Discussion on Potential Majors

DeadLeaves93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2011 2:30:08 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hello DDO,
I've been away from this site for a while, but I'm stopping by to ask you guys some questions regarding the college majors I've been pondering over.

I'm graduating high school this week, and will be attending the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in the Fall. I've been thinking and thinking about what major I want to go with, even though I know most students change their majors several times and it is impractical for me to expect to know exactly what major is right at this point.

That being said, I'd just like some input from you guys on your opinions, experiences, and information with the six majors I have narrowed down, and generally what you think overall about each major and perhaps their job prospectives as well.

These majors are:
-Computer Science
-Economics
-History
-Journalism and Mass Communication
-Political Science
-Psychology

For reference, I enjoy History and English classes very much. I do alright in Math, but due to having no math classes my junior year of high school, I struggled in pre-calculus this year. I do alright in science as well, but did not enjoy some of my classes. (Hated Biology and Chemistry, liked Environmental and Physical Science).
"At last, my arm is complete again!"
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2011 3:17:12 AM
At 6/8/2011 2:30:08 AM, DeadLeaves93 wrote:
Hello DDO,
I've been away from this site for a while, but I'm stopping by to ask you guys some questions regarding the college majors I've been pondering over.

I'm graduating high school this week, and will be attending the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in the Fall. I've been thinking and thinking about what major I want to go with, even though I know most students change their majors several times and it is impractical for me to expect to know exactly what major is right at this point.

That being said, I'd just like some input from you guys on your opinions, experiences, and information with the six majors I have narrowed down, and generally what you think overall about each major and perhaps their job prospectives as well.

These majors are:
-Computer Science
-Economics
-History
-Journalism and Mass Communication
-Political Science
-Psychology

For reference, I enjoy History and English classes very much. I do alright in Math, but due to having no math classes my junior year of high school, I struggled in pre-calculus this year. I do alright in science as well, but did not enjoy some of my classes. (Hated Biology and Chemistry, liked Environmental and Physical Science).

Honestly, in this economy i would go with the most practical, i.e. that which will most likely help you get a job, and one that pays well. If you were to combine computer science with economics, or even better, swap out economics with marketing, you can find a job more readily. I know three people with degrees in history who are unemployed, and political science, which was my major, is really only useful if you plan on going to grad school, same with psychology. Journalism is good, but the competition is fierce, and the pay in those jobs now is pretty low if you can get one.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2011 3:34:03 AM
Double major in economics and computer science and you'll be BA in terms of employability. Economics majors and computer science majors earn the most out of college.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2011 3:34:03 PM
You don't have to decide until like the end of sophomore year, right?

Seriously look into Econ and Comp Sci because both of these are pretty handy skills that will make you valuable on the job market. Third would probably be PolSci, but you should do what you're interested in because you need to take a lot of classes and college shouldn't be hell. I wouldn't double major in Econ and Comp Sci because it's two completely different areas and both are really tough.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2011 11:00:30 AM
At 6/8/2011 2:30:08 AM, DeadLeaves93 wrote:
These majors are:
-Computer Science -- PROBS YOUR BEST BET
-Economics -- I WOULDN'T... (lots of people in the financial sector need jobs)
-History -- NO, WTF FOR?
-Journalism and Mass Communication -- DEFINITELY NOT!
-Political Science -- WHY GOD WHY
-Psychology -- NOOO

If I liked math, I'd definitely go for engineering. Architectural, Biomedical, Electrical, Aerospace, Agricultural, Mechanical, Chemical, Geotechnical, Computer... There are a lot of options within that broad field that could prepare you for a plethora of future careers. You can specialize depending on your interests and aptitude, but IMO it's a pretty safe and useful major.
President of DDO
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2011 11:39:02 AM
No on all of those majors unless maybe computer science and that is only if you like to code.

If you like computers then a major like Computer Engineering or Information Technology.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
CiRrK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2011 11:46:27 AM
Oh nice Chapel Hill. : ) Like 2 hrs away from me - Im at Wake Forest. And idk, Im partial to political science. But ant to do....cause a lot of those majors are different from each other.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2011 11:47:48 AM
Majors that are going to get you jobs and the big bucks

Engineering - with the holy grail being petroleum engineering
Math - Then Pharmacy
Physicians Assistance programs
Actuarial Science (100k jobs fresh out of school)
Computer Science
Computer Engineering
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2011 11:48:25 AM
At 6/12/2011 11:46:27 AM, CiRrK wrote:
Oh nice Chapel Hill. : ) Like 2 hrs away from me - Im at Wake Forest. And idk, Im partial to political science. But ant to do....cause a lot of those majors are different from each other.

