Jump to topic:

Yall

PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2009 7:20:46 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
(A short, self-conscious preface: I am aware that this thread belongs more in the Misc. forum, but I couldn't live with knowing that this thread would coexist alongside forum games and +1 threads. I shutter at the thought.)

I submit that the word "yall" be standardized and more commonly used (at least on DDO).

My reasoning is very simple:

(N.B.: Any unconventional/inconsistent syntax is intentional.)

(1) In what-is-deemed "proper" English, the "second person singular subject pronoun" is the same as the "second person plural subject pronoun", namely you and you. This can cause confusion; i.e., a strong sense of ambiguity. E.g., suppose you[1] are with two friends, and you[2] happen to say, "You've got to be kidding me!" An outside observer (e.g. a stalker hiding in a tree staring at you[3] and your[4] friends) will not know who you[5] are talking about. One might argue in response, "Well, who are you[6] to not know that context?" W/r/t that, I respond, "That's exactly it! One must learn from context, which is like totally odd when placed in juxtaposition to the other subject pronouns." (B/t/w, if you've[7] made it this far in the main text, I applaud.)

(2) How does informal, as-everyday-spoken-language English solve this ambiguity? We[8] typically say things like you guys. But this presents a problem. First, it is slang. Second, unlike all the other subject pronouns -- formal, informal, or otherwise -- it is based on two words. Therefore, this solution is negated.

(3) The only reasonable solution, then, is to incorporate "yall" into our proper English vocabulary. I believe that the choice of "yall" being above less common solutions (which either are obscure or must be made up) is self-evident.

I am open to your criticisms.

Footnotes:
[1] The word "you" is used here as an informal second-person-plural.
[2] (same as the above footnote)
[3] (same as the above footnote, which is the same as the above footnote)
[4] (similar to the above footnote, which is the same as the above footnote . . . et cetera)
[5] (same as the above footnote, which is similar to the above footnote . . . et cetera)
[6] "You" is used here as an informal second-person-singular, referring to me.
[7] (same as the uppermost footnote plus five; i.e., footnote #1+5 or numero seis)
[8] (we is used here to indicate American modern society)
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2009 5:07:17 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I will agree to it on the the terms I get to use a very offensive joke on a member of my choice without back lash.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2012 11:13:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
kittn
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 5:33:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/21/2009 7:20:46 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
(A short, self-conscious preface: I am aware that this thread belongs more in the Misc. forum, but I couldn't live with knowing that this thread would coexist alongside forum games and +1 threads. I shutter at the thought.)

I submit that the word "yall" be standardized and more commonly used (at least on DDO).

My reasoning is very simple:

(N.B.: Any unconventional/inconsistent syntax is intentional.)

(1) In what-is-deemed "proper" English, the "second person singular subject pronoun" is the same as the "second person plural subject pronoun", namely you and you. This can cause confusion; i.e., a strong sense of ambiguity. E.g., suppose you[1] are with two friends, and you[2] happen to say, "You've got to be kidding me!" An outside observer (e.g. a stalker hiding in a tree staring at you[3] and your[4] friends) will not know who you[5] are talking about. One might argue in response, "Well, who are you[6] to not know that context?" W/r/t that, I respond, "That's exactly it! One must learn from context, which is like totally odd when placed in juxtaposition to the other subject pronouns." (B/t/w, if you've[7] made it this far in the main text, I applaud.)

(2) How does informal, as-everyday-spoken-language English solve this ambiguity? We[8] typically say things like you guys. But this presents a problem. First, it is slang. Second, unlike all the other subject pronouns -- formal, informal, or otherwise -- it is based on two words. Therefore, this solution is negated.

(3) The only reasonable solution, then, is to incorporate "yall" into our proper English vocabulary. I believe that the choice of "yall" being above less common solutions (which either are obscure or must be made up) is self-evident.

I am open to your criticisms.

Footnotes:
[1] The word "you" is used here as an informal second-person-plural.
[2] (same as the above footnote)
[3] (same as the above footnote, which is the same as the above footnote)
[4] (similar to the above footnote, which is the same as the above footnote . . . et cetera)
[5] (same as the above footnote, which is similar to the above footnote . . . et cetera)
[6] "You" is used here as an informal second-person-singular, referring to me.
[7] (same as the uppermost footnote plus five; i.e., footnote #1+5 or numero seis)
[8] (we is used here to indicate American modern society)

This was interesting