Total Posts:29|Showing Posts:1-29
Jump to topic:

Extreme patriotism schools

Malfunction
Posts: 7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 9:37:00 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
It seems like every textbook I've received in my US history classes consists of a long-winded rant on how awesome America is. These textbooks, especially the newer ones, omit or twist facts to make America look better. While the country we live in is pretty remarkable, we have made plenty of mistakes in the past. It makes me extremely mad that teachers feed their students with patriotic propaganda. Yes, it is extremely difficult to write a completely biased text, but these books are way too extreme in their love of America and "American heroes."
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 5:19:55 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/3/2011 9:37:00 AM, Malfunction wrote:
It seems like every textbook I've received in my US history classes consists of a long-winded rant on how awesome America is. These textbooks, especially the newer ones, omit or twist facts to make America look better. While the country we live in is pretty remarkable, we have made plenty of mistakes in the past. It makes me extremely mad that teachers feed their students with patriotic propaganda. Yes, it is extremely difficult to write a completely biased text, but these books are way too extreme in their love of America and "American heroes."

Damn straight. I've only read Russian and British history text books but I hate how they go out of their way to make the respective country sound awesome.
Patriots really annoy me.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 3:55:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Ha! They're using the People's HIstory of the US in the inner city here in BOston, soooo accurate, and soooooo kind to the US. Howard Zinn is an abomination to history.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 6:56:33 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/3/2011 9:37:00 AM, Malfunction wrote:
It seems like every textbook I've received in my US history classes consists of a long-winded rant on how awesome America is. These textbooks, especially the newer ones, omit or twist facts to make America look better. While the country we live in is pretty remarkable, we have made plenty of mistakes in the past. It makes me extremely mad that teachers feed their students with patriotic propaganda. Yes, it is extremely difficult to write a completely biased text, but these books are way too extreme in their love of America and "American heroes.":

I don't appreciate revisionist history regardless, whether it blasphemes the United States or whether it omits historical facts.

I am surprised, however, that you've only seen one side of the text book. As Innomen pointed out, Howard Zinn (probably the only "critically acclaimed" textbook author besides John Nash) is well-known for his demonization of American history.

Moral of the story: Don't omit and don't exaggerate, just objectively state the facts and nothing more.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 8:33:35 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/7/2011 6:56:33 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 3/3/2011 9:37:00 AM, Malfunction wrote:
It seems like every textbook I've received in my US history classes consists of a long-winded rant on how awesome America is. These textbooks, especially the newer ones, omit or twist facts to make America look better. While the country we live in is pretty remarkable, we have made plenty of mistakes in the past. It makes me extremely mad that teachers feed their students with patriotic propaganda. Yes, it is extremely difficult to write a completely biased text, but these books are way too extreme in their love of America and "American heroes.":

I don't appreciate revisionist history regardless, whether it blasphemes the United States or whether it omits historical facts.

I am surprised, however, that you've only seen one side of the text book. As Innomen pointed out, Howard Zinn (probably the only "critically acclaimed" textbook author besides John Nash) is well-known for his demonization of American history.

Moral of the story: Don't omit and don't exaggerate, just objectively state the facts and nothing more.

By the way, i had a conversation with brit when i was on vacation, and although fairly intelligent, she seemed to have no knowledge on American history at all. They don't teach the American revolution in the schools there; now i can understand a little bit of embarrassment in the British army losing to a bunch of farmers and shoe makers, but still, it is a fairly significant piece of world history in the context of the enlightenment.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 8:57:17 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/7/2011 8:33:35 AM, innomen wrote:
At 3/7/2011 6:56:33 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 3/3/2011 9:37:00 AM, Malfunction wrote:
It seems like every textbook I've received in my US history classes consists of a long-winded rant on how awesome America is. These textbooks, especially the newer ones, omit or twist facts to make America look better. While the country we live in is pretty remarkable, we have made plenty of mistakes in the past. It makes me extremely mad that teachers feed their students with patriotic propaganda. Yes, it is extremely difficult to write a completely biased text, but these books are way too extreme in their love of America and "American heroes.":

I don't appreciate revisionist history regardless, whether it blasphemes the United States or whether it omits historical facts.

I am surprised, however, that you've only seen one side of the text book. As Innomen pointed out, Howard Zinn (probably the only "critically acclaimed" textbook author besides John Nash) is well-known for his demonization of American history.

