Jump to topic:

SAT Results

wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 8:25:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This goes in Education because the PSAT Results and AP Results threads are also in Education. Otherwise, it would fall under Personal because of the nature of these threads.

Critical Reading: 740
Math: 800
Writing: 650 (Essay: 7)

I had the reality television prompt and I don't watch television...
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 8:28:13 PM
that's bound to get you into some good schools. In terms of employers I've had two employers ask for SAT score out of a couple hundred when interviewing.

What's your GPA?
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 8:30:27 PM
personal advice is to retake the SAT and get a better writing score. Writing is the most subjective in my opinion and the easiest to improve upon.

Depending on your GPA you may have a decent shot at getting into Ivy league if that's your desire if you get your writing score up.

Mine was a 1280 out of 1600 I don't remember which was better for me. I think math was.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 8:37:24 PM
At 3/31/2011 8:28:13 PM, askbob wrote:
In terms of employers I've had two employers ask for SAT score out of a couple hundred when interviewing.
Yeah, standardized testing is generally irrelevant to job qualification.
What's your GPA?
Unweighted: ~3.95

Using the district's weighted scale, where AP classes have 2 extra GP's and PreAP/Honors classes have 1 extra GP (and band is level...), it's ~4.7. I would look it up, but the school's site is down.

Class rank at my school is f'd up, because we absorb the best students from across the district. With ~50 of such imported kids out of the whole school's 623, my rank is ~32.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 8:44:41 PM
i would definitely retake the SAT if you get a better writing score I'd say you were shoe in for ivy league if that's what you want to do. What do you want to do career wise?
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 8:46:07 PM
At 3/31/2011 8:44:41 PM, askbob wrote:
What do you want to do career wise?

Undecided. I'm considering starting a computer game firm while in college.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 8:47:45 PM
That's good. My scores were.

Reading: 790
Math: 730
Writing: 680

And I was rejected from all the ivies.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 8:49:06 PM
Though I'm also homeschooled. I'm not sure how that played into it.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 8:55:36 PM
Scores from last year:

Critical Reading: 800
Math: 690
Writing: 800

I got fairly mediocre grades and I am currently deciding between Tufts, Colgate, and Carleton College. I was also waitlisted by Swarthmore, which isn't too bad. You guys will certainly due very well. Have you taken SAT II's, the ACT, or AP's?
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 8:57:26 PM
At 3/31/2011 8:55:36 PM, Grape wrote:
You guys will certainly due very well. Have you taken SAT II's, the ACT, or AP's?

The ACT is crap. I'd take the American History SAT 2. It's very easy. I got a 790 on it. I know wjm has taken AP micro, at least.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 8:59:01 PM
Scores from last year:

Critical Reading: 800
Math: 690
Writing: 800

I got fairly mediocre grades and I am currently deciding between Tufts, Colgate, and Carleton College.

Bro, we should have coordinated where we were applying.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 8:59:33 PM
At 3/31/2011 8:46:07 PM, wjmelements wrote:

Majors you should do in order of most preferred

Actuarial Science
Mathematics
Accounting
Management Information Systems
Computer Programming
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 8:59:59 PM
At 3/31/2011 8:37:24 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Class rank at my school is f'd up, because we absorb the best students from across the district. With ~50 of such imported kids out of the whole school's 623, my rank is ~32.

My friend is ranked 41 out of 264 (85th percentile) and was accepted by Columbia, Johns Hopkins, and Cornell, and waitlisted by Dartmouth. And my school is pretty average. Last year's Valedictorian didn't get in to Hopkins (or Tufts, which I was accepted to despite not being ranked highly either).
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 9:01:13 PM
College admissions are f@cked up. It's due to all the statist intervention.
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 9:06:38 PM
At 3/31/2011 8:57:26 PM, Reasoning wrote:
You guys will certainly due very well. Have you taken SAT II's, the ACT, or AP's?

The ACT is crap. I'd take the American History SAT 2. It's very easy. I got a 790 on it. I know wjm has taken AP micro, at least.

I did fine on the ACT (got a 33 overall). I sent it because I found the math section easier than the SAT (missed 2 questions instead of 5, which matters a lot the way these tests are scored).

The Subject Tests are very easy, and I suspect they helped me quite a lot. I got an 800 on Biology (Ecology), 790 on Literature, US History, and World History. My friend who was accepted to Columbia got about five 800's.

wjmelements, definitely take the mathematics Subject Tests (Math 2 or both). A lot of top science/math/engineering programs require them. You should also take either physics or chemistry for the same reason (both are supposed to be fairly easy).
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 9:18:32 PM
At 3/31/2011 8:59:33 PM, askbob wrote:

Actuarial Science
Mathematics
Accounting
Computer Programming

No engineering?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 9:18:53 PM
This is Grape's guide to getting an 800 writing score without thinking:

If you know the rules of writing in the English language and you know how to fake a good essay, you can get a perfect score on Writing easily. I am not exaggerating. If you look up the mechanical rules (you already know most of them and there aren't many) and memorize them, you will not miss a multiple choice question. I just took some practice tests and checked why I got questions wrong to learn the rules. Rinse and repeat until you stop missing questions (took me about 4-5 tests to go from 630 to 800 in the practice book).