For all the intelligence you possess, you're seriously considering political science? Don't be a dumbass kevin.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2011 11:49:33 AM
At 6/8/2011 3:34:03 AM, darkkermit wrote:
Double major in economics and computer science and you'll be BA in terms of employability. Economics majors and computer science majors earn the most out of college.

no lol economics majors definetly do not. In the business realm economics is for people who can't hack finance/accounting. lower gpa requirements for the major etc.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2011 11:52:05 AM
At 6/12/2011 11:40:58 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 6/8/2011 3:34:03 AM, darkkermit wrote:

Finance majors can double the income of econ majors while halving the work. :P

hahaha i wish.

They double the income, but halving the work lol no freaking way. If you want to make the big bucks you work 90 hour weeks on wall street. If you're more intelligent than that you work 50 hour weeks at a corporation.

Also it's hard to get a job in finance. There is a lot of glamor to working on wall street thus there are tons of people who want to get into the major. You really have to be good/lucky in order to get a job.
CiRrK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2011 11:57:15 AM
At 6/12/2011 11:48:25 AM, askbob wrote:
At 6/12/2011 11:46:27 AM, CiRrK wrote:

For all the intelligence you possess, you're seriously considering political science? Don't be a dumbass kevin.

Ha. Yes I am. Double major poli-sci and philosophy, or poli-sci and econ. Besides Im probably going to go to law school anyway, and majors dont matter much in consideration. Also, if not that I want to work for the State Department or CIA (obviously either in foreign policy + diplomacy or human intelligence)
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2011 12:01:53 PM
At 6/12/2011 11:57:15 AM, CiRrK wrote:
Im probably going to go to law school anyway, and majors dont matter much in consideration. Also, if not that I want to work for the State Department or CIA (obviously either in foreign policy + diplomacy or human intelligence)

1. Law is the last place you want to be right now. Most people who couldn't get jobs during the recession decided to go to law school and will be lawyers 2 years ahead of you. Competition will be at the highest its been in a long time.

2. The future value of cost of law school compared to the increase in salary takes at least 15 - 20 years to pan out depending upon how well you do investing

3. You want to take majors that you can actually use if you find that law school is a bad option. I also wanted to go to law school until I got near graduation and found out that I was good with investing and thus law school would never pay itself off while taking extra risk. I was happy I had a major that I could get a decent job in. Both of your majors are jokes. You won't get a job in them.

And CIA and State Dept? There's goals and then there is reality. Shoot for your goals, but have back up plans in case reality sets in.
CiRrK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2011 12:08:35 PM
At 6/12/2011 12:01:53 PM, askbob wrote:
At 6/12/2011 11:57:15 AM, CiRrK wrote:
Im probably going to go to law school anyway, and majors dont matter much in consideration. Also, if not that I want to work for the State Department or CIA (obviously either in foreign policy + diplomacy or human intelligence)

1. Law is the last place you want to be right now. Most people who couldn't get jobs during the recession decided to go to law school and will be lawyers 2 years ahead of you. Competition will be at the highest its been in a long time.

2. The future value of cost of law school compared to the increase in salary takes at least 15 - 20 years to pan out depending upon how well you do investing

3. You want to take majors that you can actually use if you find that law school is a bad option. I also wanted to go to law school until I got near graduation and found out that I was good with investing and thus law school would never pay itself off while taking extra risk. I was happy I had a major that I could get a decent job in. Both of your majors are jokes. You won't get a job in them.

And CIA and State Dept? There's goals and then there is reality. Shoot for your goals, but have back up plans in case reality sets in.

All points well taken : ) The lawyer glut has deterred me slightly but we will see. And haha getting a job at the State Dpt or CIA isnt too difficult, I have family friends who are in both.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2011 12:11:33 PM
At 6/12/2011 12:08:35 PM, CiRrK wrote:
And haha getting a job at the State Dpt or CIA isnt too difficult, I have family friends who are in both.

I would talk to the them about the feasibility of getting in, if it's good then sure go for it. I'm just leery about not having a back up plan in your majors.
joeraman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 4:31:49 AM
Its nice post provides a lots of data on topic also give some more information related to topic.

For more information on Education in India, visit http://www.indicareer.com...
THE_OPINIONATOR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 10:32:27 AM
I would say political science but I suggested that to my parents and they simply laughed and said "then the credits you acquire at Central Academy would be useless go into Biotechnology" I simply don't know what to do but I have two years left to ponder the ideas.
My Blog: Life Through The Eyes of a Christian

http://bloggingforjchrist.blogspot.com...

Life Through The Eyes of a Christian Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com...
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 4:28:59 PM
With the fields of biology, you could become a physician on many subjects: neurology, cardiology, dentistry, ventinary medicine, and so on.

As with the subject of history, the obvious choice of profession is the historian. But there are apparently many fields of history that you can explore, in regard to the variegated forms of the social sciences: history, anthropology, psychology, political science, economics, and so on.

Even with the English major, a poet and prose writer are available for occupation...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau