Jump to topic:

Real revolutionary schooling

Austin96
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 6:06:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The American grading/schooling system is extremely flawed. Here's my completely new way of schooling. First off, I think that absolutely everything should be individually based. Doing so will allow students to progress at their own speed, rather than wasting time with familiar material or not getting enough time to understand the material .

Once you reach middle school, everything should be learned at home. And instead of tax dollars going towards the public schooling system in place now, they should go towards providing kids with the tools necessary to have a high quality education. We can do so by repealing the "No Child Left Behind" act that was put in place by President Bush, because everything will be individually based.

All schooling should be online. By schooling being online, it allows students to progress faster. Which leads to another idea, that once you're in middle school, you should be able to earn high school credit for taking high school classes. This would also provide a guaranteed safe learning environment. I would not be opposed to creating a smart phone/ipad app that would allow you to attend school despite your location.

We should have fewer teachers that are more qualified rather than many teachers who aren't as high quality as others. Doing this will help students progress faster as well as getting a higher quality education, which could, in the future, help our country thrive in every aspect.

There is also a HUGE problem with our curriculum. I believe that we should have a history core test, as I believe it is the most important subject one can learn. Robert Penn Warren once said: "Historical sense and poetic sense should not, in the end, be contradictory, for if poetry is the little myth we make, history is the big myth we live, and in our living, constantly remake". If students learn and understand history from a young age, we are not as prone to make past mistakes in the future.

Another problem with our curriculum is the English subject. The English subject consists of a vast sea of components that are completely different from each other and are hard to grasp at one time. If we divided those components up into different courses, students would be able to grasp and understand the English language much better than we do today. Examples of the classes include: reading, writing, parts of speech, and oral presentation (not in that order).

My last idea will help prevent and possibly eliminate cheating on tests. Tax dollars would be used to build testing centers with cubicles and computers that will not let you go onto the Internet. The tests will all be differently numbered, so that students can't Photoshop their tests, nor can they discuss the answers with friends who missed the test.

Doing these things will insure a more prepared and educated America in the future.
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 12:27:15 AM
let me get this straight, you want one teacher for every child? people still have to do other sh*t you know. lol.

seriously though, we either under-emphasize or inefficiently practice education in this country, probably both. though designing a curriculum tailored to each student's individual needs would be ideal, in that it would maximize learning, it has a high cost in that a large number of individuals would need to focus on teaching rather than any other activity. similarly, if we were to invest a much larger portion of our resources to auto design, we would probably decrease the death toll from highway accidents fairly drastically- but we'd have to cut back investment in education, cancer research, etc. its easy to fix something like education if you're willing to devote a large fraction of your resources towards it, but its nonsensical to devote, say, more effort and resource to teaching than to doing. as much as i love learning for its own sake, i love eating more.

i actually only read the first paragraph of that lol, but already plenty to say. maybe i'll read more later.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 1:29:40 AM
Okay, let me just say what I've observed of many ideas in education, I'll perhaps give a deeper post some other time.

Often, many students feel disenchanted with simply learning 1 way in a classroom (ie. textbooks) . So, many students suggest things like the Internet and such, because they thrive better in such an environment. They then go on to suggest all learning be done in such a way. This is a really bad idea.

This essentially imitates a key principle of the education that everyone hates - teaching by just one method. What most needs to be done is recognise that people learn in different ways. Then, people should learn in groups that benefit their way of learning. Also, as a side note, don't you think that students won't pay as much attention if online and such?

In addition to what I think is just a different form of current education, these suggestions have serious practical problems.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Justin_Chains
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2011 6:36:12 PM
1) most students cant self teach themselves on the computer, which is why it would be better to just be using a teacher.

The students would not teach themselves. If you have ever done online schooling, they actually have teachers that guide you through and help you

This is true, the online guides and/or online problem solving tutorials provide the same kind of help that a real life teacher would provide.