Moral of the story: Don't omit and don't exaggerate, just objectively state the facts and nothing more.

By the way, i had a conversation with brit when i was on vacation, and although fairly intelligent, she seemed to have no knowledge on American history at all. They don't teach the American revolution in the schools there; now i can understand a little bit of embarrassment in the British army losing to a bunch of farmers and shoe makers, but still, it is a fairly significant piece of world history in the context of the enlightenment.

To be honest I can't remember what schools do or do not teach about history, most of my knowledge comes from post-school and private study. I am pretty certain every school child is taught about the American revolution, not in great detail but then it is not very important to us.

And you didn't defeat the British Army, the financiers of a German mercenary army looked at a balance sheet and gave up.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 9:03:30 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/7/2011 8:57:17 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 3/7/2011 8:33:35 AM, innomen wrote:
At 3/7/2011 6:56:33 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 3/3/2011 9:37:00 AM, Malfunction wrote:
It seems like every textbook I've received in my US history classes consists of a long-winded rant on how awesome America is. These textbooks, especially the newer ones, omit or twist facts to make America look better. While the country we live in is pretty remarkable, we have made plenty of mistakes in the past. It makes me extremely mad that teachers feed their students with patriotic propaganda. Yes, it is extremely difficult to write a completely biased text, but these books are way too extreme in their love of America and "American heroes.":

I don't appreciate revisionist history regardless, whether it blasphemes the United States or whether it omits historical facts.

I am surprised, however, that you've only seen one side of the text book. As Innomen pointed out, Howard Zinn (probably the only "critically acclaimed" textbook author besides John Nash) is well-known for his demonization of American history.

Moral of the story: Don't omit and don't exaggerate, just objectively state the facts and nothing more.

By the way, i had a conversation with brit when i was on vacation, and although fairly intelligent, she seemed to have no knowledge on American history at all. They don't teach the American revolution in the schools there; now i can understand a little bit of embarrassment in the British army losing to a bunch of farmers and shoe makers, but still, it is a fairly significant piece of world history in the context of the enlightenment.

To be honest I can't remember what schools do or do not teach about history, most of my knowledge comes from post-school and private study. I am pretty certain every school child is taught about the American revolution, not in great detail but then it is not very important to us.

And you didn't defeat the British Army, the financiers of a German mercenary army looked at a balance sheet and gave up.

For the record, I was taught about the American revolution, but as C_N said, it just isn't that relevent to us, so it wasn't in massive detail.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 9:45:00 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/7/2011 9:03:30 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 3/7/2011 8:57:17 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 3/7/2011 8:33:35 AM, innomen wrote:
At 3/7/2011 6:56:33 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 3/3/2011 9:37:00 AM, Malfunction wrote:
It seems like every textbook I've received in my US history classes consists of a long-winded rant on how awesome America is. These textbooks, especially the newer ones, omit or twist facts to make America look better. While the country we live in is pretty remarkable, we have made plenty of mistakes in the past. It makes me extremely mad that teachers feed their students with patriotic propaganda. Yes, it is extremely difficult to write a completely biased text, but these books are way too extreme in their love of America and "American heroes.":

I don't appreciate revisionist history regardless, whether it blasphemes the United States or whether it omits historical facts.

I am surprised, however, that you've only seen one side of the text book. As Innomen pointed out, Howard Zinn (probably the only "critically acclaimed" textbook author besides John Nash) is well-known for his demonization of American history.

Moral of the story: Don't omit and don't exaggerate, just objectively state the facts and nothing more.

By the way, i had a conversation with brit when i was on vacation, and although fairly intelligent, she seemed to have no knowledge on American history at all. They don't teach the American revolution in the schools there; now i can understand a little bit of embarrassment in the British army losing to a bunch of farmers and shoe makers, but still, it is a fairly significant piece of world history in the context of the enlightenment.

To be honest I can't remember what schools do or do not teach about history, most of my knowledge comes from post-school and private study. I am pretty certain every school child is taught about the American revolution, not in great detail but then it is not very important to us.

And you didn't defeat the British Army, the financiers of a German mercenary army looked at a balance sheet and gave up.

For the record, I was taught about the American revolution, but as C_N said, it just isn't that relevent to us, so it wasn't in massive detail.

