Jump to topic:

The Austrians, Demand and the Long Run

Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 4:05:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Suppose we are in an initial long-run equilibrium where the price of cigars is $5.

Suddenly there is a huge increase in demand for cigars and the price rises to $8. This means that for each cigar sold, the cigar manufacturers make $3 more than normal profit on each cigar.

But this just means that more factors of production will move into the field of cigar production, this increase in supply of cigars will bring the price of cigars back to the cost of production, $5.

In other words, in the long-run, demand appears to make no difference at all.

Where did I go wrong in my analysis?
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 4:12:09 PM
At 2/2/2011 4:09:57 PM, belle wrote:
clearly it makes a difference in how many cigars are produced.

True. I suppose I was being a bit sloppy. But it doesn't make a difference in the price at which the cigar is sold.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 4:14:06 PM
A clear lack of understanding of the supply and demand curve.

When there is more demand the demand curve shifts to the right. In the long term the supply curve does not inherently shift to the right it stays the same. While more quantity is being produced as a result of the higher demand, the cost of production isn't inherently going to become cheaper meaning the price will stay at a heightened rate until advances in technology, cheaper labor, or economies of scale shift the supply curve to the right or the demand lessens to its previous rate causing the demand curve to be shifted back to the left in its original position.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 4:14:19 PM
At 2/2/2011 4:12:09 PM, Reasoning wrote:

True. I suppose I was being a bit sloppy. But it doesn't make a difference in the price at which the cigar is sold.

You have more workers, natural resources that flow into making cigars. Workers might need to be paid more, in order to satisfy the increase in workers, as well as natural resources will cost more, due to its depletion.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 4:14:43 PM
At 2/2/2011 4:12:09 PM, Reasoning wrote:

It does make a difference, your reasoning is faulty.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 4:16:03 PM
TL;DR

There is a fundamental difference between shifting the demand curve, and moving along the supply curve.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 4:17:40 PM
At 2/2/2011 4:14:06 PM, askbob wrote:
While more quantity is being produced as a result of the higher demand, the cost of production isn't inherently going to become cheaper

I never said it would. In fact, I assumed it would remain the same. That is $5. Or, rather, $5 minus the interest rate over the period of production.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 4:20:00 PM
At 2/2/2011 4:14:19 PM, darkkermit wrote:
You have more workers, natural resources that flow into making cigars. Workers might need to be paid more, in order to satisfy the increase in workers, as well as natural resources will cost more, due to its depletion.

I was more referring to the impact that demand has on the long-run price of the cigar.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 4:20:22 PM
At 2/2/2011 4:17:40 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 2/2/2011 4:14:06 PM, askbob wrote:
While more quantity is being produced as a result of the higher demand, the cost of production isn't inherently going to become cheaper

I never said it would. In fact, I assumed it would remain the same. That is $5. Or, rather, $5 minus the interest rate over the period of production.

When you argued that the price would remain the over the long term you made that inference.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 4:21:07 PM
At 2/2/2011 4:20:22 PM, askbob wrote:
When you argued that the price would remain the over the long term you made that inference.

Come again?
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 4:27:32 PM
At 2/2/2011 4:21:07 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 2/2/2011 4:20:22 PM, askbob wrote:

Come again?

You are making the assumption that the supply curve shifts as a reaction to a demand curve shifting. This is not so.

Maybe in a perfectly competitive market where all production resources cost the same. However such an industry does not exist nor do the resources.

There is a limited number of farmland, workers, resources, etc. As you consume more the price exponentially increases.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 4:32:27 PM
"It is, therefore, strictly correct to say, that the value of things which can be increased in quantity at pleasure, does not depend (except accidentally, and during the time necessary for production to adjust itself), upon demand and supply; on the contrary, demand and supply depend upon it. There is a demand for a certain quantity of the
commodity at its natural or cost value, and to that the supply in the long run endeavours to conform." - John Stuart Mill
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 4:41:42 PM
I don't give a shitt about nonsensical quotes. Use logic.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 4:43:22 PM
At 2/2/2011 4:27:32 PM, askbob wrote:
You are making the assumption that the supply curve shifts as a reaction to a demand curve shifting. This is not so.

If you insist on using your graphs, fine.

I'm not saying that the supply curve shifts, I'm saying that the supply curve is horizontal or perfectly elastic. It does not shift.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 4:45:02 PM
Furthermore your quote says that supply will adjust to meet demand. I agree with this. I just don't agree that the supply curve will be shifted to match the demand shift.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 4:47:50 PM
At 2/2/2011 4:43:22 PM, Reasoning wrote:

I'm not saying that the supply curve shifts, I'm saying that the supply curve is horizontal or perfectly elastic. It does not shift.

LOL well then you're ignoring the obvious supply and demand curves of factors of production.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 4:51:07 PM
At 2/2/2011 4:47:50 PM, askbob wrote:
LOL well then you're ignoring the obvious supply and demand curves of factors of production.

Do you deny that in long-run equilibrium there is an equalization of profit across the fields of production?
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 4:57:55 PM
At 2/2/2011 4:51:07 PM, Reasoning wrote:

Do you deny that in long-run equilibrium there is an equalization of profit across the fields of production?

