Convocation

nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 5:36:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm a little on the fence about it.

I decided to forego my high school graduation, and I deeply regret it. Mainly because (in a school of 2000 students) many of us graduating knew each other and I had many friends I would have loved to have shared the experience with.

However, I'll be graduating from university next April (2012) and I haven't made any friends since matriculation lol and therefore have no one to share the experience with when I graduate.

What I'm wondering is this: Do you think I should attend convocation? What's the point...?
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 3:47:25 PM
At 3/4/2011 5:36:48 PM, nonentity wrote:
I'll be graduating from university next April (2012) and I haven't made any friends since matriculation

...Why?
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 8:44:19 PM
At 3/24/2011 3:47:25 PM, Nags wrote:
I'll be graduating from university next April (2012) and I haven't made any friends since matriculation

...Why?

I'm super shy, so I don't approach people. People don't really approach me either. Plus I commute to school so I don't have the benefit of roomies.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 8:46:37 PM
i wouldn't go.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 8:49:05 PM
At 3/24/2011 8:46:37 PM, askbob wrote:
i wouldn't go.

Yah, I really don't want to... I know my parents will be really disappointed though, to miss out on graduation a second time.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 8:57:10 PM
At 3/24/2011 8:49:05 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 3/24/2011 8:46:37 PM, askbob wrote:
i wouldn't go.

Yah, I really don't want to... I know my parents will be really disappointed though, to miss out on graduation a second time.

It sucks even with friends and family there. Lots of boring speeches - I got one of the worst sunburns of my life.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2011 9:32:26 AM
At 3/25/2011 4:57:29 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
I'd go. Not because it is actually worth it, but I think the possibility of regret is a powerful enough motivator.

Meh, good point but not always. I chose not to go to my senior Prom. I thought it was a huge waste of money, plus I went to Catholic School so it's not like I could've taken my girlfriend anyway. I don't regret that decision one iota. Who cares if they danced in a fancy dress at a function with a bunch of my teachers That's what all Sweet 16s are like where I'm from... think of the show My Sweet 16 on MTV, and that's what all the parties I went to in HS were like because of my rich, snobby classmates.

At prom, at BEST they got drunk with some people afterward, thinking they were cool as hell. Big deal. I did that for the next 4 years all throughout college and for a lot less money lol and had a lot more fun. So yeah, some experiences are just greatly exaggerated. If I were nonentity, I would go just for my parents... but if they didn't care, then I wouldn't go. Sometimes regret in these situations is just wishful thinking. If we were realistic about these activities, we'd see they're really not that great (for instance what bluesteel mentioned about the tons of boring speeches zzzZZZZz). I'm definitely going to my graduation though, as taking a few years off will make it be so that it will have taken me 6-7 years to graduate lol so that day will be pretty meaningful to me I think considering all my set backs.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2011 9:33:01 AM
At 3/24/2011 8:44:19 PM, nonentity wrote:
I'm super shy, so I don't approach people.

Weird! You don't come off as shy to me at all.
President of DDO
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2011 7:09:57 PM
I'm a little on the fence about it.

I decided to forego my high school graduation, and I deeply regret it. Mainly because (in a school of 2000 students) many of us graduating knew each other and I had many friends I would have loved to have shared the experience with.

However, I'll be graduating from university next April (2012) and I haven't made any friends since matriculation lol and therefore have no one to share the experience with when I graduate.

What I'm wondering is this: Do you think I should attend convocation? What's the point...?

If you have family they will want to see you out there.
kfc
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2011 11:24:39 PM
At 3/27/2011 9:33:01 AM, Danielle wrote:
At 3/24/2011 8:44:19 PM, nonentity wrote:
I'm super shy, so I don't approach people.

Weird! You don't come off as shy to me at all.

lol Really... Trust me, I am. When I told my mother I didn't want to go to convocation because I'll be graduating with no friends, she said "Well, you've still got a year to go" and gave me a Look. To which I replied, "What? You want me to make friends?"

I realized how ridiculous that sounded and we both had a good laugh. But seriously. I don't know how to make friends. I barely know how to keep the ones I have :/