For the essay, choose a book by a Nobel Laureate and an obscure intellectual. I chose Blindness by Jose Saramago and Jurgen Habermas. Do not forget the mention the Nobel Prize in the essay. Pick them the night before and incorporate them in to your essay no matter what it's about. Then use lots of big words and complex sentence structure to make a non-argument. This will guarantee you at least an 11.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 9:21:25 PM
At 3/31/2011 9:18:32 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 3/31/2011 8:59:33 PM, askbob wrote:

Actuarial Science
Mathematics
Accounting
Computer Programming

No engineering?

not according to the bureau of labor statistics though i'm sure it's right after computer programming.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 9:22:32 PM
My essay prompt was: Should leaders be held to the same standards?

I then proceeded to write a six page essay on why taxation is just theft and war is just mass murder. I quoted St. Augustine and Murray Rothbard and only got a 9. I was mad.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 9:23:18 PM
At 3/31/2011 9:18:53 PM, Grape wrote:
This is Grape's guide to getting an 800 writing score without thinking:

If you know the rules of writing in the English language and you know how to fake a good essay, you can get a perfect score on Writing easily. I am not exaggerating. If you look up the mechanical rules (you already know most of them and there aren't many) and memorize them, you will not miss a multiple choice question. I just took some practice tests and checked why I got questions wrong to learn the rules. Rinse and repeat until you stop missing questions (took me about 4-5 tests to go from 630 to 800 in the practice book).

For the essay, choose a book by a Nobel Laureate and an obscure intellectual. I chose Blindness by Jose Saramago and Jurgen Habermas. Do not forget the mention the Nobel Prize in the essay. Pick them the night before and incorporate them in to your essay no matter what it's about. Then use lots of big words and complex sentence structure to make a non-argument. This will guarantee you at least an 11.

this is genius advice
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 9:30:50 PM
At 3/31/2011 9:22:32 PM, Reasoning wrote:

I then proceeded to write a six page essay on why taxation is just theft and war is just mass murder. I quoted St. Augustine and Murray Rothbard and only got a 9. I was mad.

The quality of your argument counts for nothing. I went on a long tangent apologizing for my poor handwriting and thanking the grader for his/her major contributions to the field of education and got an 11. This was the second time I took the test (I was fruitlessly trying to improve my math score) and I already had an 800 in the Writing so my essay didn't matter.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 9:32:35 PM
At 3/31/2011 9:30:50 PM, Grape wrote:

The quality of your argument counts for nothing. I went on a long tangent apologizing for my poor handwriting and thanking the grader for his/her major contributions to the field of education and got an 11. This was the second time I took the test (I was fruitlessly trying to improve my math score) and I already had an 800 in the Writing so my essay didn't matter.

What complete sh!t. I'm really p!ssed about it again, right now.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 9:35:20 PM

I then proceeded to copy down six page pages of Rothbard quotes on why taxation is just theft and war is just mass murder. I only got a 9. I was mad.

Fix'd. :P
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 9:36:42 PM
At 3/31/2011 9:35:20 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

I then proceeded to copy down six page pages of Rothbard quotes on why taxation is just theft and war is just mass murder. I only got a 9. I was mad.

Fix'd. :P

10/10
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 9:36:58 PM
For something I wrote under pressure in just an hour, it was quite good. I was rather proud of it when I had finished.
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 9:39:29 PM
So you don't have to look those quotes up, you just have a bunch memorized?
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 9:40:55 PM
At 3/31/2011 9:06:38 PM, Grape wrote:
wjmelements, definitely take the mathematics Subject Tests (Math 2 or both). A lot of top science/math/engineering programs require them. You should also take either physics or chemistry for the same reason (both are supposed to be fairly easy).

I'm already signed up for Math II (practice tests put me between 720 and 780; by May it should be 800) and U.S. History (I have a 97 in APUSH). What level of Physics is in the subject test? Is it like AP Physics B or just junior physics?
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 9:44:33 PM
At 3/31/2011 9:39:29 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
So you don't have to look those quotes up, you just have a bunch memorized?

I look some up, but I have quite a few memorized. It's a neat trick. If you ever meet me in person, I'll show you. Of course, looking up the quotes repeatedly helps you memorize them, which is why I use quotes so often.