Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

Revolutionary schooling

Austin96
Posts: 56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 2:01:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The American grading/schooling system is extremely flawed. Here's my completely new way of schooling. First off, I think that absolutely everything should be individually based. Though I think we should keep elementary school relatively the same. Once you reach middle school, everything should be learned at home. And instead of tax dollars going towards the public schooling system in place now, they should go towards kids who don't have computers. Which leads to my next idea, that all schooling should be online. By schooling being online, it allows students to progress faster. Which leads to another idea, that once you're in middle school, you should be able to earn high school credit for taking high school classes. I also think that grade should be divided into age groups, rather than what it is now. And finally, we should have fewer teachers that are more qualified rather than many teachers who aren't as high quality as others. Doing this will help students progress faster as well as getting a higher quality education, which could, in the future, help our country thrive in every aspect.
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 2:59:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Which leads to another idea, that once you're in middle school, you should be able to earn high school credit for taking high school classes. I also think that grade should be divided into age groups, rather than what it is now.
These two ideas don't seem to get along. Also, grade right now IS roughly based on age.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Rob1_Billion
Posts: 1,300
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 3:53:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
After elementary school, why not just integrate school into work? Is there a fundamental difference why they should be separated? I can tell you that after school, there definitely is a separation of school and work, and it is a purely unhealthy one. Our society is f*cked on so many levels... we need to go to classes, while balancing our work schedule, while paying day care workers to look after our children, while trying to also include time to cook, clean, exercise, play, relax, sleep, and if you've sacrificed a few of these along the way, maybe you'll have time for home improvements, gardening, or otherwise being productive in your own creative way. This list is required for any sane person; I can tell you that. Those who don't exercise get fat and aren't generally as healthy or eager as others. Those who skip school are not generally opened intellectually. Those who cut sleep are stressed, those who don't cook end up eating out (unhealthily and inefficiently). Those who don't work are losers, those who don't clean are slobs, and those who don't play are no fun. Those who have nothing to do with gardening are ruining the potential of their home community's potential to produce, as opposed to having trucks drive over produce from thousands of miles away which aren't half as good as what a local garden can provide. Has anyone ever added up the hours of the week and then tried to fit a healthy American lifestyle into it? There's no chance...

If we could combine some of these interests then perhaps we wouldn't be so shallow and unscrupled as a society. Neighborhoods could cooperate on things like childcare, cooking, and gardening so that people could be part of an efficient system which requires input from them only one day a week and allows their inputs to be amplified in strength (e.g., instead of making a few quarts of tomato sauce on monday for myself, then having to cook again on tuesday, I could make a large batch enough to feed 7 households for a night, while 6 other families cook on the other nights of the week). Schooling and work being combined would have awesome effects, not the least of which would kill this school/work burdon. 40 hrs a week school+work is much more equitable to the community than working part time, borrowing tax dollars, and schooling fulltime. Exercise could be eliminated from the list as well since there are always physical duties to perform... it's just that right now we hire a man to do each menial job 50 hours a week without any change in his daily routine.
kfc
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 4:02:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/25/2011 2:59:50 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Which leads to another idea, that once you're in middle school, you should be able to earn high school credit for taking high school classes. I also think that grade should be divided into age groups, rather than what it is now.
These two ideas don't seem to get along. Also, grade right now IS roughly based on age.

Yeah, and it seems that elementary students and college students are held to the same grading standards whereas middle and high school grading is the most difficult and rigorous.

But hey, I'm not complaining. :)
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Austin96
Posts: 56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 5:50:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/25/2011 4:02:06 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/25/2011 2:59:50 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Which leads to another idea, that once you're in middle school, you should be able to earn high school credit for taking high school classes. I also think that grade should be divided into age groups, rather than what it is now.
These two ideas don't seem to get along. Also, grade right now IS roughly based on age.

Hoo do they not get along? And what I meant about the whole age group thing was that someone born on the deadline and someone born one day after the deadline are in the same grade, unlike now where the 2 people are in 2 seperate grades. But the entire age group thing seems a bit irrelevant since my suggested way was to base it off of the individual, not the age. I apologize for that. For the sake of everyone reading this post forget that I even said the age thing.

