Jump to topic:

Atheisti /"Freethinking" Colleges

jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 8:11:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Is there such a thing? Also, is anyone aware of colleges that have an intellectual and free thinking vibe among students? Relatively ignorant on the subject and it would be nice to know.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 8:32:28 PM
At 2/19/2011 8:11:51 PM, jat93 wrote:
Is there such a thing? Also, is anyone aware of colleges that have an intellectual and free thinking vibe among students? Relatively ignorant on the subject and it would be nice to know.:

I doubt there is a specifically "atheist" university, but most universities are certainly secular. Why would a university want to limit its demographic to only atheism?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 9:00:58 PM
At 2/19/2011 8:32:28 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Is there such a thing? Also, is anyone aware of colleges that have an intellectual and free thinking vibe among students? Relatively ignorant on the subject and it would be nice to know.:

I doubt there is a specifically "atheist" university, but most universities are certainly secular. Why would a university want to limit its demographic to only atheism?

to brainwash our children clearly!!! evil athiests!!!
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 9:39:17 PM
At 2/19/2011 8:32:28 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

hey, some universities certainly limit their demographics to christians or jews etc, so it's only fair, right? i think it would be quite awesome, especially because skeptics of any sort are almost always thought of as the odd ones out in this day and age...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 10:09:57 PM
hey, some universities certainly limit their demographics to christians or jews etc, so it's only fair, right?:

It's not the question of fairness that is my basis for the question.

i think it would be quite awesome, especially because skeptics of any sort are almost always thought of as the odd ones out in this day and age.:

Atheism is a non-belief, at least it's supposed to be. Universities are already devoted to secular education as it is. What is the purpose of creating an all-atheist school?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 12:09:23 PM
Fvck college, go to the library. If you want a "free thinking" education, whatever the hell that means, educate yourself.

Plus, I think there is something intrinsically retarded about denying people the right to give you money.. er.. I mean educate themselves in your facility simply because they are gullible and believe in magic.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 4:27:23 PM
i do agree that an atheist college would be somewhat self defeating, maybe even ironic given the lack of real creed or doctrine in atheistic thought. that i asked more out of curiosity than practicality. but i do really want to learn of colleges where the student body is known to be freethinking (not synonymous with atheistic) and intellectual. i think such colleges will also tend to be rather liberal. it's really not that i am interested in getting that kind of education per se. it's that i want to be surrounded by people who like to think, and think for themselves.

and i doubt most religious schools will by default reject people of other faiths (and their money) from the school. i for one attend a jewish high school. i'm sure someone who knows nothing about judaism could apply, but it would suck for him and be quite counterproductive, given that about half the day involves stuff he is assumed to have learned years ago.
Suitecake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 8:23:19 PM
Going off the soft definition of 'atheist,' where 'atheist' simply means 'lacking a belief in a God,' then most universities in the country are indeed 'atheistic.'

Some aren't, but if they do espouse a religious belief, they tend to advertise accordingly (since, for most of them, their only hope is appealing to a particular demographic).

While I don't have the statistics, I know of a number of religious institutions (Liberty University, Bob Jones, Pensacola, Oral Roberts) that will indeed reject an applicant if they do not ascribe to Christianity (or, for most of these mentioned, a particular strain of Christianity; liberals need not apply). I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of American, religious colleges/universities had similar requirements.

If they don't have a weekly chapel service, you'll probably do fine there.
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 4:57:14 PM
None are officially affiliated with atheism obviously. 'Elite' schools that aren't known to lean conservative, known left-leaning schools, and any school that is has a reputation for being 'intellectual' (which really means pseudo-intellectual of course) is probably going to have a disproportionate number of atheists. Atheism is to young people today like communism used to be (though I hope it sticks). I know that around 65% of Reed College's student body identifies as having no religion (no surprising, it's a left-leaning, rigorous school in Portland). I would bet that Swarthmore and UC Berkeley would be near the top of the list.

No really an important thing to consider IMO, though. Most good schools are going to have petty open minded atmospheres. I applied to Georgetown (a Jesuit university with a pro-establishment leaning) and I'm a libertarian atheist.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2011 1:00:32 PM
At 2/27/2011 7:15:54 PM, Awed wrote:
UC Berkeley and Brown are pretty "freethinking."

Very true.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
artwomyn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 2:13:47 PM
Is there such a thing? Also, is anyone aware of colleges that have an intellectual and free thinking vibe among students? Relatively ignorant on the subject and it would be nice to know.

There doesn't need to be Athiest colleges. A person's belief system about religion, is personal. People who identify as Christians, are free to attend Christian schools.
But that doesn't mean that there has to be Athiest colleges.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 4:08:54 PM
At 3/16/2011 2:13:47 PM, artwomyn wrote:

There doesn't need to be Athiest colleges. A person's belief system about religion, is personal. People who identify as Christians, are free to attend Christian schools.
But that doesn't mean that there has to be Athiest colleges.

you make no sense.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 9:39:37 PM
I see an "atheist" college as going against everything an educational institution stands for. An educational institution should be welcome to all perspectives and should not revolve around only one type of belief. Atheism is at its core is the disbelief in God, and science mostly is satisfactory from that perspective. Science does not assume that God exists and even seeks alternative to biblical explanations.