Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

Flat vs. Progressive tax.

Genius_Intellect
Posts: 339
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 1:21:31 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
Flat tax is where everybody gets taxed the same percentage regardless of income. Progressive tax is where percentage increases with income.

Which kind of tax is better, and why?
TeaPatriot
Posts: 203
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 2:19:36 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 1:21:31 AM, Genius_Intellect wrote:
Flat tax is where everybody gets taxed the same percentage regardless of income. Progressive tax is where percentage increases with income.

Which kind of tax is better, and why?

Flat, encourages more of the rich to actually pay. Gocernement actually collects more revenue on flat tax. Tax progressivity also correlates to lower GDP
Chairman of Economic Forum Recovery
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 2:20:40 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 1:21:31 AM, Genius_Intellect wrote:
Flat tax is where everybody gets taxed the same percentage regardless of income. Progressive tax is where percentage increases with income.

Which kind of tax is better, and why?

A flat tax of 0%.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Chang29
Posts: 732
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 4:41:04 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 1:21:31 AM, Genius_Intellect wrote:
Flat tax is where everybody gets taxed the same percentage regardless of income. Progressive tax is where percentage increases with income.

Which kind of tax is better, and why?

How about voluntary contributions to desired government services?
A free market anti-capitalist

If it can be de-centralized, it will be de-centralized.
Genius_Intellect
Posts: 339
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 4:49:24 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 4:41:04 AM, Chang29 wrote:
At 10/22/2016 1:21:31 AM, Genius_Intellect wrote:
Flat tax is where everybody gets taxed the same percentage regardless of income. Progressive tax is where percentage increases with income.

Which kind of tax is better, and why?

How about voluntary contributions to desired government services?

Only the good would contribute, while the rest would freeload.
Chang29
Posts: 732
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 5:01:10 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 4:49:24 AM, Genius_Intellect wrote:
At 10/22/2016 4:41:04 AM, Chang29 wrote:
At 10/22/2016 1:21:31 AM, Genius_Intellect wrote:
Flat tax is where everybody gets taxed the same percentage regardless of income. Progressive tax is where percentage increases with income.

Which kind of tax is better, and why?

How about voluntary contributions to desired government services?

Only the good would contribute, while the rest would freeload.

Creating forced-riders to prevent free-riders with coercion is immoral. How about using peaceful methods to provide public goods?
A free market anti-capitalist

If it can be de-centralized, it will be de-centralized.
Genius_Intellect
Posts: 339
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 6:28:57 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 5:01:10 AM, Chang29 wrote:
At 10/22/2016 4:49:24 AM, Genius_Intellect wrote:
At 10/22/2016 4:41:04 AM, Chang29 wrote:
At 10/22/2016 1:21:31 AM, Genius_Intellect wrote:
Flat tax is where everybody gets taxed the same percentage regardless of income. Progressive tax is where percentage increases with income.

Which kind of tax is better, and why?

How about voluntary contributions to desired government services?

Only the good would contribute, while the rest would freeload.

Creating forced-riders to prevent free-riders with coercion is immoral. How about using peaceful methods to provide public goods?

It doesn't have to be moral, it just has to work.
TeaPatriot
Posts: 203
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 9:10:07 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 2:20:40 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 10/22/2016 1:21:31 AM, Genius_Intellect wrote:
Flat tax is where everybody gets taxed the same percentage regardless of income. Progressive tax is where percentage increases with income.

Which kind of tax is better, and why?

A flat tax of 0%.

Too extreme
Chairman of Economic Forum Recovery
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 9:15:24 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 9:10:07 PM, TeaPatriot wrote:
At 10/22/2016 2:20:40 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 10/22/2016 1:21:31 AM, Genius_Intellect wrote:
Flat tax is where everybody gets taxed the same percentage regardless of income. Progressive tax is where percentage increases with income.

Which kind of tax is better, and why?

A flat tax of 0%.

Too extreme

Nah
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
TeaPatriot
Posts: 203
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 9:21:46 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 9:15:24 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 10/22/2016 9:10:07 PM, TeaPatriot wrote:
At 10/22/2016 2:20:40 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 10/22/2016 1:21:31 AM, Genius_Intellect wrote:
Flat tax is where everybody gets taxed the same percentage regardless of income. Progressive tax is where percentage increases with income.

Which kind of tax is better, and why?

A flat tax of 0%.

Too extreme

Nah

Then how we fund military ;_;
Chairman of Economic Forum Recovery
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 9:22:13 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 9:21:46 PM, TeaPatriot wrote:
At 10/22/2016 9:15:24 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 10/22/2016 9:10:07 PM, TeaPatriot wrote:
At 10/22/2016 2:20:40 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 10/22/2016 1:21:31 AM, Genius_Intellect wrote:
Flat tax is where everybody gets taxed the same percentage regardless of income. Progressive tax is where percentage increases with income.

Which kind of tax is better, and why?

A flat tax of 0%.

Too extreme

Nah

Then how we fund military ;_;

Make the Mexicans pay for it
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
TeaPatriot
Posts: 203
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 9:32:57 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 9:22:13 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 10/22/2016 9:21:46 PM, TeaPatriot wrote:
At 10/22/2016 9:15:24 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 10/22/2016 9:10:07 PM, TeaPatriot wrote:
At 10/22/2016 2:20:40 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 10/22/2016 1:21:31 AM, Genius_Intellect wrote:
Flat tax is where everybody gets taxed the same percentage regardless of income. Progressive tax is where percentage increases with income.