I don't think I mentioned this in my original post, but I would also repeal the no child left behind act and cut off all public funding
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 11:06:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/25/2011 5:50:41 PM, Austin96 wrote:
At 4/25/2011 4:02:06 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/25/2011 2:59:50 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Which leads to another idea, that once you're in middle school, you should be able to earn high school credit for taking high school classes. I also think that grade should be divided into age groups, rather than what it is now.
These two ideas don't seem to get along. Also, grade right now IS roughly based on age.

Hoo do they not get along?
One prefers ability to age, the other age to ability.

And what I meant about the whole age group thing was that someone born on the deadline and someone born one day after the deadline are in the same grade,
That would be impossible to schedule for.

but I would also repeal the no child left behind act and cut off all public funding

Then why not cut off the ability to make public rules about it? :P
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Indophile
Posts: 1,414
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 9:48:57 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/25/2011 3:53:52 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
After elementary school, why not just integrate school into work? Is there a fundamental difference why they should be separated? I can tell you that after school, there definitely is a separation of school and work, and it is a purely unhealthy one. Our society is f*cked on so many levels... we need to go to classes, while balancing our work schedule, while paying day care workers to look after our children, while trying to also include time to cook, clean, exercise, play, relax, sleep, and if you've sacrificed a few of these along the way, maybe you'll have time for home improvements, gardening, or otherwise being productive in your own creative way. This list is required for any sane person; I can tell you that. Those who don't exercise get fat and aren't generally as healthy or eager as others. Those who skip school are not generally opened intellectually. Those who cut sleep are stressed, those who don't cook end up eating out (unhealthily and inefficiently). Those who don't work are losers, those who don't clean are slobs, and those who don't play are no fun. Those who have nothing to do with gardening are ruining the potential of their home community's potential to produce, as opposed to having trucks drive over produce from thousands of miles away which aren't half as good as what a local garden can provide. Has anyone ever added up the hours of the week and then tried to fit a healthy American lifestyle into it? There's no chance...

If we could combine some of these interests then perhaps we wouldn't be so shallow and unscrupled as a society. Neighborhoods could cooperate on things like childcare, cooking, and gardening so that people could be part of an efficient system which requires input from them only one day a week and allows their inputs to be amplified in strength (e.g., instead of making a few quarts of tomato sauce on monday for myself, then having to cook again on tuesday, I could make a large batch enough to feed 7 households for a night, while 6 other families cook on the other nights of the week). Schooling and work being combined would have awesome effects, not the least of which would kill this school/work burdon. 40 hrs a week school+work is much more equitable to the community than working part time, borrowing tax dollars, and schooling fulltime. Exercise could be eliminated from the list as well since there are always physical duties to perform... it's just that right now we hire a man to do each menial job 50 hours a week without any change in his daily routine.

What if I don't like what the other people cook? What if I don't like the way other people do things? What if I don't like those other people, period? :)

Would I be compelled to still "help them out"?
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Rob1_Billion
Posts: 1,300
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 10:59:41 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/26/2011 9:48:57 AM, Indophile wrote:
What if I don't like what the other people cook? What if I don't like the way other people do things? What if I don't like those other people, period? :)

There is a certain limit to which you can control the food your community produces. Just like a child in a cafeteria can't whine for McDonald's during school lunch, and just like when you go to a family outing you can't complain about wanting something else (without looking quite odd), you wouldn't be completely in control of what your neighbors decide to cook. A little planning in the process, which really should be getting done anyway, would ensure everyone is happy with the arrangements. The truth is you'd be getting a home-cooked meal every night, and by helping teach each other how to cook you'd all get better at doing it. Moving society off of fast-food and quick-prep home food is essential for many reasons.

If you don't like other people, then you will have to stop whining about that as well: life is all about dealing with people you don't like. In the U.S., we tend to shrink back out of society, which is damaging to ourselves as well as society. You're not going to like everyone and you're never going to like one person perfectly; but it is vital that we don't use that as an excuse not to cooperate.

Would I be compelled to still "help them out"?

