Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

Valedictorian

000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 2:27:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Who's aiming for valedictorian for high school and college? I want to do it mainly for the speech.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 2:29:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I am, though I expect a hard time doing so. After my recent freshman year, I'd a hard time with my technology class or with the exercises within. However, in my sophomore year, I can chose my own major so I expect classes to become more interesting as I try to dedicate myself to do well in them.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Logic_on_rails
Posts: 2,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 4:13:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
For my high school I'd definitely consider myself a frontrunner, although by no means an assured winner. As Man-is-good said, as one go further one can pick up interest, so that's also helpful.

I do like the prospect of that speech. I'm known for including a bit of grandeur in my talking, and that speech would be the perfect occasion.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 4:16:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/22/2011 4:13:13 PM, Logic_on_rails wrote:
For my high school I'd definitely consider myself a frontrunner, although by no means an assured winner. As Man-is-good said, as one go further one can pick up interest, so that's also helpful.

I do like the prospect of that speech. I'm known for including a bit of grandeur in my talking, and that speech would be the perfect occasion.

I would prefer being candid and unpretentious...even though one can easily holster pride after having passed or exceeded in difficult classes such as AP and also being the student with the highest average of grades.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 4:37:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/22/2011 2:29:24 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
I am, though I expect a hard time doing so. After my recent freshman year, I'd a hard time with my technology class or with the exercises within. However, in my sophomore year, I can chose my own major so I expect classes to become more interesting as I try to dedicate myself to do well in them.

I know what you mean. My GPA is currently at 4.01 out of 4.33. My friend is currently, I think, the highest GPA of 4.26. I will have to do a lot better sophomore year starting in september. I ran for student council vice president and gave a speech, little did I know that kids don't care about the best candidate for the job (not that its me, but still..). They only care about who made a funny speech and entertained them. Being valedictorian would give me an opportunity to practice giving a serious speech, one that will encourage people before they go off to college or whatever career path they choose. Speeches like that are what I'm good at, not the stand up comedian act lol.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 11:58:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
and I also do it so I can get into Harvard or Princeton.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 12:03:40 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/22/2011 11:58:24 PM, 000ike wrote:
and I also do it so I can get into Harvard or Princeton.

Fantastic, ike. I see that you have dreams that rise as far as the mountains. Congratulations for communicating those dreams and hopes to us. We were interested in knowing them.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 12:08:20 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/23/2011 12:03:40 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/22/2011 11:58:24 PM, 000ike wrote:
and I also do it so I can get into Harvard or Princeton.

Fantastic, ike. I see that you have dreams that rise as far as the mountains. Congratulations for communicating those dreams and hopes to us. We were interested in knowing them.

and thankyou for listening.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 12:15:28 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I see that someone is still sore that I criticized ONE of his posts, on ONE forum SEVERAL days ago.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 12:20:44 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I suppose I'm a valedictorian, having graduated two years early. I didn't get a title or get to give a speech though. I actually didn't attend the ceremony.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 12:29:04 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/23/2011 12:20:44 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I suppose I'm a valedictorian, having graduated two years early. I didn't get a title or get to give a speech though. I actually didn't attend the ceremony.

why?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 12:30:17 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/23/2011 12:29:04 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/23/2011 12:20:44 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I suppose I'm a valedictorian, having graduated two years early. I didn't get a title or get to give a speech though. I actually didn't attend the ceremony.

why?

It was homeschool so I didn't know anyone. Didn't feel like it.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 12:33:32 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/23/2011 12:30:17 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 8/23/2011 12:29:04 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/23/2011 12:20:44 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I suppose I'm a valedictorian, having graduated two years early. I didn't get a title or get to give a speech though. I actually didn't attend the ceremony.

why?

It was homeschool so I didn't know anyone. Didn't feel like it.

Wait, you graduated from hs already? What are you doing now then?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 2:46:21 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/23/2011 12:33:32 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 8/23/2011 12:30:17 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 8/23/2011 12:29:04 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/23/2011 12:20:44 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I suppose I'm a valedictorian, having graduated two years early. I didn't get a title or get to give a speech though. I actually didn't attend the ceremony.

why?

It was homeschool so I didn't know anyone. Didn't feel like it.

Wait, you graduated from hs already? What are you doing now then?

Passing my time tell I can get the hell out of this town in a year.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 9:52:03 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/23/2011 2:46:21 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 8/23/2011 12:33:32 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 8/23/2011 12:30:17 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 8/23/2011 12:29:04 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/23/2011 12:20:44 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I suppose I'm a valedictorian, having graduated two years early. I didn't get a title or get to give a speech though. I actually didn't attend the ceremony.

why?

It was homeschool so I didn't know anyone. Didn't feel like it.

Wait, you graduated from hs already? What are you doing now then?

Passing my time tell I can get the hell out of this town in a year.

So......................................................nothing?

You will make a good homeless person :)
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Logic_on_rails
Posts: 2,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 1:23:32 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/23/2011 2:19:46 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
My school happens to be 1/3 Asian. I'm outgunned and outnumbered.

If that's meant to be some sort of excuse, my school's got nearly 70% of the students coming from a non-English speaking background. Plus, there's a fun thing in NSW called the selective schools system.

I know you probably intended the line as a joke, but it's more a cultural thing than an intelligence thing here.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it