2) if a student is educated online rather than in a classroom with other peers than the student wouldn't be taught a very crucial subject for their life and that is social skills, which are needed when applying for a job and having a good relationship with the people that they will find themselves surrounded by.

This is easily solved and it will be tied to my answer for number 3. There should be a 2 hour social period in the middle of the day. Currently most kids turn lunch time into this in public school. It would be like the public school lunch period that we have now, but longer, and with some added social features.

3) because it would cause problems for most working class families because in today's economy both parents or parent( if the student has a single parent) must work to provide the sufficient amount of funds to support the family so there would be nobody to oversee this type of education and to make sure the student doesn't get into trouble.

This could be addressed as follows... make class rooms very large. Say 200 kids to a class. All the kids in the class would use computers (#1) to learn their education. The teacher would be there to act as a supervisor to the overall experience and to make sure everything stays in order. Incorporate number 2 into this kind of a schooling system and you have a great blend of a supervised individual educational learning system that gives students great opportunities to build social skills and experiences.
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2011 6:45:08 PM
At 6/4/2011 6:36:12 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:

3) because it would cause problems for most working class families because in today's economy both parents or parent( if the student has a single parent) must work to provide the sufficient amount of funds to support the family so there would be nobody to oversee this type of education and to make sure the student doesn't get into trouble.

This could be addressed as follows... make class rooms very large. Say 200 kids to a class. All the kids in the class would use computers (#1) to learn their education. The teacher would be there to act as a supervisor to the overall experience and to make sure everything stays in order. Incorporate number 2 into this kind of a schooling system and you have a great blend of a supervised individual educational learning system that gives students great opportunities to build social skills and experiences.

No offence intended here, but that idea is laughable. Ideally students would behave in class and be committed to learning. They aren't. 200 students and 1 supervisor wouldn't make for learning - it'd be chaos. Not that I've been to university (my age) , but people get more and more focused as they age, so basing university style classes on lower age groups doesn't work.

Also, in terms of then whole internet schooling idea, my post covers that. Nevertheless, I'm always up for a discussion on education.
Justin_Chains
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2011 7:52:23 PM
At 6/4/2011 6:45:08 PM, Logic_on_rails wrote:

No offence intended here, but that idea is laughable. Ideally students would behave in class and be committed to learning. They aren't. 200 students and 1 supervisor wouldn't make for learning - it'd be chaos. Not that I've been to university (my age) , but people get more and more focused as they age, so basing university style classes on lower age groups doesn't work.

Also, in terms of then whole internet schooling idea, my post covers that. Nevertheless, I'm always up for a discussion on education.

I think that handling a class of 200 might be different from a smaller class on certain levels, but the enforcement principles would be the same. So maybe make the classes 100 students.. I was just giving example. Students act up because they don't enjoy learning, my goal would be to make education more fun and more efficient at developing knowledge at t scale of the specific student. Not all students are the same and they should not all be expected to learn the same.

I am open to new ideas for education as well.

What do you propose in opposition of; in exchange of; or in addition to; what I propose?
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2011 11:21:10 PM
At 6/4/2011 7:52:23 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:

I think that handling a class of 200 might be different from a smaller class on certain levels, but the enforcement principles would be the same. So maybe make the classes 100 students.. I was just giving example. Students act up because they don't enjoy learning, my goal would be to make education more fun and more efficient at developing knowledge at t scale of the specific student. Not all students are the same and they should not all be expected to learn the same.

What do you propose in opposition of; in exchange of; or in addition to; what I propose?

Okay, the first thing I'll say is that I'm not going to pretend I have a magic answer. Approaches have been tried many years and such. Also, there are so many factors to consider in education that to write all my views up would take quite a while. That's why entire government departments are set up to deal with such issues.