Compelled? Not legally, but your relationships with other people are going to be based on how helpful and productive you are. My girlfriend doesn't legally compell me to clean the house, for example, but if I don't I may find her renegotiating our relationship. Does that mean we should enact laws to compell me to clean? To have sex after marriage? To defend her against would-be attackers? I think these things are best left to... let's call it the 'free market of social interaction.'
kfc
Indophile
Posts: 1,414
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 12:41:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/26/2011 10:59:41 AM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
At 4/26/2011 9:48:57 AM, Indophile wrote:
What if I don't like what the other people cook? What if I don't like the way other people do things? What if I don't like those other people, period? :)

There is a certain limit to which you can control the food your community produces. Just like a child in a cafeteria can't whine for McDonald's during school lunch, and just like when you go to a family outing you can't complain about wanting something else (without looking quite odd), you wouldn't be completely in control of what your neighbors decide to cook. A little planning in the process, which really should be getting done anyway, would ensure everyone is happy with the arrangements. The truth is you'd be getting a home-cooked meal every night, and by helping teach each other how to cook you'd all get better at doing it. Moving society off of fast-food and quick-prep home food is essential for many reasons.

It doesn't really make sense for me to spend my time chatting with my neighbors as to how to cook some food (especially when I could be doing so many other enjoyable things). I can stay off fast food on my own and don't need to involve my neighbors to facilitate that.

If you don't like other people, then you will have to stop whining about that as well: life is all about dealing with people you don't like. In the U.S., we tend to shrink back out of society, which is damaging to ourselves as well as society. You're not going to like everyone and you're never going to like one person perfectly; but it is vital that we don't use that as an excuse not to cooperate.

Life is all about dealing with people you don't like by keeping those dealings to a minimum, and maximizing your dealings with people you do like.

Would I be compelled to still "help them out"?

Compelled? Not legally, but your relationships with other people are going to be based on how helpful and productive you are. My girlfriend doesn't legally compell me to clean the house, for example, but if I don't I may find her renegotiating our relationship. Does that mean we should enact laws to compell me to clean? To have sex after marriage? To defend her against would-be attackers? I think these things are best left to... let's call it the 'free market of social interaction.'

Your girfriend is a person you like. I thought we were talking about people we don't like. I find it ironical that you want things to be left to the 'free market of social interaction' and then complain that people are indeed freely choosing not to interact socially with some people.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Austin96
Posts: 56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 5:27:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
For people who are talking about cooking and food, what does this have to do with my original post?
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell.
Austin96
Posts: 56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 2:53:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This post is kinda lame. I didn't post all of my ideas and i threw some out so I think I'll just stat another post
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell.
CrazyRepublican
Posts: 21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 9:52:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/25/2011 2:01:22 PM, Austin96 wrote:
The American grading/schooling system is extremely flawed. Here's my completely new way of schooling. First off, I think that absolutely everything should be individually based. Though I think we should keep elementary school relatively the same. Once you reach middle school, everything should be learned at home. And instead of tax dollars going towards the public schooling system in place now, they should go towards kids who don't have computers. Which leads to my next idea, that all schooling should be online. By schooling being online, it allows students to progress faster. Which leads to another idea, that once you're in middle school, you should be able to earn high school credit for taking high school classes. I also think that grade should be divided into age groups, rather than what it is now. And finally, we should have fewer teachers that are more qualified rather than many teachers who aren't as high quality as others. Doing this will help students progress faster as well as getting a higher quality education, which could, in the future, help our country thrive in every aspect

you are right it is flawed, however i disagree with the whole online education premise for three reasons
1) most students cant self teach themselves on the computer, which is why it would be better to just be using a teacher.

2) if a student is educated online rather than in a classroom with other peirs than the student wouldn't be taught a very crucial subject for their life and that is social skills, which are needed when aplying for a job and having a good relationship with the people that they will find themselves surrounded by.

3) because it would cause problems for most working class families because in todays economy both parents or parent( if the student has a single parent) must work to provide the sufficient amount of funds to support the family so there would be nobody to oversee this type of education and to make sure the student doesnt get into trouble.

and i also disagree with your premise that says to get rid of most of the teachers and keep the more qualified ones, because first off their arnt that many qualified teachers to begin with, and if you did what you are saying then each teacher would be overloaded with students the proper solution would be to spend more tax dollars and educate the teachers better and lower the the amount of students per teacher, but baseing the edcucation on the computer and firing most of the teachers would not work.
Soli Deo Gloria
Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 11:25:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/3/2011 9:52:56 PM, CrazyRepublican wrote:
At 4/25/2011 2:01:22 PM, Austin96 wrote:
The American grading/schooling system is extremely flawed. Here's my completely new way of schooling. First off, I think that absolutely everything should be individually based. Though I think we should keep elementary school relatively the same. Once you reach middle school, everything should be learned at home. And instead of tax dollars going towards the public schooling system in place now, they should go towards kids who don't have computers. Which leads to my next idea, that all schooling should be online. By schooling being online, it allows students to progress faster. Which leads to another idea, that once you're in middle school, you should be able to earn high school credit for taking high school classes. I also think that grade should be divided into age groups, rather than what it is now. And finally, we should have fewer teachers that are more qualified rather than many teachers who aren't as high quality as others. Doing this will help students progress faster as well as getting a higher quality education, which could, in the future, help our country thrive in every aspect

you are right it is flawed, however i disagree with the whole online education premise for three reasons
1) most students cant self teach themselves on the computer, which is why it would be better to just be using a teacher.

2) if a student is educated online rather than in a classroom with other peirs than the student wouldn't be taught a very crucial subject for their life and that is social skills, which are needed when aplying for a job and having a good relationship with the people that they will find themselves surrounded by.

3) because it would cause problems for most working class families because in todays economy both parents or parent( if the student has a single parent) must work to provide the sufficient amount of funds to support the family so there would be nobody to oversee this type of education and to make sure the student doesnt get into trouble.

and i also disagree with your premise that says to get rid of most of the teachers and keep the more qualified ones, because first off their arnt that many qualified teachers to begin with, and if you did what you are saying then each teacher would be overloaded with students the proper solution would be to spend more tax dollars and educate the teachers better and lower the the amount of students per teacher, but baseing the edcucation on the computer and firing most of the teachers would not work.

this
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Austin96
Posts: 56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 2:18:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/3/2011 9:52:56 PM, CrazyRepublican wrote:
At 4/25/2011 2:01:22 PM, Austin96 wrote:
The American grading/schooling system is extremely flawed. Here's my completely new way of schooling. First off, I think that absolutely everything should be individually based. Though I think we should keep elementary school relatively the same. Once you reach middle school, everything should be learned at home. And instead of tax dollars going towards the public schooling system in place now, they should go towards kids who don't have computers. Which leads to my next idea, that all schooling should be online. By schooling being online, it allows students to progress faster. Which leads to another idea, that once you're in middle school, you should be able to earn high school credit for taking high school classes. I also think that grade should be divided into age groups, rather than what it is now. And finally, we should have fewer teachers that are more qualified rather than many teachers who aren't as high quality as others. Doing this will help students progress faster as well as getting a higher quality education, which could, in the future, help our country thrive in every aspect

you are right it is flawed, however i disagree with the whole online education premise for three reasons
: 1) most students cant self teach themselves on the computer, which is why it would be better to just be using a teacher.

The students would not teach themselves. If you have ever done online schooling, they actually have teachers that guide you through and help you

: 2) if a student is educated online rather than in a classroom with other peirs than the student wouldn't be taught a very crucial subject for their life and that is social skills, which are needed when aplying for a job and having a good relationship with the people that they will find themselves surrounded by.


I ran into a bit of a hole here, but I am currently thinking of something that may fix that problem. I'm just revising it right now.


: 3) because it would cause problems for most working class families because in todays economy both parents or parent( if the student has a single parent) must work to provide the sufficient amount of funds to support the family so there would be nobody to oversee this type of education and to make sure the student doesnt get into trouble.


Parents still don't have a very good idea if their kids are getting into trouble whether they're at school or not. Students would be required to log in at a certain time until they get their assignments done. If they don't log in, parents would be notified.
: and i also disagree with your premise that says to get rid of most of the teachers and keep the more qualified ones, because first off their arnt that many qualified teachers to begin with, and if you did what you are saying then each teacher would be overloaded with students the proper solution would be to spend more tax dollars and educate the teachers better and lower the the amount of students per teacher, but baseing the edcucation on the computer and firing most of the teachers would not work.

The problem with teachers is that most of them give you busy work and leave you in the dark. Reducing the teachers and putting in more qualified teachers (I would like to put a tougher training system in place) IS in fact the solution. They did a study on 100 high schools around the country that all varied in teacher/student ratio. The average scores were all almost the same. They found that most students who did poorly on the test had parents who were either divorced, single parent, both worked away from home, or their parents were married out of wedlock. Student/teacher ratio does not affect education (unless the student/teacher ratio is ridiculously high).
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell.
CrazyRepublican
Posts: 21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 8:41:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/5/2011 2:18:34 PM, Austin96 wrote:
At 5/3/2011 9:52:56 PM, CrazyRepublican wrote:
At 4/25/2011 2:01:22 PM, Austin96 wrote:
The American grading/schooling system is extremely flawed. Here's my completely new way of schooling. First off, I think that absolutely everything should be individually based. Though I think we should keep elementary school relatively the same. Once you reach middle school, everything should be learned at home. And instead of tax dollars going towards the public schooling system in place now, they should go towards kids who don't have computers. Which leads to my next idea, that all schooling should be online. By schooling being online, it allows students to progress faster. Which leads to another idea, that once you're in middle school, you should be able to earn high school credit for taking high school classes. I also think that grade should be divided into age groups, rather than what it is now. And finally, we should have fewer teachers that are more qualified rather than many teachers who aren't as high quality as others. Doing this will help students progress faster as well as getting a higher quality education, which could, in the future, help our country thrive in every aspect

you are right it is flawed, however i disagree with the whole online education premise for three reasons
: 1) most students cant self teach themselves on the computer, which is why it would be better to just be using a teacher.

The students would not teach themselves. If you have ever done online schooling, they actually have teachers that guide you through and help you

: 2) if a student is educated online rather than in a classroom with other peirs than the student wouldn't be taught a very crucial subject for their life and that is social skills, which are needed when aplying for a job and having a good relationship with the people that they will find themselves surrounded by.


I ran into a bit of a hole here, but I am currently thinking of something that may fix that problem. I'm just revising it right now.


: 3) because it would cause problems for most working class families because in todays economy both parents or parent( if the student has a single parent) must work to provide the sufficient amount of funds to support the family so there would be nobody to oversee this type of education and to make sure the student doesnt get into trouble.


Parents still don't have a very good idea if their kids are getting into trouble whether they're at school or not. Students would be required to log in at a certain time until they get their assignments done. If they don't log in, parents would be notified.
: and i also disagree with your premise that says to get rid of most of the teachers and keep the more qualified ones, because first off their arnt that many qualified teachers to begin with, and if you did what you are saying then each teacher would be overloaded with students the proper solution would be to spend more tax dollars and educate the teachers better and lower the the amount of students per teacher, but baseing the edcucation on the computer and firing most of the teachers would not work.

The problem with teachers is that most of them give you busy work and leave you in the dark. Reducing the teachers and putting in more qualified teachers (I would like to put a tougher training system in place) IS in fact the solution. They did a study on 100 high schools around the country that all varied in teacher/student ratio. The average scores were all almost the same. They found that most students who did poorly on the test had parents who were either divorced, single parent, both worked away from home, or their parents were married out of wedlock. Student/teacher ratio does not affect education (unless the student/teacher ratio is ridiculously high).

1) Then whats the point of online schooling if there is a teacher right there doing the same job as they normaly would do in the classroom, you might as well not have to deal with the low social skills problem and let the students go to the classroom and give the teacher a job.

3) The fact that they have to be logged does not solve the issue. The students at schools have teachers right there beside them making sure they dont get into trouble, whereas if they are on a online program the student can login and walk away and do whatever they want. The student is better of going to school where there is actual assistance right there beside them.

