Jump to topic:

Debate.Org and college application

wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 7:40:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Is including a link to a debate.org profile or debate a good idea in college application?

Will they actually look it up, and how will they perceive it if they do?
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 7:57:15 PM
I thought about doing so, but I decided against it. It can probably hurt you more than it could help you -- I doubt they would look it up anyway.

If you must talk about DDO, you could give them a link if you want, but you're probably better off saying something like "In my free time, I am active in an online debating community where I'm ranked in the 99th percentile of debaters on a site with over 24,000 members."
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 8:00:11 PM
At 2/21/2011 7:57:15 PM, Nags wrote:
I thought about doing so, but I decided against it. It can probably hurt you more than it could help you -- I doubt they would look it up anyway.
If you must talk about DDO, you could give them a link if you want, but you're probably better off saying something like "In my free time, I am active in an online debating community where I'm ranked in the 99th percentile of debaters on a site with over 24,000 members."

The only way I see it can hurt me is if they held some sort of prejudice, and I understand that admissions personnel ignore that bias.
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 8:01:40 PM
I think it's a good idea. It's not like you're showing off your high rank in some video game, this is an academically oriented extracurricular.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 8:06:50 PM
At 2/21/2011 8:00:11 PM, wjmelements wrote:
The only way I see it can hurt me is if they held some sort of prejudice, and I understand that admissions personnel ignore that bias.

You're right, but there's always a stray who is biased. You hold relatively extreme views compared to mainstream America, and it would be a shame to see an admissions officer punish you for this.

One of the reasons I didn't include my DDO profile is that I had a debate where I was Con on the resolution "Racism should not exist" -- now, I won that debate and I don't necessarily agree with the resolution, but I know that admissions personnel wouldn't appreciate it.

It's a personal choice. Just make sure there's not any risqué information anywhere on DDO that could be used against you.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 8:12:47 PM
At 2/21/2011 8:06:50 PM, Nags wrote:
Just make sure there's not any risqué information anywhere on DDO that could be used against you.

I'm sure there is somewhere, but I doubt they'd take the time to search.

My most criminal behavior on this site, to my understanding, was being accused of membership in the CWO (http://www.debate.org...), which formed when my power was out. I was included in the message, but had no activity, except a statement copied into the linked debate's comment section.
I've had my share of controversial debates though.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 8:19:00 PM
At 2/21/2011 8:12:47 PM, wjmelements wrote:
I'm sure there is somewhere, but I doubt they'd take the time to search.

Correct. Even if they do look at the link to a profile or debate, it's unlikely they'd snoop around much.

CWO

I doubt they'd find this in the first place, never mind find it controversial.

I've had my share of controversial debates though.

This is where I said including a link could hurt you more than it could help. It's your decision though. You might wanna try it with your reach schools, and not risk it with your target and safety schools.

I wonder if anyone has included their DDO information on their app before.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 8:37:28 PM
At 2/21/2011 8:34:08 PM, mongeese wrote:
I think you've had more than your "share" of contoversial debates. Murder is just, anyone?

Eh, that's on my 4th page.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 8:49:12 PM
I highly doubt that any admissions board is going to take the time to look up your DDO profile. Just mentioning that you are a part of this community is enough. The whole point is that it makes you look super nerdy (that you would spend your free time doing this) which is a plus. From your test scores and writing skills they'll gauge your intelligence and capabilities, and knowing that you're involved here means you have a significant interest in learning indicating that you can succeed at their university. They don't care about your beliefs or any of your debates, period. You're just a faceless number to them; no need to convince yourself of otherwise.
President of DDO
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 8:51:53 PM
It's funny because I'm a junior in high school and I was just thinking of this.
I've decided to do it. Remember, colleges want 1) individual personalities who can think for themselves and have their own opinions. 2) commitment, this shows a "passion" for something and some amount of dedication. 3) it shows that at least you're not on facebook all day long doing nothing good with your free time. (or maybe you are, but they don't have to know that!)
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 8:54:20 PM
I listed Debate.org as my favorite website on one of my college application supplements.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 9:23:58 PM
At 2/21/2011 7:57:15 PM, Nags wrote:
you're probably better off saying something like "In my free time, I am active in an online debating community where I'm ranked in the 99th percentile of debaters on a site with over 24,000 members."
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 9:59:07 AM
I would think it is somewhere between including a link to your facebook page and listing your favorite youtube videos.

No college admissions person is going to:
A.) Have ever heard of debate.org
B.) Bother looking at your profile on a website.
C.) Lend any credence to you stating your frequent any particular website anyway.

So I don't see how it can help, I only see how it can hurt if the person thinks "This person actually places importance on their activities on an internet forum?".
Discipulus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 3:44:40 PM
At 2/21/2011 8:34:08 PM, mongeese wrote:
I think you've had more than your "share" of contoversial debates. Murder is just, anyone?

An epic debate. wjmelements was clearly right however, so I doubt they'd hold it against him if they chose to read it.

On topic though, I wouldn't do it. Mention it, maybe, but depending on the college I doubt they'd receive it well.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 3:50:56 PM
At 2/21/2011 7:40:41 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Is including a link to a debate.org profile or debate a good idea in college application?

Will they actually look it up, and how will they perceive it if they do?:

I wouldn't do it if I were you.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Discipulus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2011 7:50:30 AM
I've been thinking on this more. I don't think you should give out stuff like your profile name, etc, but I think showing them a few of your best debates would do no harm. That way it would be more like intellectual writing done in your free time.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2011 4:27:44 AM
At 2/26/2011 7:50:30 AM, Discipulus wrote:
I've been thinking on this more. I don't think you should give out stuff like your profile name, etc, but I think showing them a few of your best debates would do no harm. That way it would be more like intellectual writing done in your free time.

How do you expect them to see a debate without seeing the profile name?
Discipulus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2011 6:08:58 PM
At 2/27/2011 4:27:44 AM, Nags wrote:

Sorry, I misspoke. I was trying to say that wjmelements should print out a few of his best debates and present them like his personal intellectual essays, instead of giving a link to his profile or whatever. Them seeing his profile name doesn't really matter.

It's all about the presentation.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2011 7:18:04 PM
At 2/27/2011 6:08:58 PM, Discipulus wrote:
At 2/27/2011 4:27:44 AM, Nags wrote:

Sorry, I misspoke. I was trying to say that wjmelements should print out a few of his best debates and present them like his personal intellectual essays, instead of giving a link to his profile or whatever. Them seeing his profile name doesn't really matter.

It's all about the presentation.

Do I give it in print form?
Discipulus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 8:31:28 PM
At 2/27/2011 7:18:04 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Do I give it in print form?

That's what I was thinking. You may not want to print it out as a webpage though. I've personally had trouble doing that.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 11:47:21 AM
I've mentioned debate as a hobby during various interviews before, but I wouldn't go further than that. The odds of a personal profile being actively reviewed by an admissions board are not in your favor, nor are the odds that such a profile would be viewed as a positive.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 11:56:27 AM
At 2/21/2011 8:49:12 PM, Danielle wrote:
I highly doubt that any admissions board is going to take the time to look up your DDO profile. Just mentioning that you are a part of this community is enough. The whole point is that it makes you look super nerdy (that you would spend your free time doing this) which is a plus. From your test scores and writing skills they'll gauge your intelligence and capabilities, and knowing that you're involved here means you have a significant interest in learning indicating that you can succeed at their university. They don't care about your beliefs or any of your debates, period. You're just a faceless number to them; no need to convince yourself of otherwise.

This
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.