Jump to topic:

How do you define intelligence?

THE_OPINIONATOR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 3:13:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I was wondering how you classify someone as intelligent. Is it how they present themselves? Is it what they say? Is it their actions? I was also wondering what your definitions of intelligence is
My Blog: Life Through The Eyes of a Christian

http://bloggingforjchrist.blogspot.com...

Life Through The Eyes of a Christian Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 3:20:57 PM
Cognitive ability to analyze, memorize, and process information.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 3:23:52 PM
At 3/9/2011 3:20:14 PM, THE_OPINIONATOR wrote:
everyone has that ability, does that mean we all posses a form of intelligence

Added to the ability to listen is the wisdom to discern what is false and what true.
Scyrone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 3:25:51 PM
For myself, intelligence and it's definition have a few requirements.

The first requirement would be someone whom is searching for knowledge or wisdom (any knowledge or wisdom) is so far intelligent on a base level. Whether it's reading a book, or learning a trade, that person, by trying to attain some form of knowledge, is intelligent. The next requirements might weed out some of these people.

The next requirement for intelligence would be that someone would have to take that skill or knowledge and apply it to something. In other word, that knowledge would eventually be used for something theoretical, practical, or blatantly physical already (someone who reads a book is not intelligent; yet someone who reads a book and uses that book for a skill or in an argument is intelligent).

The third requirement is that intelligence is something that must be proven to others on long basis. For example; you read a book and then argue something from that book, but you read it when you were 17 and now you are 89. You have not read any books since and you have not argued any point since. Therefore you are not intelligent now. But if you have read books consistently or attained a knowledge consistently and used it then you are considered intelligent.

The last requirement would be that intelligence is that the search for it and the actions involved with it be quickly attained. For example, if you read the Symposium by Plato, but you read it over a period of ten years, you gained intelligence, but you are not intelligent. If you read the Symposium in a week, then read the Republic, then Second Treatise of Government by Locke all the a few weeks (or even days for some people), then during that time you would be intelligent.

Intelligence is present in all beings, but for someone to be intelligent, they must use that knowledge by the previous rules.

I hope that answers your questions :)
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 3:58:42 PM
Intelligence when it comes down to it is understanding.

It is easy for an intelligent person to tell another intelligent person from a stupid person.

Stupid people only have a surface understanding, they are like parrots who rattle off information without understanding what it means. They know the words, they do not know the meaning. They are not effective at communication, because they do not understand what they are communicating. They also tend to place an objective value on words.

Intelligent people understand the meaning behind the words, and are capable of an intelligent discussion about it. They realize that one word can have many different meanings, and are aware of the fact that most people have different understandings of the words that are in use. They are more effective at communication than someone who still thinks that words have objective meaning.

Stupid people tend to be quick to judge, and are either gullible are completely un-open to new ideas that conflict with their previously established assumptions. To a stupid person, any answer is sometimes better than no answer.

Intelligent people tend to be open minded, yet they know the importance of suspending judgement until more information comes in. An intelligent person can accept the fact that they might not have a definitive answer.

It is sometimes hard to distinguish stupidity from ignorance.. An intelligent person will eventually become aware of their ignorance. A stupid person rarely if ever learns, and is cursed to their own ignorance.

Intelligent people grow and progress over time, often times noticeably even over relatively short periods of time. Stupid people rarely change, and often times will have changed very little even over a lifetime.

Intelligent people have a sense of humor, and don't tend to be any more serious than they need to be. Stupid people tend to be lacking in the humor department, and take things too seriously.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 2:57:23 PM
Good question. I often struggle with it and it's why I refrain from outright calling people dumb or stupid or smart or whatever (the exception being messing around on the internet or something.) I don't really have an answer, but one of the problems I have with defining it is that I think of there being many different types of intelligence. Different types of intelligence relate to numerous different things, none of which are necessarily better or worse, just different.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 6:14:08 PM
At 3/10/2011 3:12:51 PM, THE_OPINIONATOR wrote:
that is a very nice way of looking at it, I dont think there is a real defenition

All of the different intelligences rely on understanding.

Even if you take the theory of multiple intelligences, when it comes right down to it, understanding is at the root of all of them.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
ArmstrongJ14
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 10:20:16 PM
Avoid defining intelligence as something specific. It's not. Actually, its quite broad, and comes in many different ways. I'm not here to write up a textbook definition but just wanted to say that it's natural, and not, by all means, grades.