THE AMOUNT OF FIRMS COMPETING IN AN INDUSTRY HAS ABSOLUTELY SHITT TO DO WITH THE REAL PRICE OF A GOOD

nac

It has to do with the price given to the consumer and the amount of profit made off of the real price.

Consumer Price = Real Price + Profit

The amount of firms within the industry affect the consumer price and the profit. They have little impact on the real price with the exception of one inventing a more efficient means of production but that's largely besides the point and is ceterius paribus.

The Real price is a product of the demand and supply of the product being produced.

Two different issues.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 10:46:45 PM
At 2/2/2011 4:57:55 PM, askbob wrote:
At 2/2/2011 4:51:07 PM, Reasoning wrote:

THE AMOUNT OF FIRMS COMPETING IN AN INDUSTRY HAS ABSOLUTELY SHITT TO DO WITH THE REAL PRICE OF A GOOD

I'm to sure what that has to do with this example.

It has to do with the price given to the consumer and the amount of profit made off of the real price.

We're in long-run equilibrium.

Consumer Price = Real Price + Profit

I haven't heard that before and I'm not sure what it means.

The Real price is a product of the demand and supply of the product being produced.

My argument is that demand and supply are determined by cost of production.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 11:02:02 PM
The price will drop, but not necessarily to the original $5.

Land that was previously not used for cigars will now be used for cigars; this land is probably less optimal for the production of cigars. Additionally, they will have start-up costs that have to be met through the sale of cigars. The price will be slightly above $5.

As for the supply and demand curves, as the demand curve has shifted, the equilibrium point has changed, and more cigars will be supplied to meet an increased demand.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 11:30:22 PM
At 2/2/2011 4:05:59 PM, Reasoning wrote:
Suppose we are in an initial long-run equilibrium where the price of cigars is $5.

Suddenly there is a huge increase in demand for cigars and the price rises to $8. This means that for each cigar sold, the cigar manufacturers make $3 more than normal profit on each cigar.

But this just means that more factors of production will move into the field of cigar production, this increase in supply of cigars will bring the price of cigars back to the cost of production, $5.

The factors of production will cost more and raise the cost of producing cigars. So the price will stay at 8.

In other words, in the long-run, demand appears to make no difference at all.

Where did I go wrong in my analysis?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 11:35:03 PM
Your argument assumes they can simply produce more at no extra cost to them, if that were the case they weren't producing at the margin in the first place.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 11:47:21 PM
At 2/2/2011 4:43:22 PM, Reasoning wrote:

If the supply of cigars is perfectly elastic a change in the demand curve wouldn't change the price. But the supply of cigars isn't perfectly elastic.

Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 12:23:02 AM
At 2/2/2011 11:02:02 PM, mongeese wrote:
The price will drop, but not necessarily to the original $5.

Land that was previously not used for cigars will now be used for cigars; this land is probably less optimal for the production of cigars. Additionally, they will have start-up costs that have to be met through the sale of cigars. The price will be slightly above $5.

As for the supply and demand curves, as the demand curve has shifted, the equilibrium point has changed, and more cigars will be supplied to meet an increased demand.

Ah, yes, that makes sense.
TheAtheistAllegiance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 4:11:08 PM
Askbob and Mongeese did a good job pointing out the issues. All land, labor, capital, and entrepreneurship is scarce, so prices would rise exponentially due to this limited supply. Plus, there's barriers to entry and niches, which will also limit the ability of supply to coordinate with demand at a price of $5. So, the price would inevitably rise...
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 4:27:03 PM
At 2/3/2011 4:11:08 PM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:
All land, labor, capital, and entrepreneurship is scarce, so prices would rise exponentially due to this limited supply.
Are you kidding? They're all SCARCE but the supply isn't limited to a fixed amount. Even stuff like land, which is just kind of naturally there, isn't valuable in itself. The uses for land/labor/capital all can be improved so you can do more with less.

Plus, there's barriers to entry and niches, which will also limit the ability of supply to coordinate with demand at a price of $5.
So that's why its a long run prediction. Maybe someone wouldn't front up the cost of entering the market at the current discount rate/risk. It just means people go and put other resources to more economic uses. Problem?

So, the price would inevitably rise...
http://www.vtunali.com...
Things that are so interesting:

Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 9:48:30 PM
At 2/3/2011 4:27:03 PM, Sieben wrote:

To be fair, we were assuming there were no changes in technology that would make cigar production more efficient.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 10:03:10 PM
At 2/3/2011 9:48:30 PM, Reasoning wrote:

To be fair, we were assuming there were no changes in technology that would make cigar production more efficient.

Ya I don't see an equilibrium price on that graph.
Things that are so interesting:

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 12:41:21 PM
At 2/3/2011 10:03:10 PM, Sieben wrote:
At 2/3/2011 9:48:30 PM, Reasoning wrote:

Ya I don't see an equilibrium price on that graph.

equilibrium price assumes ceteris paribus. It's theoretical, however it does not occur in the real world for a long time, since the world is constantly changing.
Open borders debate: