Jump to topic:

teachers carry gun to school

Hades
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2009 2:09:31 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I m debating this topic in my debate class is for congress. Im discusing the economic aspect of it. how much it would cost to provide teachers with gun, and to re enforce safety now that they have guns.. any help will be great.. thanks
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2009 4:28:20 PM
If teachers have the right to carry a gun, it doesn't necessarily mean that they should be given one by the state. It is a right, not a privilege.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2009 4:43:50 PM
I don't think this would be a good idea. Opens up the door to abuse, vigilantism and more deaths in schools. Teachers don't need to be heroes, putting their lives and their student lives one the line.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2009 4:51:31 PM
At 4/25/2009 4:43:50 PM, Volkov wrote:
I don't think this would be a good idea. Opens up the door to abuse, vigilantism and more deaths in schools. Teachers don't need to be heroes, putting their lives and their student lives one the line.

Teachers and students with firearms are often the only way to prevent deaths in a school shooting. The police can do little except negotiate, or get more people killed.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2009 4:58:21 PM
At 4/25/2009 4:51:31 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Teachers and students with firearms are often the only way to prevent deaths in a school shooting. The police can do little except negotiate, or get more people killed.

I'm all for allowing police officers to be inside schools. There needs to be some semblance of protection. But putting firearms in the hands of teachers or students who have no proper training and are just as likely to use it to threaten their fellows, or during an actual firefight kill more innocents than enemies, is not the way to protect our schools.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2009 5:11:58 PM
At 4/25/2009 4:58:21 PM, Volkov wrote:

I'm all for allowing police officers to be inside schools. There needs to be some semblance of protection. But putting firearms in the hands of teachers or students who have no proper training and are just as likely to use it to threaten their fellows, or during an actual firefight kill more innocents than enemies, is not the way to protect our schools.

Putting cops in a school costs money.

Allowing teachers to carry firearms which they have a license for and have bought themselves does not cost anything other than some paperwork and a signature.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2009 5:19:26 PM
At 4/25/2009 5:11:58 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Allowing teachers to carry firearms which they have a license for and have bought themselves does not cost anything other than some paperwork and a signature.

Its money that would be worth it. Teachers cannot be easily vetted for psychiatric issues and students would be able to easily steal a weapon from a teacher. The only way to ensure that neither of these possibilities occurs is to train the teachers through the military or police academies, costing even more money than it would to keep a trained police officer on school grounds.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2009 5:21:44 PM
At 4/25/2009 5:19:26 PM, Volkov wrote:

Its money that would be worth it. Teachers cannot be easily vetted for psychiatric issues and students would be able to easily steal a weapon from a teacher. The only way to ensure that neither of these possibilities occurs is to train the teachers through the military or police academies, costing even more money than it would to keep a trained police officer on school grounds.

The cost of putting 2 police officers in every school would be a severe drain on the economy, and takes cops of the streets stopping petty crimes.

Of course, this is a case of Vigilantism is justified when the government is unable to enact the law.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2009 5:25:22 PM
At 4/25/2009 5:21:44 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 4/25/2009 5:19:26 PM, Volkov wrote:

The cost of putting 2 police officers in every school would be a severe drain on the economy, and takes cops of the streets stopping petty crimes.

Of course, this is a case of Vigilantism is justified when the government is unable to enact the law.

Not if the government actually boosted police forces like it is supposed to.

Vigilantism doesn't need to be justified because the government is unable to enact law, because the government should be actually doing something. We want to cut down on vigilantism and keep our schools safe and take away the abuse of the law by people who claim to be performing justice.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2009 1:53:30 AM
It's a stupid idea. Just because you have a gun doesn't mean you're automatically equipped with firearm training skills. Not to mention the ability to survive under high-pressure situations like when students ACTUALLY do start a shooting. I have fists and legs like any other person, but it takes long training to be able to get in a street fight and lay down the law on my enemy with a martial arts flying knee.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2009 5:32:48 AM
The gun isn't to turn the Teacher into a superhero. It's to give them a defence against attack.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2009 11:54:54 AM
I want students to be able to have concealed carry. But please ignore that...
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2009 12:01:19 PM
At 4/26/2009 11:54:54 AM, wjmelements wrote:

I am in favour of that too. Of course, there should be a special license for that to check they won't turn the school into an oasis of blood. However, some other students and one or two teachers are bound to be armed.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2009 12:03:51 PM
At 4/26/2009 12:01:19 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 4/26/2009 11:54:54 AM, wjmelements wrote:

I am in favour of that too. Of course, there should be a special license for that to check they won't turn the school into an oasis of blood. However, some other students and one or two teachers are bound to be armed.