Come on, the declaration of independence is a statement of the inherent rights of man, and a clear document that comes from the enlightenment. It's there with the Magna Carta (which we had to learn about) and challenged the accepted notion of divine right. This revolution was the first over throw of colonial rule from the old European powers, and was the precursor of the French revolution. Out of curiosity, did you learn about the French revolution?

And yeah, they were farmers and shoemakers. General Knox was a book seller.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 9:52:12 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/7/2011 9:45:00 AM, innomen wrote:
At 3/7/2011 9:03:30 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 3/7/2011 8:57:17 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 3/7/2011 8:33:35 AM, innomen wrote:
At 3/7/2011 6:56:33 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 3/3/2011 9:37:00 AM, Malfunction wrote:
It seems like every textbook I've received in my US history classes consists of a long-winded rant on how awesome America is. These textbooks, especially the newer ones, omit or twist facts to make America look better. While the country we live in is pretty remarkable, we have made plenty of mistakes in the past. It makes me extremely mad that teachers feed their students with patriotic propaganda. Yes, it is extremely difficult to write a completely biased text, but these books are way too extreme in their love of America and "American heroes.":

I don't appreciate revisionist history regardless, whether it blasphemes the United States or whether it omits historical facts.

I am surprised, however, that you've only seen one side of the text book. As Innomen pointed out, Howard Zinn (probably the only "critically acclaimed" textbook author besides John Nash) is well-known for his demonization of American history.

Moral of the story: Don't omit and don't exaggerate, just objectively state the facts and nothing more.

By the way, i had a conversation with brit when i was on vacation, and although fairly intelligent, she seemed to have no knowledge on American history at all. They don't teach the American revolution in the schools there; now i can understand a little bit of embarrassment in the British army losing to a bunch of farmers and shoe makers, but still, it is a fairly significant piece of world history in the context of the enlightenment.

To be honest I can't remember what schools do or do not teach about history, most of my knowledge comes from post-school and private study. I am pretty certain every school child is taught about the American revolution, not in great detail but then it is not very important to us.

And you didn't defeat the British Army, the financiers of a German mercenary army looked at a balance sheet and gave up.

For the record, I was taught about the American revolution, but as C_N said, it just isn't that relevent to us, so it wasn't in massive detail.

Come on, the declaration of independence is a statement of the inherent rights of man, and a clear document that comes from the enlightenment.

So what? It is really not that important in the grand scheme of history, certainly not British history.

It's there with the Magna Carta (which we had to learn about) and challenged the accepted notion of divine right.

The English civil war which predates it challenged and notion of divine right a lot more effectively.

This revolution was the first over throw of colonial rule from the old European powers, and was the precursor of the French revolution. Out of curiosity, did you learn about the French revolution?

I don't believe it was the precursor at all actually. But yes, the French revolution was handled in far greater depth, but then it's also a far more important event.

And yeah, they were farmers and shoemakers. General Knox was a book seller.

And?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 10:05:23 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/7/2011 9:52:12 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 3/7/2011 9:45:00 AM, innomen wrote:
At 3/7/2011 9:03:30 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 3/7/2011 8:57:17 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 3/7/2011 8:33:35 AM, innomen wrote:
At 3/7/2011 6:56:33 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 3/3/2011 9:37:00 AM, Malfunction wrote:
It seems like every textbook I've received in my US history classes consists of a long-winded rant on how awesome America is. These textbooks, especially the newer ones, omit or twist facts to make America look better. While the country we live in is pretty remarkable, we have made plenty of mistakes in the past. It makes me extremely mad that teachers feed their students with patriotic propaganda. Yes, it is extremely difficult to write a completely biased text, but these books are way too extreme in their love of America and "American heroes.":

I don't appreciate revisionist history regardless, whether it blasphemes the United States or whether it omits historical facts.

I am surprised, however, that you've only seen one side of the text book. As Innomen pointed out, Howard Zinn (probably the only "critically acclaimed" textbook author besides John Nash) is well-known for his demonization of American history.

Moral of the story: Don't omit and don't exaggerate, just objectively state the facts and nothing more.

By the way, i had a conversation with brit when i was on vacation, and although fairly intelligent, she seemed to have no knowledge on American history at all. They don't teach the American revolution in the schools there; now i can understand a little bit of embarrassment in the British army losing to a bunch of farmers and shoe makers, but still, it is a fairly significant piece of world history in the context of the enlightenment.