And for the last I don't go to public school i go to a private school where there are less students per teacher and the majority have perfect grades that most public and online schools can't compete with, However this brings me to my 5th arguement that the problem is not souly on the teachers. It is the curiculum that the public school teaches that is the heart of the problem. It needs to be more rigurious than that of how it is now. My proof is the school systems in China and Japan that have academic scores that triumphs over that of the U.S. schools, this is because they are more strict and rigurious when it comes to both behavior and acedemics and they base their schools on the classroom. Thus we do not need online schooling.
Soli Deo Gloria
Lionheart
Posts: 520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2011 6:20:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
First, I like Rob1billion's ideas... Even though they don't directly apply to this post.

Now, on to the topic...

1) most students cant self teach themselves on the computer, which is why it would be better to just be using a teacher.

The students would not teach themselves. If you have ever done online schooling, they actually have teachers that guide you through and help you


This is true, the online guides and/or online problem solving tutorials provide the same kind of help that a real life teacher would provide.

2) if a student is educated online rather than in a classroom with other peirs than the student wouldn't be taught a very crucial subject for their life and that is social skills, which are needed when aplying for a job and having a good relationship with the people that they will find themselves surrounded by.

This is easily solved and it will be tied to my answer for number 3. There should be a 2 hour social period in the middle of the day. Currently most kids turn lunch time into this in public school. It would be like the public school lunch period that we have now, but longer, and with some added social features.

3) because it would cause problems for most working class families because in todays economy both parents or parent( if the student has a single parent) must work to provide the sufficient amount of funds to support the family so there would be nobody to oversee this type of education and to make sure the student doesnt get into trouble.


This could be addressed as follows... make class rooms very large. Say 200 kids to a class. All the kids in the class would use computers (#1) to learn their education. The teacher would be there to act as a supervisor to the overall experience and to make sure everything stays in order. Incorporate number 2 into this kind of a schooling system and you have a great blend of a supervised individual educational learning system that gives students great opportunities to build social skills and experiences.

Thoughts?
"Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power."


- Lionheart -
TheRadAdmiral
Posts: 6
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 7:50:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/8/2011 6:20:58 PM, Lionheart wrote:
First, I like Rob1billion's ideas... Even though they don't directly apply to this post.

Now, on to the topic...



1) most students cant self teach themselves on the computer, which is why it would be better to just be using a teacher.

The students would not teach themselves. If you have ever done online schooling, they actually have teachers that guide you through and help you



This is true, the online guides and/or online problem solving tutorials provide the same kind of help that a real life teacher would provide.


2) if a student is educated online rather than in a classroom with other peirs than the student wouldn't be taught a very crucial subject for their life and that is social skills, which are needed when aplying for a job and having a good relationship with the people that they will find themselves surrounded by.

This is easily solved and it will be tied to my answer for number 3. There should be a 2 hour social period in the middle of the day. Currently most kids turn lunch time into this in public school. It would be like the public school lunch period that we have now, but longer, and with some added social features.


3) because it would cause problems for most working class families because in todays economy both parents or parent( if the student has a single parent) must work to provide the sufficient amount of funds to support the family so there would be nobody to oversee this type of education and to make sure the student doesnt get into trouble.


This could be addressed as follows... make class rooms very large. Say 200 kids to a class. All the kids in the class would use computers (#1) to learn their education. The teacher would be there to act as a supervisor to the overall experience and to make sure everything stays in order. Incorporate number 2 into this kind of a schooling system and you have a great blend of a supervised individual educational learning system that gives students great opportunities to build social skills and experiences.

Thoughts?


Great ideas, the teacher should act as a supervisor to all the kids, but they should still know the subject they are supervising in case the students have questions. That social period is a good idea to keep the kids involved, it would probably make the kids actually enjoy school, if I may be so bold.
What is the most resilient parasite? An Idea.
Lionheart
Posts: 520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 6:11:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I completely agree.

This is a schooling system that me and some friends thought of one night while we were having some drinks and discussing the inefficiency of America's schooling system.

I think this kind of schooling would be a great replacement.
"Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power."


