Jump to topic:

Advanced Placement classes

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 1:19:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I am now currently going to enroll in an AP world history class. Would any of you members want to share your experience in an AP class? I am interested in the criterion [for grading], homework, assignments, and lesson plans that are part of these Advanced Placement classes. I do feel a bit intimidated, since I was informed that it was a college course, though, nevertheless, I endeavored to do so.

This was a re-post of a forum in the debate category....
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 1:45:05 PM
It depends on the teacher. One of my AP class,US history, I had a teacher who should have been fired (thank you tenure) a long time ago. We did absolutely nothing in the class.

In my opinion, AP classes aren't that bad. I actually found a lot of them easier then some of my other classes, since I found it challenging and interesting.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 1:53:47 PM
It really depends on the class and the teacher.

I only took AP Chemistry (everything else was taken at college while in HS). I found that it didn't really match what college was like. I remember when I took my first college test (algebra II) at age 13. After finishing the test, I went back to my desk and sat down and waited until the end of class. I didn't know that when you finished the test, you were free to leave the class.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 2:30:14 PM
At 7/15/2011 2:21:53 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
I am also enrolling in AP European History next year. Anyone taken that?

I am.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 2:31:19 PM
At 7/15/2011 1:53:47 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
I only took AP Chemistry (everything else was taken at college while in HS). I found that it didn't really match what college was like. I remember when I took my first college test (algebra II) at age 13. After finishing the test, I went back to my desk and sat down and waited until the end of class. I didn't know that when you finished the test, you were free to leave the class.

What kind of HS did you attend?
Contradiction
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 2:59:04 PM
I took 4 AP classes in high school, and self-studied another four. Of the four I took, two of them were online classes. Honestly, the difficulty of the curriculum will vary based on the teacher. In my experience the classes aren't that difficult -- you just have a ton of work to do. Grading (FRQs, at least) depend largely on a pre-determined rubric that the teacher follows.

My scores, if you were wondering:

AP English Language (took in conventional classroom): 5
AP US History (took online): 5
AP Psychology (self-studied): 5
AP World History (self-studied): 4
AP English Literature (took in conventional classroom): 4
AP US Government (took online): 4
AP European History (self-studied): 4
AP Comparative Government (self-studied): 3

If you have the time, I'd recommend a self-study. They're a piece of cake -- I'm not even kidding. For AP psych, I spent a few weeks reading two review books cover-to-cover. I don't think I missed a single question on the exam. For AP euro, I read the book the day before the exam and still got a 4. For AP comparative government --- all I did (literally) was read Wikipedia the night before.
Contradiction
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 3:01:05 PM
I should also mention that you should try to take as many AP classes you can without overloading yourself. Though Ivy league colleges won't give you credit for it, they expect you to have challenged yourself. At schools which do give you credit (most do), it can be very useful. I'm starting college with 33 credits (more than a year!) just from AP.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 6:18:19 PM
I just got my first scores back today.
US History - 5
English Language - 5
Art History - 4

All taken in conventional classrooms. AP classes are really not as hard as they're cracked up to be. It's like being in honors, except there's a standardized test at the end. And the standardized test is easier than the class, because you can get a 4, which most colleges accept as at least some if not full credit, by getting around 50% of the test correct. Yes, 50%. Next year, I plan to take:

- Psychology
- European History
- Us Government
- English Literature
- Deciding between World and one of the Econs. Of those, anyone have any suggestions as to which is easier? If it helps, I'm not very good at math. Thanks.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 7:56:15 PM
Thank you all for the contributions to this site. I hope other members will share their advice as well.

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 8:43:06 PM
At 7/15/2011 8:22:39 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
@Man-is-good

I think you blocked me for some reason. I cant post comments to your profile, send you a PM etc.

You can post on my profile and send me a message. My apologies for the inconvenience.

Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 11:45:33 PM
At 7/15/2011 8:43:06 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 7/15/2011 8:22:39 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
@Man-is-good

I think you blocked me for some reason. I cant post comments to your profile, send you a PM etc.