To be honest I can't remember what schools do or do not teach about history, most of my knowledge comes from post-school and private study. I am pretty certain every school child is taught about the American revolution, not in great detail but then it is not very important to us.

And you didn't defeat the British Army, the financiers of a German mercenary army looked at a balance sheet and gave up.

For the record, I was taught about the American revolution, but as C_N said, it just isn't that relevent to us, so it wasn't in massive detail.

Come on, the declaration of independence is a statement of the inherent rights of man, and a clear document that comes from the enlightenment.

So what? It is really not that important in the grand scheme of history, certainly not British history.


It's there with the Magna Carta (which we had to learn about) and challenged the accepted notion of divine right.

The English civil war which predates it challenged and notion of divine right a lot more effectively.

I don't really think much changed. It was an important statement in history, but the nature of the monarchy really didn't change in 1215.
This revolution was the first over throw of colonial rule from the old European powers, and was the precursor of the French revolution. Out of curiosity, did you learn about the French revolution?

I don't believe it was the precursor at all actually. But yes, the French revolution was handled in far greater depth, but then it's also a far more important event.

Of course it was (both the French revolution taught in greater detail, and the American revolution as being the precursor). Even though it was a failed revolution, and things eventually devolved to the usual European insanity of one maniac trying to take over the continent, oh and then going back to a monarchy again. Whereas the American revolution resulted in a constitutional republic with something as the Bill of Rights which actually puts limitations on the power of government guaranties the rights of man.
And yeah, they were farmers and shoemakers. General Knox was a book seller.

And?
British have a reputation for their pride.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 10:11:52 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/7/2011 10:05:23 AM, innomen wrote:
At 3/7/2011 9:52:12 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

I don't really think much changed. It was an important statement in history, but the nature of the monarchy really didn't change in 1215.

Yea I think Magna Carta is probably overrated, the English civil war however re-wrote the monarchy. Though Charles II believed in the divine right of Kings, he never acted on it.

This revolution was the first over throw of colonial rule from the old European powers, and was the precursor of the French revolution. Out of curiosity, did you learn about the French revolution?

I don't believe it was the precursor at all actually. But yes, the French revolution was handled in far greater depth, but then it's also a far more important event.

Of course it was (both the French revolution taught in greater detail, and the American revolution as being the precursor).

By precursor do you mean that the American revolution led to the French revolution, becauase I am not sure thats the case.

Even though it was a failed revolution, and things eventually devolved to the usual European insanity of one maniac trying to take over the continent, oh and then going back to a monarchy again. Whereas the American revolution resulted in a constitutional republic with something as the Bill of Rights which actually puts limitations on the power of government guaranties the rights of man.

However Napoleon wreaked permanent political changes, not the ones that he wanted of course and set up Europe for futher debacles.

And yeah, they were farmers and shoemakers. General Knox was a book seller.

And?
British have a reputation for their pride.

Again... you didn't defeat the British. You defeated the German mercs of an insane German King!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 10:22:18 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/7/2011 10:11:52 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 3/7/2011 10:05:23 AM, innomen wrote:
At 3/7/2011 9:52:12 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

I don't really think much changed. It was an important statement in history, but the nature of the monarchy really didn't change in 1215.

Yea I think Magna Carta is probably overrated, the English civil war however re-wrote the monarchy. Though Charles II believed in the divine right of Kings, he never acted on it.

This revolution was the first over throw of colonial rule from the old European powers, and was the precursor of the French revolution. Out of curiosity, did you learn about the French revolution?

I don't believe it was the precursor at all actually. But yes, the French revolution was handled in far greater depth, but then it's also a far more important event.

Of course it was (both the French revolution taught in greater detail, and the American revolution as being the precursor).

By precursor do you mean that the American revolution led to the French revolution, becauase I am not sure thats the case.

No, not cause at all, but an inspiration, and also a product of the enlightenment. However, i am guessing, if it was timed the other way around, the French revolution would be less of an inspiration to the Americans.
Even though it was a failed revolution, and things eventually devolved to the usual European insanity of one maniac trying to take over the continent, oh and then going back to a monarchy again. Whereas the American revolution resulted in a constitutional republic with something as the Bill of Rights which actually puts limitations on the power of government guaranties the rights of man.

