Send a Message
7/1/2011 9:32:32 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I would like to ask the members to share their favorite authors of:
Novels?
Poems?
Philosophical works?
Drama (theatre/plays)?

If you wish to share authors from other genres and kinds of literature, please do so.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
rarugged
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 10:24:15 PM
GEORGE R R MARTIN, BUY HIS NEW BOOK DANCE WITH DRAGONS!!!!!!

And Steven Erikson is pretty damn legit.
If Jesus came back tomorrow, a cross would be the last thing he would want to see.
Tim_Spin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 10:35:30 PM
At 7/1/2011 9:32:32 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
Novels?

Albert Camus. The Stranger is one of my favorite novels of all time.

Poems?

Not really into poetry. Though I like Jim Morrison if that counts.

Philosophical works?

David Hume. He's very pleasant to read.

Drama (theatre/plays)?

None.

If you wish to share authors from other genres and kinds of literature, please do so.
Astonished, the talent agent asks the man what him and his family call their act.The man responds, "The Aristocrats!"
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 10:38:28 PM
Novels?

George Orwell and Stephen King
Poems?

E.E. Cummings or Taylor Mali
Philosophical works?

I haven't read many of these yet, but I'd like to read Atlas Shrugged and something by Albert Camus this summer.
Drama (theatre/plays)?

I only recently started reading these, but I liked The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams.

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 10:40:15 PM
At 7/1/2011 10:34:02 PM, Minuteman wrote:
At 7/1/2011 10:30:55 PM, FREEDO wrote:
charleslb

I just finished reading Atlas Shrugged, interesting book.

It was ok. I want to read the Romantic Manifesto.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Tim_Spin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 10:40:37 PM
At 7/1/2011 10:38:28 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
Novels?

Poems?

Philosophical works?

I haven't read many of these yet, but I'd like to read Atlas Shrugged and something by Albert Camus this summer.

Atlas Shrugged does not count as philosophy. And Camus' only good philosophical work was 'The Myth of Sisyphus' which was really just a long essay. Though it was an excellent piece of work.

Drama (theatre/plays)?

I only recently started reading these, but I liked The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams.

Astonished, the talent agent asks the man what him and his family call their act.The man responds, "The Aristocrats!"
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 10:51:11 PM
At 7/1/2011 10:40:37 PM, Tim_Spin wrote:
At 7/1/2011 10:38:28 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
Novels?

Poems?

Philosophical works?

Atlas Shrugged does not count as philosophy. And Camus' only good philosophical work was 'The Myth of Sisyphus' which was really just a long essay. Though it was an excellent piece of work.

Ok, Atlas Shrugged can go in "novels", and I don't really know where to put Camus, apparently there's a distinction between "novels written by philosophers" and "philosophy" that I didn't know about when I wrote this list. I'm going to have to go figure that out. I don't know that either of those were relevant to the thread anyway, they can't be my favorite if I haven't read them yet.

Drama (theatre/plays)?

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2011 11:46:19 AM
Novels?
I would, most possibly, state that Charles Bronte was my favorite. I prefer her "Jane Eyre" over the other novels that I have read: "The Scarlet Letter" and "The House of the Seven Gables" by Nathaniel Hawthorne, the works of Mark Twain, and so on.
Poems?
This is a bet tough. I have Dante (Inferno*), Bai Juyi, and Goethe in the top tier. I admire Dante for his "Divine Comedy", which included some of the most expansive imaginative views of hell and the afterlife, Bai Juyi for his beautiful, and crystal clear verse, and Goethe for his own work. I am not too much of a fan for the Romantic poets, though I did admire Coolerdige's "The Tale of the Rime Mariner.
Philosophical works?
Drama (theatre/plays)?
It'd be Goethe or Jean Racine, Goethe for his wondrous, two part-play Faust, or Racine for his own tragedies. Either way, both are momentous individuals in the history of European literature.

"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2011 12:33:02 PM
I'm going to be butchered about this from some of the more philosophically minded members of this site, but Richard Dawkins really is a great popular science writer. The Selfish Gene, The Blind Watchmaker and The Ancestor's Tale are all wonderful books.
Tim_Spin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2011 4:26:26 PM
At 7/2/2011 12:33:02 PM, Kinesis wrote:
I'm going to be butchered about this from some of the more philosophically minded members of this site, but Richard Dawkins really is a great popular science writer. The Selfish Gene, The Blind Watchmaker and The Ancestor's Tale are all wonderful books.

Why would you get butchered? Dawkins is a great writer on subjects of evolutionary biology and the like. Now if you had put that your favorite philosophical work was The God Delusion, you might get butchered.