Jump to topic:

Do you start you HW right after school?

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 3:56:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I was wondering, do any of you highschool students start homework right after school? I try to, but I'm too tired or lazy. Honors classes never give you work that can be done in 30 minutes, its usually tedious and drawn out. Last year I started hw at 7 pm and finished at 12 pm on average. I'm pretty sure I lost 180 hours of sleep. Where do you find the motivation to start it right away?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 9:05:23 PM
Bump. I need help on this before school starts.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 9:10:01 PM
Tell me about it--I'm in an IB school now, and taking all pre-IB diploma classes. I remember that at the end of the year I think I suffered from some form of clinical exhaustion (if that's a thing). And that's not due to lack of sleep, but mental exhaustion--like burnout.

And next year Full IB will be even MORE fun! Better go sacrifice my life outside of school now.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 9:12:00 PM
At 8/19/2011 3:56:33 PM, 000ike wrote:
I was wondering, do any of you highschool students start homework right after school? I try to, but I'm too tired or lazy. Honors classes never give you work that can be done in 30 minutes, its usually tedious and drawn out. Last year I started hw at 7 pm and finished at 12 pm on average. I'm pretty sure I lost 180 hours of sleep. Where do you find the motivation to start it right away?

Oh, and to answer your question, I generally take like half an hour to an hour of recoup before starting.

School started on Wed, for me. Still getting used to the 5 am schedule.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 9:16:25 PM
At 8/19/2011 9:12:00 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Oh, and to answer your question, I generally take like half an hour to an hour of recoup before starting.

That only works for me on subjects I find interesting. History, English, and French I can do 1 and 1/2 hours after school. Algebra 2 however, no way. Its not that I find it hard, more like time consuming and boring.
freedomsquared
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 9:19:09 PM
I do busy work right afterwards, but I always procrastinate on projects.
But it's Norway, sort of the Canada of Europe."
-innomen

http://www.debate.org...
-humorous debate with brian_eggleston

-tournament debate, need votes
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 9:25:36 PM
At 8/19/2011 9:16:25 PM, 000ike wrote:

That only works for me on subjects I find interesting. History, English, and French I can do 1 and 1/2 hours after school. Algebra 2 however, no way. Its not that I find it hard, more like time consuming and boring.

PURE math not being an interest of mine, I'm happy that I chose to not take Alg 2 this year--sticking to Pre-IB Geometry. HOWEVER, I did double up in science, taking Pre-IB Physics in addition to PIB Chem.

Who knows? Maybe Physics will help me gain a new perspective for debating? I dunno.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 9:37:39 PM
At 8/19/2011 9:25:36 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

PURE math not being an interest of mine, I'm happy that I chose to not take Alg 2 this year--sticking to Pre-IB Geometry. HOWEVER, I did double up in science, taking Pre-IB Physics in addition to PIB Chem.

Who knows? Maybe Physics will help me gain a new perspective for debating? I dunno.

chemistry will probably help with debating more than physics. Physics is pure math, except this time, you have to read the problem make your own equations, solve them, and apply them. Something like finding the amount of energy required to propel a 10 ounce baseball, 5 yards distance. I take physics 11th grade. Not looking forward to that.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 10:52:09 PM
My freshman year often allowed me enough time to do homework...I haven't been procrastinating on projects, except for my technology homework, which I find trivial compared to the history papers, English essays, math packets, and biology review course sheets and so on...Since everyone around me emphasized that procrastination will prove to be deleterious, I thought that I usually complete my homework as soon as possible, after I reach home around 4:00 p.m., or at least five o'clock, due to club activities...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 10:57:47 PM
At 8/19/2011 9:37:39 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/19/2011 9:25:36 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

chemistry will probably help with debating more than physics. Physics is pure math, except this time, you have to read the problem make your own equations, solve them, and apply them. Something like finding the amount of energy required to propel a 10 ounce baseball, 5 yards distance. I take physics 11th grade. Not looking forward to that.

Physics can be applied to economics, since economists basically just take ideas from physics and use it in economics to make it more of a hard science.
Open borders debate:
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 12:50:51 PM
I do homework at two in the morning on the day of the deadline. Or skip class if I think I'm getting into trouble. Luckily, I have a number of extracurricular activities I can blame for skipping class, so it's all good.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 1:12:33 PM
When I was in high school I did homework during class time, whenever I had a few spare minutes. I would always get yelled out for pulling out Biology homework during Writer's Craft :p

I think trying to do your homework right after school will lead to burn out, like someone else mentioned. Just manage your time well and don't leave things to the last minute.
el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 1:47:13 PM
i never did homework :P
DATCMOTO's moustache makes him look like an eejit...

edit: nah, i'm jealous... God's an eejit definitely though!
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 12:17:24 PM
What I found is that I can't trust myself with free time after school as I always screw off. I give myself a 15 minute recoup time, (get some water or a snack), then go straight to work, putting the busywork first (math sheets, history notes, etc), and more complex work last (complex work takes longer, and after spending a lot of time on a project the last thing I want to do is more busywork). Once I'm done I listen to some good, but relaxing music and meditate to get all the stress out of my head. Then I do some recreation like hanging out with friends, playing video games, or drawing.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 4:13:23 PM
At 8/23/2011 12:17:24 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
What I found is that I can't trust myself with free time after school as I always screw off. I give myself a 15 minute recoup time, (get some water or a snack), then go straight to work, putting the busywork first (math sheets, history notes, etc), and more complex work last (complex work takes longer, and after spending a lot of time on a project the last thing I want to do is more busywork). Once I'm done I listen to some good, but relaxing music and meditate to get all the stress out of my head. Then I do some recreation like hanging out with friends, playing video games, or drawing.

I'll try that. I can't be trusted with free time either. In fact, school starts on the 8th and I'm not done with my summer homework lol.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:00:40 AM
I remember the mindset you guys have, I totally understand. I graduated from one of those prestigious magnet schools too and let me tell you, nobody cares. You'll be surprised. You're going to start valuing different things because of what the people around you will be talking to you about day after day, but the world is huge. I lived in a bubble. I was 14 and all of my "friends" were already talking about their course loads of AP (American version of IB) classes and their plans to apply to the Ivy League schools. These are NOT the type of friends you want to have!

Our school offers the most AP courses out of highschools in the US, and I had a friend who took almost every AP course offered. I took two. He graduated early from a good university just as the recession hit, was unemployed for 6 months, now he makes a crappy living and is too afraid to job search.

I know a lot of Columbia and Cornell graduates, they decided to major in something retarded because they liked it, and now they can't find employment. Their only choice is to have their parents pay for graduate school.

The lesson here is that there's a whole world of employers out there who don't gives a SH!T about your academic track record. That all goes out the window within the first week of you working. The most productive thing you can do for your career is to take less of those stupid advanced classes, and go get a part time job. It doesn't matter if your GPA is a full letter grade below someone else's. When it comes down to it, they'll pick you if you have job experience and good interview skills.

Big picture stuff!
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.