However Napoleon wreaked permanent political changes, not the ones that he wanted of course and set up Europe for futher debacles.

Yeah, not much really changed other than some borders. I don't see European civilization leaping forward as a result of Napoleon.
And yeah, they were farmers and shoemakers. General Knox was a book seller.

And?
British have a reputation for their pride.

Again... you didn't defeat the British. You defeated the German mercs of an insane German King!
pfffffft. The British flags were gone, and there were many dead brits around. From where i sit, the brits were beaten.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 10:28:51 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/7/2011 10:22:18 AM, innomen wrote:

Yeah, not much really changed other than some borders. I don't see European civilization leaping forward as a result of Napoleon.

Seriously? You don't think 20 years of glorious revolution did not alter the perceptions of the people? The French Monarchy did not do too well after the restoration you know.

And yeah, they were farmers and shoemakers. General Knox was a book seller.

And?
British have a reputation for their pride.

Again... you didn't defeat the British. You defeated the German mercs of an insane German King!
pfffffft. The British flags were gone, and there were many dead brits around. From where i sit, the brits were beaten.

Mostly Germans.
In any case we won the war of 1812... oh more accurately the canadians did. Ouch... feel the shame.

HAHA!!!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 10:35:56 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/7/2011 10:28:51 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 3/7/2011 10:22:18 AM, innomen wrote:

Yeah, not much really changed other than some borders. I don't see European civilization leaping forward as a result of Napoleon.

Seriously? You don't think 20 years of glorious revolution did not alter the perceptions of the people? The French Monarchy did not do too well after the restoration you know.

No i don't think the perceptions were greatly altered by Napoleon. Yeah, i know they didn't do great but all the monarchies were beginning to decline in the 1800's, and Napoleon had less to do with that than the progression of the enlightenment.
And yeah, they were farmers and shoemakers. General Knox was a book seller.

And?
British have a reputation for their pride.

Again... you didn't defeat the British. You defeated the German mercs of an insane German King!
pfffffft. The British flags were gone, and there were many dead brits around. From where i sit, the brits were beaten.

Mostly Germans.
In any case we won the war of 1812... oh more accurately the canadians did. Ouch... feel the shame.

HAHA!!!
We live with our shame; it's not the war of 1812, and our shame is taught in our schools ad nauseum.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 10:40:13 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/7/2011 10:35:56 AM, innomen wrote:
We live with our shame; it's not the war of 1812, and our shame is taught in our schools ad nauseum.

Seriously... I don't think anyone else has ever lost a war against Canada.... thats pretty bad.

Trolololol.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 10:47:29 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/7/2011 10:40:13 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 3/7/2011 10:35:56 AM, innomen wrote:
We live with our shame; it's not the war of 1812, and our shame is taught in our schools ad nauseum.

Seriously... I don't think anyone else has ever lost a war against Canada.... thats pretty bad.

Trolololol.

If you put it that way....
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 11:01:26 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
England - Selfhate for being conservative back in the day. [GCSE(14-16):Black History, Cold War, 1960s, WWI, WWII ;A level(16-18): Nazis, Bolsheviks, Apartheid, British India]
(Black history made me lol, it's different in private vs. public schools. When it comes to Empire and Britannia, they have a strong favor towards the Natives. Lastly, Hitler, Conservativism and Nationalim is evil, evil, evil - it's not just assumed, it's explicitly said)

France - "celle de redonner à notre pays le souffle de la grandeur et sa place dans l'Histoire." - Marine Le Pen
(She thinks France is butthurt about it's history, everyone PWNS the French... except for that one time)

Germany - "Begabtenprüfung(14-16): High Medieval, Renaissance, Cold War, WWI, WWII w.Nazism; Abitur(16-18): Nazi's, Political thought/ideology, Cold War w. Ostpolitik/denente.
(I would think the history would be more factual than analytical. Less focus of German Success)
'sup DDO -- july 2013
CrimsonTokala
Posts: 61
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2011 9:25:26 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
: At 3/3/2011 9:37:00 AM, Malfunction wrote:
It seems like every textbook I've received in my US history classes consists of a long-winded rant on how awesome America is. These textbooks, especially the newer ones, omit or twist facts to make America look better. While the country we live in is pretty remarkable, we have made plenty of mistakes in the past. It makes me extremely mad that teachers feed their students with patriotic propaganda. Yes, it is extremely difficult to write a completely biased text, but these books are way too extreme in their love of America and "American heroes."

