Jump to topic:

Trade Protectionism

Curious22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 7:24:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Large terrifies on consumer goods would help produce jobs for many Americans. The price of luxury items may go up, but in a time of mass unemployment, and in a nation that can feed itself if a trade war develops it just makes sense.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 7:25:39 PM
At 1/19/2011 7:24:17 PM, Curious22 wrote:
Large terrifies on consumer goods would help produce jobs for many Americans. The price of luxury items may go up, but in a time of mass unemployment, and in a nation that can feed itself if a trade war develops it just makes sense.

I agree. Terrifies are necessary for a healthy economy.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 7:29:01 PM
Large terrifies on consumer goods would help produce jobs for many Americans.

Nah dude I just think it would scare people
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 7:30:29 PM

terrorist!!
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 7:49:43 PM
Short answer: No, you're completely wrong. Everything you just said is completely without justification, and you should feel bad for making such a bad post.

Longer answer: The theory behind protectionism is that there should be a tax on imports (a tariff) to protect American businesses from competition from foreign businesses that want to sell American consumers better goods at lower prices. Protectionists claim that by "protecting" American businesses, tariffs make America more prosperous. This is a lie.

The abandonment of self-sufficiency, through the division of labor, is the foundation of all human progress and prosperity. Just as the first divisions of labor allowed hunter-gatherer tribes to settle down, increasing the standard of living, continued division of labor created all of the prosperity and wealth that exists today. By specializing in different tasks, individuals and groups do those tasks better than people who have to create everything they want themselves. The total amount of goods and services created increases, and through trade, everyone is better off. The benefits of division of labor do not end at arbitrary, economically meaningless borders. If Alabama were to stop buying goods produced elsewhere in the United States and try to produce everything it wanted within its borders, it would obviously be poorer for doing so. The people of Alabama would be better off producing what they are best at producing, selling those goods to the rest of the United States, and then using that money to buy things that the rest of the United States is better at producing. The same is true of any country that wishes to close its borders and become self-sufficient. The borders between countries are no more economically meaningful than the borders between states.

But what about "unfair" competition? What if a foreign government, say, Japan, subsidizes its TV industry, letting them sell TVs at cheaper prices than American companies can sell for? This is indeed bad—for the Japanese. But it's great for America. To see why, imagine if Japan subsidized its TV industry even more—so much that they can offer American consumers TVs for free. Of course, it would destroy the American television industry, but that wouldn't matter. Since Americans would be saving so much money on televisions, they'd have more to spend on other products. That extra money that they have to spend would create jobs to replace the one's lost in the American television industry. The situation is the same when foreign governments only subsidize their exporters enough to lower the price of exports somewhat, rather than to zero. The only difference is that it happens to a lesser extent, with an industry being hurt somewhat rather than eliminated. A particular industry may be hurt, but America as a whole is better off.

Groups that lobby for protectionism don't care about America—they just want to enrich themselves at the expense of everyone else. They aren't good enough to compete in the market, so they try to use government power to force consumers to buy their inferior products over better, cheaper foreign ones.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 8:05:09 PM
lol, LF, you're the Charleslb of the free market ^^
jk
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 8:06:07 PM
At 1/19/2011 8:05:09 PM, bluesteel wrote:
jk

I normally wouldn't write that much, but I had already written that as an article for my school newspaper, so I just copy-pasted it.
Should we subsidize education?

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 8:06:53 PM
At 1/19/2011 8:06:07 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
At 1/19/2011 8:05:09 PM, bluesteel wrote:
jk

I normally wouldn't write that much, but I had already written that as an article for my school newspaper, so I just copy-pasted it.

haha, makes sense

And all is right with the world again...
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 8:07:33 PM
Wow it took me the longest time to figure out what the hell this topic was about, until I realized that by terrifies he meant tarrif. Wow, I was like wtf is terrifies
Open borders debate:
djsherin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 9:33:26 PM

You can feed yourself. You should impose tariffs on yourself to create more Curious22-jobs.
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 10:09:03 PM
You are about to be crucified. Fair warning, although it came a little late as Laissez-Faire has already cast the first stone.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 11:36:59 PM

I'll do what everyone else has a problem doing in two words:

Comparative Advantage
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 1:44:26 AM
Great Depression - prolonged by tariffs/trade wars