Which kind of tax is better, and why?

A flat tax of 0%.

Too extreme

Nah

Then how we fund military ;_;

Make the Mexicans pay for it

How we going to do dat once trump deports them all?
Chairman of Economic Forum Recovery
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 9:43:19 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 9:32:57 PM, TeaPatriot wrote:
At 10/22/2016 9:22:13 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 10/22/2016 9:21:46 PM, TeaPatriot wrote:
At 10/22/2016 9:15:24 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 10/22/2016 9:10:07 PM, TeaPatriot wrote:
At 10/22/2016 2:20:40 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 10/22/2016 1:21:31 AM, Genius_Intellect wrote:
Flat tax is where everybody gets taxed the same percentage regardless of income. Progressive tax is where percentage increases with income.

Which kind of tax is better, and why?

A flat tax of 0%.

Too extreme

Nah

Then how we fund military ;_;

Make the Mexicans pay for it

How we going to do dat once trump deports them all?

Take their burrito earnings
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
TeaPatriot
Posts: 203
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 9:49:58 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 9:43:19 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 10/22/2016 9:32:57 PM, TeaPatriot wrote:
At 10/22/2016 9:22:13 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 10/22/2016 9:21:46 PM, TeaPatriot wrote:
At 10/22/2016 9:15:24 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 10/22/2016 9:10:07 PM, TeaPatriot wrote:
At 10/22/2016 2:20:40 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 10/22/2016 1:21:31 AM, Genius_Intellect wrote:
Flat tax is where everybody gets taxed the same percentage regardless of income. Progressive tax is where percentage increases with income.

Which kind of tax is better, and why?

A flat tax of 0%.

Too extreme

Nah

Then how we fund military ;_;

Make the Mexicans pay for it

How we going to do dat once trump deports them all?

Take their burrito earnings

Its cultural appropiation if we make burritos tho
Chairman of Economic Forum Recovery
Genius_Intellect
Posts: 339
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 11:04:20 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 9:22:13 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 10/22/2016 9:21:46 PM, TeaPatriot wrote:
Then how we fund military ;_;

Make the Mexicans pay for it

Invade Mexico, rob the rich, enslave the poor, and rape its natural resources. That should cover the bill. If not, keep moving down the continent.
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 3:32:26 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 1:21:31 AM, Genius_Intellect wrote:
Flat tax is where everybody gets taxed the same percentage regardless of income. Progressive tax is where percentage increases with income.

Which kind of tax is better, and why?

Neither. You could spend years arguing one system over the other. Implementation according to your goals in society is key.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Dujec
Posts: 55
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 5:43:17 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 2:19:36 AM, TeaPatriot wrote:
At 10/22/2016 1:21:31 AM, Genius_Intellect wrote:
Flat tax is where everybody gets taxed the same percentage regardless of income. Progressive tax is where percentage increases with income.

Which kind of tax is better, and why?

Flat, encourages more of the rich to actually pay. Gocernement actually collects more revenue on flat tax. Tax progressivity also correlates to lower GDP

Agreed, a flat sales excluding necessities would be voluntary. An additional luxury tax and sin tax could attract the far left.
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 8:55:00 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 2:19:36 AM, TeaPatriot wrote:
At 10/22/2016 1:21:31 AM, Genius_Intellect wrote:
Flat tax is where everybody gets taxed the same percentage regardless of income. Progressive tax is where percentage increases with income.

Which kind of tax is better, and why?

Flat, encourages more of the rich to actually pay. Gocernement actually collects more revenue on flat tax. Tax progressivity also correlates to lower GDP

Can you explain your reasoning?
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
ken1122
Posts: 464
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 2:34:15 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 10/22/2016 1:21:31 AM, Genius_Intellect wrote:
Flat tax is where everybody gets taxed the same percentage regardless of income. Progressive tax is where percentage increases with income.

Which kind of tax is better, and why?

When Steve Forbes ran for president on the "flat tax" plan, he was vilified for attempting to raise the taxes on the poor and lower the taxes for the rich. Under a flat tax system, everybody pays taxes; rich and poor; not just half of the population as you have now.

Ken
David_Debates
Posts: 244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2016 5:53:15 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 10/22/2016 1:21:31 AM, Genius_Intellect wrote:
Flat tax is where everybody gets taxed the same percentage regardless of income. Progressive tax is where percentage increases with income.

Which kind of tax is better, and why?

Flax tax makes more sense then a progressive tax. After all, with a flax tax, the "rich" would still be paying more than the poor, and they'd probably have less loopholes to get out of paying their taxes. Just to put it into perspective, our progressive income tax code on its own has over 1000 pages.
Stymie13
Posts: 2,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2016 7:32:17 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
Flat with no write offs, deductions, credits.

0.5% sales tax explicitly for the national debt.

2 new amendments and repeal 1:

Repeal 16- abolish irs, flat can be done with minimal staffing based off tax ID.
Balanced budget amendment and amendment so that national sales tax can't be raised (think as trust fund) which sunsets when debt is gone.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,249
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2016 10:17:01 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 10/22/2016 1:21:31 AM, Genius_Intellect wrote:
Flat tax is where everybody gets taxed the same percentage regardless of income. Progressive tax is where percentage increases with income.

Which kind of tax is better, and why?

A progressive tax is simply a hidden welfare program. Honesty is the best policy.