We spent two weeks talking about how awful Christopher Columbus was in my history 111 class at the start of the year. College history classes are generally better, just depends on the teacher.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2011 12:21:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/3/2011 9:37:00 AM, Malfunction wrote:
It seems like every textbook I've received in my US history classes consists of a long-winded rant on how awesome America is. These textbooks, especially the newer ones, omit or twist facts to make America look better. While the country we live in is pretty remarkable, we have made plenty of mistakes in the past. It makes me extremely mad that teachers feed their students with patriotic propaganda. Yes, it is extremely difficult to write a completely biased text, but these books are way too extreme in their love of America and "American heroes."

Book recommendation if you want to fill in the gaps: Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2011 12:25:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/3/2011 9:37:00 AM, Malfunction wrote:
It seems like every textbook I've received in my US history classes consists of a long-winded rant on how awesome America is. These textbooks, especially the newer ones, omit or twist facts to make America look better. While the country we live in is pretty remarkable, we have made plenty of mistakes in the past. It makes me extremely mad that teachers feed their students with patriotic propaganda. Yes, it is extremely difficult to write a completely biased text, but these books are way too extreme in their love of America and "American heroes."

Never really had that issue with my schools, but then, they were liberal schools in Oregon that weren't very pro-USA to begin with. Also (in case no one mentioned this yet), since Texas forces a lot of material into the books of many other states, that could be a leading cause for overly patriotic messages.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 2:17:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Maybe it's just me, but I have never really gotten the impression that textbooks here in Canada are biased. They just give facts.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 2:18:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/24/2011 2:17:08 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but I have never really gotten the impression that textbooks here in Canada are biased. They just give facts.

There is no such thing as unbiased history. Unless your textbook is the size of the earth, recording every possible fact, at the very least the selection of facts is biased even if it happens to have everything right
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Anarcho
Posts: 887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 2:50:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/5/2011 3:55:33 PM, innomen wrote:
Ha! They're using the People's HIstory of the US in the inner city here in BOston, soooo accurate, and soooooo kind to the US. Howard Zinn is an abomination to history.

You're just upset he painted Europeans as something other than saints.
InsertNameHere wrote: "If we evolved from apes then why are apes still around?

This is semi-serious btw. It's something that seems strange to me. You'd think that entire species would cease to exist if other ones evolved from them."

Anarcho wrote: *facepalm*
PervRat
Posts: 963
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2011 1:18:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It varies by what part of the country a school is in. The 'ignore the bad, tout America as great in blind pride' happens pretty much where you expect such as the south.

My education did go deeply into slavery, the 'Manifest Destiny' genocide of Native Americans, the witchhunts in Salem and against Japanese Americans in WW2 and against anyone accused of having the slightest communism-tolerant political beliefs un the 1950s and 1960s and the other evils ... I am from western Washington state (greater Seattle area).
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2011 10:59:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/7/2011 6:56:33 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I don't appreciate revisionist history regardless

I'm not a fan of the "history" written by the court historians.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Austin96
Posts: 56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 2:58:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/3/2011 9:37:00 AM, Malfunction wrote:
It seems like every textbook I've received in my US history classes consists of a long-winded rant on how awesome America is. These textbooks, especially the newer ones, omit or twist facts to make America look better. While the country we live in is pretty remarkable, we have made plenty of mistakes in the past. It makes me extremely mad that teachers feed their students with patriotic propaganda. Yes, it is extremely difficult to write a completely biased text, but these books are way too extreme in their love of America and "American heroes."

Read the book "1776". It's one of the best books I have ever read,
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell.
Austin96
Posts: 56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 3:02:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/3/2011 9:37:00 AM, Malfunction wrote:
It seems like every textbook I've received in my US history classes consists of a long-winded rant on how awesome America is. These textbooks, especially the newer ones, omit or twist facts to make America look better. While the country we live in is pretty remarkable, we have made plenty of mistakes in the past. It makes me extremely mad that teachers feed their students with patriotic propaganda. Yes, it is extremely difficult to write a completely biased text, but these books are way too extreme in their love of America and "American heroes."

They also don't teach you a lot of other great things we did. But yes, history books are a lie and they stink.
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell.