Jump to topic:

Why is health care so expensive?

Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2016 2:22:43 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
Every time I go to a doctor, I generally try to take note of how many resources I'm using. I have rarely been able to justify the prices I'm using with practical thought.

How the heck does this system work, and why does it cost so much? There must be a lot more time invested behind the scenes, or I wouldn't think I'd be getting charged for it.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2016 7:40:54 PM
At 10/30/2016 2:22:43 AM, Quadrunner wrote:
Every time I go to a doctor, I generally try to take note of how many resources I'm using. I have rarely been able to justify the prices I'm using with practical thought.

How the heck does this system work, and why does it cost so much? There must be a lot more time invested behind the scenes, or I wouldn't think I'd be getting charged for it.

You don't really have the option of shopping around for healthcare and since it's a private healthy care system people have to charge a lot and many decide just on social greedy and gouge people
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2016 7:41:24 PM

You don't really have the option of shopping around for healthcare and since it's a private healthy care system people have to charge a lot and many decide just to be greedy and gouge people

Fixed
BillSPrestonEsq
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2016 1:15:58 AM
At 10/30/2016 7:41:24 PM, mc9 wrote:

You don't really have the option of shopping around for healthcare and since it's a private healthy care system people have to charge a lot and many decide just to be greedy and gouge people

Fixed

WRONG. Because it's private companies they can gouge you? No. If that were the case what would stop anyone else from undercutting these 'greedy companies'? Think about that. What would stop another business from undercutting the competition, delivering a quality services and completely taking over the market and crushing every other company in business? The answer is government intervention into the healthcare industry. Another company can't just come in and fix these problems by law. That is the reason. I challenge you to look at every problem we face and to attempt and solve it yourself. When you do this you will find a common hurdle... law. Laws that maintain the status quo for the companies that lobby government the hardest.
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2016 2:58:00 PM
At 11/4/2016 1:15:58 AM, BillSPrestonEsq wrote:

Fixed

WRONG. Because it's private companies they can gouge you? No. If that were the case what would stop anyone else from undercutting these 'greedy companies'? Think about that. What would stop another business from undercutting the competition,

delivering a quality services and completely taking over the market and crushing every other company in business? The answer is government intervention into the healthcare industry. Another company can't just come in and fix these problems by law.
Because the. Company which owns the patent to a drug has a monopoly on it
That is the reason. I challenge you to look at every problem we face and to attempt and solve it yourself. When you do this you will find a common hurdle... law. Laws that maintain the status quo for the companies that lobby government the hardest.
Genius_Intellect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2016 12:02:21 AM

Drug patents and FDA regulations.

Companies spend 1 year and 10 million dollars developing a new drug, then they have to spend another 9 years and 990 million dollars proving that it's safe and effective (the numbers are rough estimates). In return, the government grants them a 20-year monopoly to recoup their investment, during which they hike up the price to gouge as much money as possible. Once the patent expires, every other company pumps out cheap knockoffs and the price drips to a tenth of what it was before.

If we slash regulations, the companies don't have to invest as much or charge as much. If we shorten patent time, competition will lower the prices sooner.
Porkloin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 9:44:41 PM
Posted: 4 weeks ago
There is also our litigious society, with vast numbers of lawsuits and some ludicrously high judgments. Malpractice insurance is costly for doctors, roughly $20,000 per year in the lower-cost states, up to $200,000 per year for the higher-cost states.

Doctors may feel compelled to order expensive tests, and hospitals compelled to have the latest and greatest medical equipment, even when of questionable efficacy, in order to "have all the bases covered." A CT scanner costs a couple hundred thousand bucks, but if you want the top-of-the-line, 640 slice model, it's $2.5 million or more. Typical MRI scanner = $1 million. Goes up to the INUMAC MRI Scanner, at $270 million. PET scanners, robotic surgery, proton beam therapy - this kind of stuff is brutally costly.
BillSPrestonEsq
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 3:16:42 AM
Posted: 4 weeks ago
At 11/4/2016 2:58:00 PM, mc9 wrote:
At 11/4/2016 1:15:58 AM, BillSPrestonEsq wrote:

Fixed

WRONG. Because it's private companies they can gouge you? No. If that were the case what would stop anyone else from undercutting these 'greedy companies'? Think about that. What would stop another business from undercutting the competition,

delivering a quality services and completely taking over the market and crushing every other company in business? The answer is government intervention into the healthcare industry. Another company can't just come in and fix these problems by law.
Because the. Company which owns the patent to a drug has a monopoly on it
That is the reason. I challenge you to look at every problem we face and to attempt and solve it yourself. When you do this you will find a common hurdle... law. Laws that maintain the status quo for the companies that lobby government the hardest.

Were you having trouble replying here? I see you added one sentence into the middle of my first reply to you. It's confusing. You wrote, "Because the. Company which owns the patent to a drug has a monopoly on it". Are you opposed to the protection of intellectual property? I fully support it, without it large companies would be able to steal ideas from everywhere, and the resources to develop them. There would be no point of creating anything really.
The high cost of healthcare is much more than drugs. Though it is the law that makes them so expensive. For instance if Medicare is funded by taxes, there is no competition to lower the prices. Drug companies can charge anything because 'the government' foots the bill. They have no interest in cutting costs, as they aren't spending their own money. On the contrary they are getting compensated one way or another by lobbyists.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2016 7:34:22 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago

I don't have enough time to explain how it 'works' but cost is directly proportional to 1 word: utilization (how and why it's used).
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2016 8:51:30 PM
At 11/24/2016 7:34:22 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

I don't have enough time to explain how it 'works' but cost is directly proportional to 1 word: utilization (how and why it's used).

Lol, cost has to do with scarcity too.

Healthcare is actually a finite resource, no matter what political lies you choose to believe.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2016 9:00:03 PM
At 11/24/2016 8:51:30 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Healthcare is actually a finite resource, no matter what political lies you choose to believe.

Been in the industry 15 years, 3 of the last 4 doing cost projection. Scarcity does come into play, specifically in regards to access to care. Note: it's going to get worse based off the practitioner base.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2016 9:20:06 PM
At 11/24/2016 9:00:03 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

Been in the industry 15 years, 3 of the last 4 doing cost projection. Scarcity does come into play, specifically in regards to access to care. Note: it's going to get worse based off the practitioner base.

There's so many regulations, licensing quotas, mandated coverage and malpractice insurance, minimum this...minimum that...you can't expect anything with those things attached to be cheap.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2016 9:28:13 PM
At 11/24/2016 9:20:06 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 11/24/2016 9:00:03 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

There's so many regulations, licensing quotas, mandated coverage and malpractice insurance, minimum this...minimum that...you can't expect anything with those things attached to be cheap.

And with American utilization practices.

Ex: back in 06 (Medicare followed our lead) did a cba on colonoscopies. At an outpatient hospital, average cost was 2k. At an amb surgical center, 450. We would try and steer members to the asc to save them cost... know how much pushback and refusal we got? Heck the same docs were performing the procedure at both yet members thought we were 'looking at our bottom line' only. Same with rehab hospitals/snf vs home health... just ridiculous.

But to most it's just evil hmo's and big pharma. It costs more to deny a claim than pay it (usually because it's billed incorrectly and if it's just 'paid' payer gets dinged on HEDIS measures... meaning fined).
BillSPrestonEsq
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 11:12:45 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/24/2016 9:28:13 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

But to most it's just evil hmo's and big pharma. It costs more to deny a claim than pay it (usually because it's billed incorrectly and if it's just 'paid' payer gets dinged on HEDIS measures... meaning fined).

But isn't it evil HMO's and big pharma WITH the help of government? How could they otherwise effect the industry if they did not have access to the law?