPatriot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 11:17:39 AM
At 10/14/2016 4:44:25 AM, Chang29 wrote:
At 10/13/2016 11:55:08 PM, TeaPatriot wrote:

Since both Keynesians and supply siders agree on most major economic ideas, specific examples of economic failures are all around us. An example of where the supply side solution is no better economically than a Keynesian idea is in publicly funded education. Many supply siders would want a voucher program as an alternative.

America's public funded education has crowded out low cost private alternatives. Nearly, every household in America is a forced-rider on the public education system and only the upper income levels can afford to exit the system. A system that continually reinforces indoctrination instead of education. A voucher program would not end the crowding out of low cost alternatives. It would simply subsidize the higher cost alternatives. This situation keeps everyone as forced-riders in a high cost education system.

Oh okay thanks. Im doing a paper on supply side economics and I just want to knoe thr downsides