You can post on my profile and send me a message. My apologies for the inconvenience.

no prob
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 12:51:10 AM
At 7/15/2011 2:31:19 PM, wjmelements wrote:

Regular public school.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 12:57:45 AM
At 7/16/2011 12:51:10 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Regular public school.

I'm taking Alg 2 at age 15... :( I feel retarded now.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 1:09:14 AM
At 7/16/2011 12:57:45 AM, Rockylightning wrote:

Regular public school.

I should have taken it at 14, which is normally 1 year ahead, but I wanted to get it out of the way so I took it as an accelerated course over the summer at a community college.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 1:17:19 AM
At 7/16/2011 12:57:45 AM, Rockylightning wrote:

Regular public school.

Don't. I'm awful at math, like awful. My report card is actually hilarious. Straight As and honors/APs for every subject but math (and science if it is math related) which I'm in the lowest track for and get... well, let's just say at least I passed. BTW, I took algebra 2 when I was 17. (That was this past year.)
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 1:17:38 AM
At 7/15/2011 6:18:19 PM, jat93 wrote:
- Deciding between World and one of the Econs. Of those, anyone have any suggestions as to which is easier? If it helps, I'm not very good at math. Thanks.

I have taken World Geography and Microeconomics. I highly recommend micro over macro if you're going for easy. World Geography and Microeconomics are about the same in terms of difficulty, but World Geography is more terms and vocabulary while Microeconomics is more about understanding concepts. The math in micro is no more complicated than calculating the area of a triangle.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 1:19:34 AM
At 7/15/2011 2:59:04 PM, Contradiction wrote:
For AP comparative government --- all I did (literally) was read Wikipedia the night before.

I see that's what you did, but what would you recommend to someone trying to self-study and score a 5?
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 1:22:18 AM
At 7/16/2011 1:17:38 AM, wjmelements wrote:

I have taken World Geography and Microeconomics. I highly recommend micro over macro if you're going for easy. World Geography and Microeconomics are about the same in terms of difficulty, but World Geography is more terms and vocabulary while Microeconomics is more about understanding concepts. The math in micro is no more complicated than calculating the area of a triangle.

Thanks for the advice on Econ. But also, I was referring to World History. Thought the AP for Geography was called Human Geography. Either way, coming from someone who is good at english/history, taking AP Euro next year, and got a 5 on AP US with minimal effort, would World History be a good idea? Wait, I don't even know if you took it...
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 1:25:31 AM
At 7/16/2011 1:22:18 AM, jat93 wrote:

Thanks for the advice on Econ. But also, I was referring to World History. Thought the AP for Geography was called Human Geography. Either way, coming from someone who is good at english/history, taking AP Euro next year, and got a 5 on AP US with minimal effort, would World History be a good idea? Wait, I don't even know if you took it...

I took World History also. The coursework is heavy and AP World is probably the hardest humanities test.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 2:25:59 PM
At 7/16/2011 1:25:31 AM, wjmelements wrote:
At 7/16/2011 1:22:18 AM, jat93 wrote:

I took World History also. The coursework is heavy and AP World is probably the hardest humanities test.

So in other words, not worth a self-study? (I'm currently debating between world history and micro.)
Contradiction
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 3:13:52 PM
At 7/16/2011 1:19:34 AM, wjmelements wrote:
For AP comparative government --- all I did (literally) was read Wikipedia the night before.

I see that's what you did, but what would you recommend to someone trying to self-study and score a 5?

If you want to score a 5, then that's no problem at all -- just put more time into studying. For AP Psychology, I studied for a total of about three weeks, spending an hour or two each day and reading two review books back-to-back. I aced the test with a 5. For the other self-studies, I wasn't that motivated.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 3:21:32 PM
this year in 9th grade, I wasn't in any ap classes, but for honors biology, they told us that was a college course too.

