Jump to topic:

Democratic Education

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2011 2:13:17 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
It has been tried and it works. In the educational regime we use now the only thing students learn well by the time they graduate is how to be a student. Democratic education does not live on feeding you dogma and cramming stuff into your mind to be memorized for a test and then forgotten, it lives on propagating your natural curiosity and exercising participatory social skills, thus expanding your actual intelligence. Discuss.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2011 12:47:22 AM
I haven't read the scientific literature on how effective it is. In general, the issue isn't democratic vs. authoritative education but public vs. private education. Private education is the only way to make education the most efficient and provide the best product, that creates the best outcome.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2011 12:57:52 AM
At 4/3/2011 12:47:22 AM, darkkermit wrote:
I haven't read the scientific literature on how effective it is. In general, the issue isn't democratic vs. authoritative education but public vs. private education. Private education is the only way to make education the most efficient and provide the best product, that creates the best outcome.

I actually don't care much about the private vs public debate, I'm just concerned with the students.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2011 1:04:50 AM
At 4/3/2011 12:57:52 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 4/3/2011 12:47:22 AM, darkkermit wrote:

I actually don't care much about the private vs public debate, I'm just concerned with the students.

I am too, and privatization is the best model. If democratic education worked, then private educators would adopt this model.

However, I am uncertain how those who come out of democratic education do in the job market. It seems if you were given free range to do anything you want, you wouldn't work on skills that are necessarily marketable. Added to the fact that traditional education may also teach reasoning skills, decrease crime rates, and make others more tolerant. Not sure if traditional education really does or not, having read the scientific data, but there seems to be a consensus that is what school is supposed to do.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2011 3:37:52 AM
At 4/2/2011 2:13:17 AM, FREEDO wrote:
It has been tried and it works. In the educational regime we use now the only thing students learn well by the time they graduate is how to be a student.

I don't agree with that. Specially in high school, once a student has chosen his field of interest, the practical aspect garners interest and he does understand the concepts of the field he wishes to enter.

Democratic education does not live on feeding you dogma and cramming stuff into your mind to be memorized for a test and then forgotten, it lives on propagating your natural curiosity and exercising participatory social skills, thus expanding your actual intelligence. Discuss.

The main problem of democratic education (that I consider a problem) is that there is no set syllabus. Every student is propelled to learn only by his/ her natural curiosity and that seriously inhibits the pace of understanding. Because some things have to be forced, some basic principles have to be learned, regardless of the fact that it interests the student or not. Once you are forced into a field, the interest level spikes automatically when you start understanding the concept. A 3 year old might not want to learn addition, but ultimately he has to, to understand many other things.

Also, in normal schooling(private/public) social skills improve drastically since you are practically in contact with people on a day to day basis. That won't be a problem in democratic schools too, but this cannot be used to compare the two, since both improve social skills of the student.