What I most want to press home is that people learn in different ways and act differently. It's hard to put it more simply, but people are just different. Some respect authority, some don't. Some like the academic side of things, some don't etc. Now, undoubtedly we are heavily influenced by our families, friends and such, although much of what we will and won't like is also genetically influenced. The thing is that currently we don't know enough about what good parenting and such is, especially given how people are different. Basically, understanding how we are influenced and such would be a good first step. We don't know enough about emotions, thinking etc.

However, I think it's a bit lazy of me to just say I don't know and that choice is the answer. One point to consider is that there are practical implications - people simply can't afford perfect, tailored education, so some type of system (wider than current though) should be set up. Although I haven't been in it, I support an integration of current learning with the Montessori system -http://en.wikipedia.org...

Another key point (1 among many key points which I don't have time to discuss) is what do we want students to learn? Well, obviously the more the better. However, it's impractical to believe that a majority of students will want to learn (remember, we don't really know why people like things, although we know that variety helps) . Therefore it's important to concentrate on essentials and make a minimum requirements list. I propose the following (broad, not perfect) ideas:

Good English (like the other ideas, there would be testing)
Maths up to year 9 (remember, these are essentials)
Some skill work (reading tables, graphs etc.)

Now, I think that because of the critical nature of the above to living in society, they must be learnt and should be instructed to if a student struggles with learning it themselves.

I apologise if this is vague, but it's hard to convey certain ideas, and I'm pressed for time. It might be easier if you put up a couple of proposals that you agree with and I address those. That way, I don't have the Herculean task of creating an education system.
Justin_Chains
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2011 7:14:25 PM
At 6/4/2011 11:21:10 PM, Logic_on_rails wrote:
At 6/4/2011 7:52:23 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:

Okay, the first thing I'll say is that I'm not going to pretend I have a magic answer. Approaches have been tried many years and such. Also, there are so many factors to consider in education that to write all my views up would take quite a while. That's why entire government departments are set up to deal with such issues.

What I most want to press home is that people learn in different ways and act differently. It's hard to put it more simply, but people are just different. Some respect authority, some don't. Some like the academic side of things, some don't etc. Now, undoubtedly we are heavily influenced by our families, friends and such, although much of what we will and won't like is also genetically influenced. The thing is that currently we don't know enough about what good parenting and such is, especially given how people are different. Basically, understanding how we are influenced and such would be a good first step. We don't know enough about emotions, thinking etc.

However, I think it's a bit lazy of me to just say I don't know and that choice is the answer. One point to consider is that there are practical implications - people simply can't afford perfect, tailored education, so some type of system (wider than current though) should be set up. Although I haven't been in it, I support an integration of current learning with the Montessori system -http://en.wikipedia.org...

Another key point (1 among many key points which I don't have time to discuss) is what do we want students to learn? Well, obviously the more the better. However, it's impractical to believe that a majority of students will want to learn (remember, we don't really know why people like things, although we know that variety helps) . Therefore it's important to concentrate on essentials and make a minimum requirements list. I propose the following (broad, not perfect) ideas:

Good English (like the other ideas, there would be testing)
Maths up to year 9 (remember, these are essentials)
Some skill work (reading tables, graphs etc.)

Now, I think that because of the critical nature of the above to living in society, they must be learnt and should be instructed to if a student struggles with learning it themselves.

I apologise if this is vague, but it's hard to convey certain ideas, and I'm pressed for time. It might be easier if you put up a couple of proposals that you agree with and I address those. That way, I don't have the Herculean task of creating an education system.

I think subjects up until the age of ten should be....

Basic Math, Basic English, Basic Earth Science, Basic Nutrition, and Basic Physiology.

Age 5 - Basic English

Age 6 - Basic Math

Age 7 - Basic Earth Science

Age 8 - Basic Physiology

Age 9 - Basic Nutrition

Age 10 - Dedicated to exploring what the child's special interests are.

Age 11-15 - Special interest education classes

Age 15-20 - Hands on training, internships, special training, etc.

Age 20 - Certifications, Degrees, etc.