If that's any thing like your AP world history course, then you have nothing to worry about. You get used to it very quickly and it becomes an easy class. Though I must say, I think viewing a course as intimidating and difficult makes you get better grades because your studying adjusts accordingly. So, Good Luck.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 3:24:34 PM
At 7/16/2011 3:13:52 PM, Contradiction wrote:

If you want to score a 5, then that's no problem at all -- just put more time into studying. For AP Psychology, I studied for a total of about three weeks, spending an hour or two each day and reading two review books back-to-back. I aced the test with a 5. For the other self-studies, I wasn't that motivated.

So, if I comprehended your advice, I should entail myself to a lengthy study time (perhaps more than weeks). Should I review books, my notes, past test papers, and even read history books to obtain accessory, but potentially useful, information. As you know, I am entering an AP world history class, and I distinctively remember talking with a student---a sophomore-- about it. He gave my an illustration of the past test paper and it seemed that my next year won't be such a predicament as I thought....I also inquired another sophomore, in my foreign language class, about AP world history and learned that it was to cover the beginning of time to quite possibly the current day....

I have one quick question: if the Advanced Placement exams are in May/March, then what do we do in the AP class after the exam? Do we prepare for the Regents in June?

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 3:26:48 PM
At 7/16/2011 3:21:32 PM, 000ike wrote:
this year in 9th grade, I wasn't in any ap classes, but for honors biology, they told us that was a college course too.
I am enrolling in Honor English, so I expect it to be a bit more challenging than my Ninth-grade English class.

If that's any thing like your AP world history course, then you have nothing to worry about. You get used to it very quickly and it becomes an easy class.
I remember the first day when I walked into Brooklyn Tech, I was told to get use to the school by my peers and teachers. So if I can handle Brooklyn Tech, I can at least try to help myself succeed in the higher classes and college courses...

Though I must say, I think viewing a course as intimidating and difficult makes you get better grades because your studying adjusts accordingly. So, Good Luck.
That is true...Thank you for the advice.

jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 3:27:49 PM
At 7/16/2011 3:24:34 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
I have one quick question: if the Advanced Placement exams are in May/March, then what do we do in the AP class after the exam? Do we prepare for the Regents in June?

They are in early May. My school ends in mid June. After the AP, our teachers said we did not have to come to class anymore. It was so awesome. Every day I had at least 4 free periods (3 APs, one lunch) and some days I had a scheduled free, so it was pretty much like having no school.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 3:34:40 PM
At 7/16/2011 3:27:49 PM, jat93 wrote:

They are in early May. My school ends in mid June. After the AP, our teachers said we did not have to come to class anymore. It was so awesome. Every day I had at least 4 free periods (3 APs, one lunch) and some days I had a scheduled free, so it was pretty much like having no school.

I don't know if that's the same with my own high school. But that does seem great: having three periods to myself is a fantastic way for doing homework, reading books in the school library, and so on.

I assume that this doesn't apply to my Honors class, does it?

Contradiction
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 3:43:22 PM
At 7/16/2011 3:13:52 PM, Contradiction wrote:

So, if I comprehended your advice, I should entail myself to a lengthy study time (perhaps more than weeks). Should I review books, my notes, past test papers, and even read history books to obtain accessory, but potentially useful, information. As you know, I am entering an AP world history class, and I distinctively remember talking with a student---a sophomore-- about it. He gave my an illustration of the past test paper and it seemed that my next year won't be such a predicament as I thought....I also inquired another sophomore, in my foreign language class, about AP world history and learned that it was to cover the beginning of time to quite possibly the current day....

That's *if* you want to self-study the course. If you're going to take the course in a conventional classroom setting, you don't necessarily have to commit yourself to extra-studying -- unless you're dead set about getting a five (Which I was about AP US History). Though in my experience, it isn't that hard to get a good score for AP World History. The only prep I did was to read a review book two months before the test. I also had some working knowledge already from honors world history.

I went to a private school, so after the AP exams we just used the period as a study hall to do whatever we want. Most of the times we'd just play chess :P