Jump to topic:

What Can I Do With This Degree?

Osiris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 4:30:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm set to graduate next year with my B.A. in Psychology, but I have no idea what kind things I can do with that. I'm aware that I'd need a PhD to do a lot of things (which is why I'm also majoring in nursing as a fall back), but there has to be something...
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 4:31:24 PM
At 5/18/2011 4:30:08 PM, Osiris wrote:
I'm set to graduate next year with my B.A. in Psychology, but I have no idea what kind things I can do with that. I'm aware that I'd need a PhD to do a lot of things (which is why I'm also majoring in nursing as a fall back), but there has to be something...

You can apply to any job and say "hire me, I have a degree!"
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 4:32:13 PM
You'd be suprised at how many jobs want people to have a degree, but never check what the degree is in, what the person's GPA was, or even care what school it came from.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 4:43:28 PM
It's a rarity that people with a BS or BA to work in their field of study. OreEle is right. A lot of places just want the piece of paper. You could have a Masters in Underwater Basking Weaving and they wouldn't care so long as you have a diploma.

But if you'd like to stay in that field, there's no shortage of hospitals or private practices looking for psych techs or anything behavioral related.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 8:45:21 AM
What you should do is apply to an assortment of jobs you're interested in, and then on your resume (or in the cover letter) explain how you can apply your psych degree to that particular job. For instance if it's a marketing or PR job, you can say that your psych degree gives you insight on how to understand or reach people. If it's a social work job, you can say you know how to deal with people who are fragile or stressed.

If the job you're applying for has no relation to psych then you're SOL, though you can BS a way for psych to apply to pretty much anything. My gf majored in psych (but also Philosophy) so I've been helping her with this recently. I told her to talk about how her Philosophy degree made her a great analytical thinker and problem solver which helped on a few cover letters. The whole point of a resume is just to make yourself sound awesome; the important thing is to nail the interview.

Why on earth did you major in Psych though unless you wanted to go into Psych specifically? It's among the most popular majors and there aren't many Psych specific jobs. Vi used to want to do neuropsych.That woulda been interesting.
President of DDO
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2011 3:19:21 AM
The economy is still bad; now is a great time to invest in a Ph.D., and you'll earn much more once you graduate with another degree. I just read an article in the NY Times about how more college graduates than ever are taking jobs that don't even require a college degree.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2011 10:41:19 AM
At 5/22/2011 3:19:21 AM, bluesteel wrote:
The economy is still bad; now is a great time to invest in a Ph.D., and you'll earn much more once you graduate with another degree. I just read an article in the NY Times about how more college graduates than ever are taking jobs that don't even require a college degree.

The job market for Psychology PhDs won't be that great when you graduate, since so many people are doing the exact same thing, (and the economy will still be in the toilet in 4-5 years). If it's something you're really passionate about, sure, but it's a bad idea if you're only doing it because you have no other options.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2011 10:52:23 AM

So you graduate and then you start wondering what you can do with your degree. Seriously?
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2011 10:55:47 AM
You should already have had a job lined up your junior year. When you're in college, you have the best networking opportunities you'll have for a while.

Doesn't your college have a website for networking and career opportunities?
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2011 6:02:01 PM
At 5/22/2011 10:55:47 AM, askbob wrote:
You should already have had a job lined up your junior year. When you're in college, you have the best networking opportunities you'll have for a while.

House parties often conflict with job fairs. Why can't those employers just reschedule?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2011 6:22:14 PM
You can wipe your arse with it.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Osiris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2011 11:25:56 AM
At 5/22/2011 10:55:47 AM, askbob wrote:

No, actually. My school is very new and very small. I've been working with one of my professors since I was a sophomore to set up a "social sciences" club for that very purpose (networking, guest speakers in the field, etc.). Also, senior year is when psych majors do their internships, so I'm hoping by the club will be set up and/or I rock the internship and they want to hire me after.
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire
thomaslues
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2011 6:50:17 AM
For Bachelors in psychology -jobs possibilities in variety of settings. Counseling centers, private practices, hospitals or clinics are the most popular ones. Students with Bachelors in psychology may also work independently helping people overcome hard times, such as divorce, death in the family or home abuse issues.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2011 1:16:04 AM
Yes, counseling of various kinds and general office work. Also consider getting a certificate in some kind of social work -- that leads to government social work. Consider also law enforcement, working in the personnel department in a large company, civil service especially related to regulation, teaching school, or a paid job in a charity office.

I'd recommend a large organization if you can find one. Once you get in, there will be more opportunities for advancement, and new staff is usually not pressed so hard.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 8:17:11 AM

When studying dentistry, students practice the phrase "open wide."

When studying medicine, students practice the phrase "take deep breaths."

When studying subjects such as psychology, drama or media studies, students practice the phrase "would you like fries with that?"

The problem is that there are far more students of psychology than there are professional vacancies for graduates of that discipline.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...