Of course.
Schools are places of mass killings because everyone is defenseless.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2009 12:39:31 PM
At 4/26/2009 5:32:48 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
The gun isn't to turn the Teacher into a superhero. It's to give them a defence against attack.

When you arm someone to defend against an attack that may never come, you begin to have many unforseen consequences.
Marine1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2009 1:01:35 PM

So you want to give him a handgun? When the building is storm by police there will be three parties fighting the teacher, the police, and the instigator. How will you tell the difference between them? When the fighting starts their will not be time to stop and say oh let me see you ID so i can identify you as a teacher.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2009 1:08:22 PM
At 4/26/2009 1:01:35 PM, Marine1 wrote:

So you want to give him a handgun? When the building is storm by police there will be three parties fighting the teacher, the police, and the instigator. How will you tell the difference between them? When the fighting starts their will not be time to stop and say oh let me see you ID so i can identify you as a teacher.

To expand on this point, the police will not know who has a gun and who won't too. Those students who are in their class praying for their lives may be carrying guns - the police do not know. The perpetrators of such an incident will not know either. So on the chance someone storms a school and doesn't want to kill everyone, they may just have to because of the threat of students carrying guns.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2009 3:00:33 PM
400th post! :)

At 4/26/2009 1:01:35 PM, Marine1 wrote:

Let's see....
Instigator: a kid; under 19 (assuming that the kid is the instigator)
Teacher: an adult; over 22
Policeman: an adult; wearing a uniform
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2009 3:25:05 PM
At 4/26/2009 3:21:50 PM, mongeese wrote:
Teachers can wear ID badges.

A gunman could easily get an ID badge. In fact, the gunman could even be a teacher. That is an idea easily open to abuse. The only way to ensure the best safety is to have police officers in schools.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2009 4:13:47 PM
At 4/26/2009 3:25:05 PM, Volkov wrote:

A gunman could easily get an ID badge. In fact, the gunman could even be a teacher. That is an idea easily open to abuse. The only way to ensure the best safety is to have police officers in schools.

A gunman could easily get a police badge. In fact, the gunman could even be a police officer. That is an idea easily open to abuse. The only way to ensure the best safety is ????? in schools.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2009 5:03:19 PM
At 4/26/2009 4:13:47 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

A gunman could easily get a police badge. In fact, the gunman could even be a police officer. That is an idea easily open to abuse. The only way to ensure the best safety is ????? in schools.

Not as easily as a teacher could. Police go through psychiatric training to ensure they're not insane. Teachers do not. Unless you want them to, in which case it will have to come out of the taxpayer's pocket. Allowing civilians to carry guns in schools is too risky, and making sure they're not certifiably insane will cost taxpayers money. Where do we go from here?
Marine1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2009 1:26:00 PM
At 4/26/2009 5:03:19 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 4/26/2009 4:13:47 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Not as easily as a teacher could. Police go through psychiatric training to ensure they're not insane. Teachers do not. Unless you want them to, in which case it will have to come out of the taxpayer's pocket. Allowing civilians to carry guns in schools is too risky, and making sure they're not certifiably insane will cost taxpayers money. Where do we go from here?

to Big Brother
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2012 11:19:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
if they dont carry a gun, how else do they shoot the kids when theyre outta line???????
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Aaronroy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 11:01:27 PM
The teacher: If they provide themselves with their own weapon, meet training requirements and get the approved consent of the school administration; I don't see why not. Schools wouldn't need to have armed teachers if the county invested in putting law enforcement officers in schools. Most schools in my county have a resource management position that is filled by an armed police officer. Just 1 would fill the need.

Students: No. Students, especially those not in Universities and colleges abroad, I would typically regard as pretentious and I honestly would trust with a gun, especially when they don't even meet the age requirement to even own a firearm.
turn down for h'what
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 8:46:17 AM
At 4/12/2012 11:01:27 PM, Aaronroy wrote:
The teacher: If they provide themselves with their own weapon, meet training requirements and get the approved consent of the school administration; I don't see why not. Schools wouldn't need to have armed teachers if the county invested in putting law enforcement officers in schools. Most schools in my county have a resource management position that is filled by an armed police officer. Just 1 would fill the need.

Students: No. Students, especially those not in Universities and colleges abroad, I would typically regard as pretentious and I honestly would trust with a gun, especially when they don't even meet the age requirement to even own a firearm.

Basically this.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
SuburbiaSurvivor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2012 3:39:23 PM
I believe that Texans should not carry guns because of reasons.
"I'm going to tell you something that you're never going to forget, SuburbiaSurvivor. Women... Are just human beings"