- Lionheart -
Austin96
Posts: 56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 2:07:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/5/2011 8:41:10 PM, CrazyRepublican wrote:
At 5/5/2011 2:18:34 PM, Austin96 wrote:
At 5/3/2011 9:52:56 PM, CrazyRepublican wrote:
At 4/25/2011 2:01:22 PM, Austin96 wrote:
The American grading/schooling system is extremely flawed. Here's my completely new way of schooling. First off, I think that absolutely everything should be individually based. Though I think we should keep elementary school relatively the same. Once you reach middle school, everything should be learned at home. And instead of tax dollars going towards the public schooling system in place now, they should go towards kids who don't have computers. Which leads to my next idea, that all schooling should be online. By schooling being online, it allows students to progress faster. Which leads to another idea, that once you're in middle school, you should be able to earn high school credit for taking high school classes. I also think that grade should be divided into age groups, rather than what it is now. And finally, we should have fewer teachers that are more qualified rather than many teachers who aren't as high quality as others. Doing this will help students progress faster as well as getting a higher quality education, which could, in the future, help our country thrive in every aspect

you are right it is flawed, however i disagree with the whole online education premise for three reasons
: 1) most students cant self teach themselves on the computer, which is why it would be better to just be using a teacher.

The students would not teach themselves. If you have ever done online schooling, they actually have teachers that guide you through and help you

: 2) if a student is educated online rather than in a classroom with other peirs than the student wouldn't be taught a very crucial subject for their life and that is social skills, which are needed when aplying for a job and having a good relationship with the people that they will find themselves surrounded by.


I ran into a bit of a hole here, but I am currently thinking of something that may fix that problem. I'm just revising it right now.


: 3) because it would cause problems for most working class families because in todays economy both parents or parent( if the student has a single parent) must work to provide the sufficient amount of funds to support the family so there would be nobody to oversee this type of education and to make sure the student doesnt get into trouble.


Parents still don't have a very good idea if their kids are getting into trouble whether they're at school or not. Students would be required to log in at a certain time until they get their assignments done. If they don't log in, parents would be notified.
: and i also disagree with your premise that says to get rid of most of the teachers and keep the more qualified ones, because first off their arnt that many qualified teachers to begin with, and if you did what you are saying then each teacher would be overloaded with students the proper solution would be to spend more tax dollars and educate the teachers better and lower the the amount of students per teacher, but baseing the edcucation on the computer and firing most of the teachers would not work.

The problem with teachers is that most of them give you busy work and leave you in the dark. Reducing the teachers and putting in more qualified teachers (I would like to put a tougher training system in place) IS in fact the solution. They did a study on 100 high schools around the country that all varied in teacher/student ratio. The average scores were all almost the same. They found that most students who did poorly on the test had parents who were either divorced, single parent, both worked away from home, or their parents were married out of wedlock. Student/teacher ratio does not affect education (unless the student/teacher ratio is ridiculously high).

1) Then whats the point of online schooling if there is a teacher right there doing the same job as they normaly would do in the classroom, you might as well not have to deal with the low social skills problem and let the students go to the classroom and give the teacher a job.

3) The fact that they have to be logged does not solve the issue. The students at schools have teachers right there beside them making sure they dont get into trouble, whereas if they are on a online program the student can login and walk away and do whatever they want. The student is better of going to school where there is actual assistance right there beside them.

And for the last I don't go to public school i go to a private school where there are less students per teacher and the majority have perfect grades that most public and online schools can't compete with, However this brings me to my 5th arguement that the problem is not souly on the teachers. It is the curiculum that the public school teaches that is the heart of the problem. It needs to be more rigurious than that of how it is now. My proof is the school systems in China and Japan that have academic scores that triumphs over that of the U.S. schools, this is because they are more strict and rigurious when it comes to both behavior and acedemics and they base their schools on the classroom. Thus we do not need online schooling.

With the whole students can just walk away from the computer thing, if they want to make poor choices at the expense of their own education then they can go right ahead and do so. It would act as a filter for kids who don't care vs. kids who do care. I will have to post a different but similar idea of my new schooling system i have which makes a few changes to the one i have originally posted.
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell.
Austin96
Posts: 56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 2:08:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/10/2011 6:11:47 PM, Lionheart wrote:
I completely agree.

This is a schooling system that me and some friends thought of one night while we were having some drinks and discussing the inefficiency of America's schooling system.

I think this kind of schooling would be a great replacement.

That's a pretty good idea. I like it.
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell.