Total Posts:26|Showing Posts:1-26
Jump to topic:

I know my retirement savings are on track...

askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 12:07:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Who here knows anything about retirement? Without researching tell me how you plan to retire/steps you've taken/plans you have.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 12:29:48 PM
At 2/2/2011 12:07:36 PM, askbob wrote:
Who here knows anything about retirement? Without researching tell me how you plan to retire/steps you've taken/plans you have.

Don't need to plan ahead - there's Social Security :P
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 1:08:06 PM
At 2/2/2011 12:29:48 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Don't need to plan ahead - there's Social Security :P

lol
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 1:26:46 PM
Who here knows anything about retirement? Without researching tell me how you plan to retire/steps you've taken/plans you have.:

I'm enrolled in the Thrift Savings Plan, specifically in the Lifecycle 2040 plan.

http://www.ici.org...
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 1:35:34 PM
At 2/2/2011 12:29:48 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Don't need to plan ahead - there's Social Security:

LOL! Bob's a neo-con, but he makes me laugh. And also FDR explains how he arrived at Social Security. It's really quite fascinating, have a listen.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 2:16:35 PM
I don't save at all for retirement... The idea that someday I will fail to be productive is absurd to me. Old people can be productive in many ways; the only reason why we stick them in homes and push them out of the work force is because we are consumed with ambition (ambition=/=diligence). Ambition used to be considered a purely negative trait, although now it has been assimilated into the neocon's five-point plan for personal and societal success.

To sate ambition, we send our elderly away to be cared for by social workers, and we send our children away to day-cares. Our marriages are crashing at >50% these days... I wonder why? My girlfriend was with a guy who was in a highly ambitious job when I met her, and I believe his inability to see that money wasn't worth losing his woman was part of the reason she fell for me and left him.

So devote yourselves ambitiously to the carrot of success being held in front of you, and see if those dollars can buy you happiness when your children resent you, your spouses leave you, and your parents die alone surrounded by white sheets and nurses who really couldn't care less if they survived another night. You will soon enough get your turn to retire and by the time you realize that the money isn't what you really wanted after all, it will be too late.
no comment
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 2:22:42 PM
Ok Caramel, while I enjoy reading your nonsensical garbage about how money is the root of all evil, start another thread instead of clogging up a legitamate topic about retirement savings.

If you don't save, then just say: "I'm an idiot who wants to work my entire life"
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 2:23:20 PM
At 2/2/2011 1:26:46 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Who here knows anything about retirement? Without researching tell me how you plan to retire/steps you've taken/plans you have.:

I'm enrolled in the Thrift Savings Plan, specifically in the Lifecycle 2040 plan.

Do you have an IRA?
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 2:23:58 PM
At 2/2/2011 2:16:35 PM, Caramel wrote:
blah blah blah communist rant blah blah blah

So if you find yourself deaf, blind, and unable to walk around at the age of 92, you'll be totally shocked that you're no longer productive and you definitely won't regret not having set money aside to provide for yourself?
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 2:27:10 PM

I'd like to live off in the woods... in a shack...

I figure I'll buy property somewhere.. prolly alaska as it's probably fairly cheap ;)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 2:55:31 PM
At 2/2/2011 2:27:10 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

I figure I'll buy property somewhere.. prolly alaska as it's probably fairly cheap ;)

I hear there's a very nice pond and an unoccupied cabin near Concord Massachusetts. Rumor has it that the owner hasn't live in it for a 157 years.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 2:56:04 PM
For real though besides Paradigm_Lost do any of you know how to save for retirement?
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 2:59:10 PM

Well, I don't know if this is research or not, but I remember reading this somewhere. I'll paste the relevant paragraph.

"Say you've got 40 years to retirement. If you start with $1,000 and invest an additional $1,000 each year, and your money earns 10% annually, then when you're ready to retire at age 65, you'll have $532,111.07. That seems worth it to us. If you have earned income, you can set up a Roth IRA, and you won't even pay any taxes on that $532K when you withdraw it. (As always, your mileage may vary.)"

Here's where I read it :)

http://www.fool.com...
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 3:55:36 PM
At 2/2/2011 2:59:10 PM, Indophile wrote:

Well, I don't know if this is research or not, but I remember reading this somewhere. I'll paste the relevant paragraph.

"Say you've got 40 years to retirement. If you start with $1,000 and invest an additional $1,000 each year, and your money earns 10% annually, then when you're ready to retire at age 65, you'll have $532,111.07. That seems worth it to us. If you have earned income, you can set up a Roth IRA, and you won't even pay any taxes on that $532K when you withdraw it. (As always, your mileage may vary.)"

Here's where I read it :)

http://www.fool.com...

Is that enough to retire with though? What if you live past 75?
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 4:50:53 PM
At 2/2/2011 2:23:20 PM, askbob wrote:
At 2/2/2011 1:26:46 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Do you have an IRA?:

No, but I've definitely considered it.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 8:49:17 AM

Why wait? You and Sarah Palin should have a lot to talk about. For example, how to misspell words and use punctuation randomly, along with how to function without a spinal cord.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 11:01:55 AM
At 2/3/2011 8:49:17 AM, gavin.ogden wrote:

Why wait? You and Sarah Palin should have a lot to talk about. For example, how to misspell words and use punctuation randomly, along with how to function without a spinal cord.

8)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 11:07:01 AM
At 2/3/2011 11:01:55 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 2/3/2011 8:49:17 AM, gavin.ogden wrote:

8)

what examples of misspellings and improper punctuation do you have from Sarah Palin ?? 8/

Metaphysics:
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 4:43:46 PM
At 2/2/2011 2:23:58 PM, Grape wrote:

So if you find yourself deaf, blind, and unable to walk around at the age of 92, you'll be totally shocked that you're no longer productive and you definitely won't regret not having set money aside to provide for yourself?

My grandmother is turning 100 soon, and has hundreds of thousands saved away. She lives very comfortably... but her money has made it hard to maintain ties with her. If you know anything about having it then you'll know why...
no comment
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 6:08:06 PM
At 2/2/2011 2:22:42 PM, askbob wrote:
Ok Caramel, while I enjoy reading your nonsensical garbage about how money is the root of all evil, start another thread instead of clogging up a legitamate topic about retirement savings.

If you don't save, then just say: "I'm an idiot who wants to work my entire life"

I'm an idiot who wants to work my entire life.
no comment
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 6:10:44 PM
At 2/3/2011 4:43:46 PM, Caramel wrote:

My grandmother is turning 100 soon, and has hundreds of thousands saved away. She lives very comfortably... but her money has made it hard to maintain ties with her. If you know anything about having it then you'll know why...

Lol I have plenty of money and I have great ties to my family, especially my grandmother. Quit being such a weirdo and makeup with her.

Working until you die is a really shitty way to spend your time on this earth. Once I retire at 45 I'm opening up my own restaurant and traveling the world.

I'll send you a postcard caramel.
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 7:59:08 PM
At 2/3/2011 6:10:44 PM, askbob wrote:
At 2/3/2011 4:43:46 PM, Caramel wrote:

Lol I have plenty of money and I have great ties to my family, especially my grandmother. Quit being such a weirdo and makeup with her.

It's hard... she's real cold. Anytime I call her or anything, I might as well just open up by saying" hey I'm just calling to keep up ties so I get my inheritance" because she knows that she has money and everyone wants it. She's so used to living with money that she is owned by it. Your family must all be well off because if they weren't then you would be expected to sponsor any activities that you do together. People without money will just expect that of you.

Working until you die is a really shitty way to spend your time on this earth. Once I retire at 45 I'm opening up my own restaurant and traveling the world.

My grandmother did that too... she's probably been to most of the countries on the planet. Ambition has its rewards, obviously, but your wealth and power will change you. Morality will be an uphill battle and your efforts to secure your wealth will come at the expense of other things that you may not realize until it is too late.

As far as retirement, I would hope I will find my way into something that I can continue to do until I die. It seems like it would be quite depressing to wake up every day knowing I am just a drain on society and not able to contribute. Depression would be a problem.

You are already barely able to contain your pride. More money is just going to further spoil your character.
no comment
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 8:17:46 PM
At 2/3/2011 7:59:08 PM, Caramel wrote:
It's hard... she's real cold. Anytime I call her or anything, I might as well just open up by saying" hey I'm just calling to keep up ties so I get my inheritance" because she knows that she has money and everyone wants it. She's so used to living with money that she is owned by it. Your family must all be well off because if they weren't then you would be expected to sponsor any activities that you do together. People without money will just expect that of you.

My family is upper middle class. Not wealthy. I am wealthy for my age.

You aren't "owned" by money, and clearly the problem with you and your grandmother is that you don't love her as you have expectations that she hates you or suspects that you only care for her because of the money. Clearly you just have a pisspoor relationship with your grandmother and are just blaming it on money.

My grandmother did that too... she's probably been to most of the countries on the planet. Ambition has its rewards, obviously, but your wealth and power will change you. Morality will be an uphill battle and your efforts to secure your wealth will come at the expense of other things that you may not realize until it is too late.

Morals aren't tied to being fiscally savy. It's not that I'm urging you to work doubly as much and miss out on life. I'm saying that you should be less materialistic and only spend money on experiences rather than things. Being intelligent, understanding our tax code and the legal ways to get around it coupled with being saving when it comes to spending (living below your means) is how you become wealthy. Just learn how to invest and do it.

As far as retirement, I would hope I will find my way into something that I can continue to do until I die. It seems like it would be quite depressing to wake up every day knowing I am just a drain on society and not able to contribute. Depression would be a problem.

Or you could just save your money and then work because you want to work and have the freedom to do what you want.

Money doesn't own you when you are rich, you are free from it.

Money owns you when you are poor and live paycheck to paycheck and have to get up every morning to earn more money.

You are already barely able to contain your pride. More money is just going to further spoil your character.

No living below your means, being intelligent and utilizing the laws and knowledge around you to invest in businesses as well as having the ability to do what you want when you want doesn't spoil your character. It makes it better.

Living paycheck to paycheck, not preparing for times when you get fired, living off of welfare, being dependent on money, wasting your time (earned money given up for your time) on pointless material objects, etc. Makes your character worse.
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 9:30:54 PM
At 2/3/2011 8:17:46 PM, askbob wrote:
At 2/3/2011 7:59:08 PM, Caramel wrote:

My family is upper middle class. Not wealthy. I am wealthy for my age.

You aren't "owned" by money, and clearly the problem with you and your grandmother is that you don't love her as you have expectations that she hates you or suspects that you only care for her because of the money. Clearly you just have a pisspoor relationship with your grandmother and are just blaming it on money.

Yeah I blame it on money. She's rich and I'm poor. I know I sound like I'm just expressing a classic external locus of control here, but it's pretty obvious what's going on when we speak. She is remarkably direct; she brings up money every time we talk like we have some sort of business relationship. She literally told me last year that she would send me a large sum of money if I wrote her on xmas and her birthday. I wrote her only once because her birthday is in mid december and I didn't see much point in writing another letter, and she pretty much has ignored me ever since. She incinuates that she thinks I'm lying about my educational achievements just to butter her bread so I can get more money. I find no reason to defend myself against such ridiculousness so I spitefully let her believe it. Like I said, everything we say and do together is tainted by her wealth. When she dies I expect the family on that side to disintegrate as everyone minus myself starts clawing for the inheritance. My uncle is very close to her and no doubt has a good plan to make sure he gets it all, and he will no doubt assume that I hate him afterwards and will break off ties with me - because when I do come ringing his phone, there will obviously only be one reason right?

Morals aren't tied to being fiscally savy. It's not that I'm urging you to work doubly as much and miss out on life. I'm saying that you should be less materialistic and only spend money on experiences rather than things. Being intelligent, understanding our tax code and the legal ways to get around it coupled with being saving when it comes to spending (living below your means) is how you become wealthy. Just learn how to invest and do it.

I was careful with my words. Wealth makes morality an uphill battle, they aren't intertwined with fiscal savviness.

Or you could just save your money and then work because you want to work and have the freedom to do what you want.

Money doesn't own you when you are rich, you are free from it.

We're all slaves to money; the only difference is how.

Money owns you when you are poor and live paycheck to paycheck and have to get up every morning to earn more money.

No living below your means, being intelligent and utilizing the laws and knowledge around you to invest in businesses as well as having the ability to do what you want when you want doesn't spoil your character. It makes it better.

Living paycheck to paycheck, not preparing for times when you get fired, living off of welfare, being dependent on money, wasting your time (earned money given up for your time) on pointless material objects, etc. Makes your character worse.

Yes it does. Again, it takes care to navigate finances without becoming so broke or so ambitious that you don't suffer. That's why I advocate a non currency system.
no comment
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 10:00:39 PM
At 2/3/2011 9:30:54 PM, Caramel wrote:
Yeah I blame it on money. She's rich and I'm poor. I know I sound like I'm just expressing a classic external locus of control here, but it's pretty obvious what's going on when we speak. She is remarkably direct; she brings up money every time we talk like we have some sort of business relationship. She literally told me last year that she would send me a large sum of money if I wrote her on xmas and her birthday. I wrote her only once because her birthday is in mid december and I didn't see much point in writing another letter, and she pretty much has ignored me ever since.

Dude it just sounds like your grandmother misses you and that you're being a dick and ignoring her. Her offering the money wasn't serious. She clearly just misses you a lot and is upset that you are ignoring her. She's your damn grandmother you psycho.

I was careful with my words. Wealth makes morality an uphill battle, they aren't intertwined with fiscal savviness.

How do you think you become wealthy? You don't do a satanic ritual and sell your sole to the devil. You do it through being fiscally savy.

Yes it does. Again, it takes care to navigate finances without becoming so broke or so ambitious that you don't suffer. That's why I advocate a non currency system.

So because you have to put effort into saving money, you advocate a non currency system? Doesn't logically follow. Furthermore there are a shitton of problems including doctors being paid with chickens or eggs, etc.