Jump to topic:

Examples of Monopolies

I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 12:52:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
In real life. Part of my economics homework. Google searches have proved rather fruitless. Also, are the armed forces a monopoly, and if so of what (and don't say force).
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 12:57:36 PM
The government is a monopoly on the law of the land.

Tobacco companies are cartelized under the MSA http://en.wikipedia.org...

Many states are ABCS http://en.wikipedia.org... Which results in something like 26% annual profits in the beverage industry. http://static.seekingalpha.com...

Also, JK rowling has a monopoly on books written by JK rowling.

Marriages used to be a way for the Church to monopolize sex. So if you were excommunicated it meant you thought you couldn't get laid.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 12:59:22 PM
At 2/4/2011 12:55:51 PM, wjmelements wrote:
What was the provided definition of monopoly?

The assumptions are there is one firm in the industry (These include cartels), they can set the quantity of the product supplied or the price charged but not both, and there are barriers to entering the industry.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 1:00:55 PM
At 2/4/2011 12:52:41 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
In real life. Part of my economics homework. Google searches have proved rather fruitless. Also, are the armed forces a monopoly, and if so of what (and don't say force).

I'd say that there aren't really any monopolies, but more of trusts. We have some markets where there are so few competitors, and that they work together so much that there isn't all that much actual competition.

I suppose a good example would be computer processors, you have Intel and AMD, two options, deal with it.

Their biggest competitor is not each other, but their own past products (the need to keep doing better then themselves to keep selling).

The military isn't really a monopoly, since there are private security forces and that they use contractors (who compete with each other for the contracts, to a degree).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 3:28:09 PM
Apple monopolizes its technology.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 9:11:27 PM
The MLB and NBA are essentially monopoliles. Of course, neither are essential to living in the slightest.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 10:47:24 PM
At 2/4/2011 9:11:27 PM, mongoose wrote:
The MLB and NBA are essentially monopoliles. Of course, neither are essential to living in the slightest.

eh... they compete with other sports for attention :/

and college programs..
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 10:48:53 PM
if the "market" is that Particular sport than they might be considered monopolies...

but (at least so far as Consumption is concerned) I think it makes more sense to look at their Market being a broader sports market
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2011 8:14:49 AM
You can use the case of Internet Explorer and Microsoft. It had about 90% of the market share, wherewith it was accused of monopoly by Europe and even Opera, which has its own browser. That forced Microsoft to give the users of Windows 7 the option to choose between various browsers during the setup of the operating system.